There has been a powerful and deadly explosion in southern Beirut.
The blast was near a complex used by Lebanon’s militant group Hezbollah.
Lebanon’s health minister said 16 people had died and more than 200 were wounded.
Eyewitnesses reported a number of cars destroyed and extensive damage to at least six buildings with people trapped inside by fires.
Lebanon’s interior minister confirmed the cause was a car bomb.
A previously unknown Islamist group claimed responsibility for the explosion in a video posted on the internet, saying it had targeted Hezbollah. In the video it claimed this was its second such operation and there would be more.
The blast occured one month after a huge car bomb wounded 53 people in a nearby neighbourhood.
The area is a stronghold of Hezbollah which has been fighting alongside President Bashar al-Assad’s forces in Syria’s civil war.
The violence raises fears of Lebanon being pulled further into that conflict.
Residents of southern Beirut said Hezbollah, backed by Iran and Syria, had been on high alert and stepped up security in the area after warnings from Syrian rebels of possible retaliation for the group’s support for President Bashar al-Assad.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1‘Allahu Akbar’ lone wolf attacker shot dead by French police
- 2Who is the EU’s worst at spending Brussels’ billions?
- 3ISIL fighters ‘flee’ Iraq’s Sinjar as Peshmerga troops ‘make gains’
- 4New laws to ‘wipe out’ militants after Pakistan school massacre
- 5New Romanian President Klaus Iohannis vows to tackle corruption
- 1Rosetta team is euronews’ people of 2014
- 2Pakistanis protest against Taliban as army intensifies offensive in north-west
- 3‘Allahu Akbar’ lone wolf attacker shot dead by French police
- 4Australia: two hostages and gunman dead after police storm Sydney siege café
- 5ISIL fighters ‘flee’ Iraq’s Sinjar as Peshmerga troops ‘make gains’
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia | euronews, world news
- 3Le Pen: I admire ‘cool head’ Putin’s resistance to West’s new Cold War | euronews, interview
- 4McCain blasts Europe’s approach to Ukraine conflict ‘a joke’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 5Which countries in Europe cause the most air pollution damage? | euronews, world news
- 6Moldova pro-EU parties take narrow lead in elections | euronews, world news
- 7Grenoble: Europe’s first ad-free city | euronews, world news
- 8NATO joins search for ‘Russian submarine’ off Scottish coast | euronews, world news
- 9European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 10Ukraine reports accident at Zaporizhzhya nuclear power plant | euronews, world news
- 11Crude awakening: Romania’s Black Sea oil and gas finds fuel Europe’s energy hopes | euronews, reporter
- 12The American Century comes to an end as China becomes the world’s largest economy | euronews, economy
- 13International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 14Belgium’s former queen Fabiola dies at 86 | euronews, world news
- 15Germans demand honour for Turkish woman beaten to death | euronews, world news
- 16Chechen ‘death’ unit fighting with rebels in eastern Ukraine | euronews, world news
- 17Portugal: Ex-PM José Socrates held in corruption probe | euronews, world news
- 18Pakistan Taliban ‘kill over 100’ in Peshawar school attack | euronews, world news
- 19Israeli warplanes hit targets in Syria | euronews, world news
- 20Raids across Turkey target media outlets linked to Erdogan foe Fethullah Gulen | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 15:22 CET Russia watchdog blocks web pages calling for Navalny support…
- 14:54 CET U.S. leads 22 more air strikes against Islamic State – task force
- 14:28 CET Pope says Vatican administration is sick with power and greed
- 14:20 CET Five killed as Libyan forces and Islamist fighters clash in…
- 14:05 CET Police fire on Myanmar protesters, one dead, 20 hurt – reports
- 13:59 CET Germany sees no need to ease Russia sanctions despite minister’s…
- 13:54 CET Ukraine threatens to cut off power to rebel-held regions if usage…
- 12:54 CET Dozens of suspected Kenyan separatists charged with police camp…