15/08/13 14:12 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
A Chinese zoo’s supposed “African lion” was exposed as a fraud when the dog used as a substitute started barking.
The zoo in the People’s Park of Luohe, in the central province of Henan, replaced exotic exhibits with common species, according to the state-run Beijing Youth Daily.
It quoted a customer surnamed Liu who wanted to show her son the different sounds animals made — but he pointed out that the animal in the cage labelled “African lion” was barking.
The beast was in fact a Tibetan mastiff — a large and long-haired breed of dog.
“The zoo is absolutely cheating us,” the paper quoted Liu, who was charged 15 yuan ($2.45) for the ticket, as saying. “They are trying to disguise the dogs as lions.”
Video about the liondog:
Three other species housed incorrectly included two coypu rodents in a snake’s cage, a white fox in a leopard’s den, and another dog in a wolf pen.
A Tibetan Mastiff. Photo credit CC BY Flickr/timquijano http://eurone.ws/18xawSq
The chief of the park’s animal department, Liu Suya, told the paper that while it does have a lion, it had been taken to a breeding facility and the dog — which belonged to an employee — had been temporarily housed in the zoo over safety concerns.
Users of China’s Twitter-like Sina Weibo service mocked the zoo.
“This is not funny at all. It’s sad for both the zoo and the animals,” said one.
“They should at least use a husky to pretend to be a wolf,” said another.
Credit photo CC BY Flickr/istolethetv http://eurone.ws/16o8UN8
- 1Turkey: two journalists jailed over Syria smuggling reports
- 2Questions raised after pro-Kurdish lawyer shot dead in southern Turkey
- 3All eyes on King Tut’s tomb in search for ancient Egypt’s lost Queen Nefertiti
- 4Another border fence in Europe ahead of crucial migration summit
- 5Merkel faces call to resign amid migrant crisis criticism
- 1Lavrov hits Turkey with more penalties, doubts commitment to war on “secret allies” ISIL
- 2Top Kurdish lawyer Tahir Elci shot dead in Turkey
- 3Turkey warns Russia not to ‘play with fire’ over downing of fighter jet
- 4Belgian police release new details about on-the-run fifth Paris suspect
- 5Mali: at least 3 dead in attack on UN peacekeepers base in Kidal
- 1Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 2Russia confirms Turks have shot down one of its planes on Syrian border
- 3Paris attacker Abdelhamid Abaaoud ‘returned to scene of shootings’
- 4Crimea: state of emergency declared
- 5Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 7latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 10Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 11New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 12world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 13‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 14Latest sport news
- 15‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 16Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 18Romanians’ cold revolt against corruption
- 19Latest News Bulletin
- 20No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
Marathon great Radcliffe cleared of all doping charges
Black Friday in America: crowds in stores thin, but big at computers
French Foreign Minister foresees Syrian forces in the fight against ISIL
What is the EU’s drive for a circular economy all about?
And also… #1in5Muslims; not quite terrorism; Russia’s unlikely friendship
Wires > News
- 14:07 CET Thousands gather for funeral of top Kurdish lawyer
- 13:46 CET Slovakia to file lawsuit over EU migrant quotas before December 18…
- 13:34 CET Paris attacks a risk for recovery in Italy – minister tells…
- 13:31 CET Ukraine tightens control over foreign charter flights
- 13:14 CET Burkina Faso votes to choose first new leader in decades
- 13:02 CET World climate rallies put pressure on Paris summit to act
- 12:49 CET Turkey to help EU curb migration in exchange for cash, …
- 12:28 CET Three-way tie seen in Spain’s vote as Ciudadanos gains ground