There has been a powerful and deadly explosion in southern Beirut.
The blast was near a complex used by Lebanon’s militant group Hezbollah.
Lebanon’s health minister said 16 people had died and more than 200 were wounded.
Eyewitnesses reported a number of cars destroyed and extensive damage to at least six buildings with people trapped inside by fires.
Lebanon’s interior minister confirmed the cause was a car bomb.
A previously unknown Islamist group claimed responsibility for the explosion in a video posted on the internet, saying it had targeted Hezbollah. In the video it claimed this was its second such operation and there would be more.
The blast occured one month after a huge car bomb wounded 53 people in a nearby neighbourhood.
The area is a stronghold of Hezbollah which has been fighting alongside President Bashar al-Assad’s forces in Syria’s civil war.
The violence raises fears of Lebanon being pulled further into that conflict.
Residents of southern Beirut said Hezbollah, backed by Iran and Syria, had been on high alert and stepped up security in the area after warnings from Syrian rebels of possible retaliation for the group’s support for President Bashar al-Assad.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Madeleine Albright on evil, Putin, Trump, Syria and diplomatic kisses
Latest world news
Fatal rebel rocket attack on government hospital in Aleppo says Syrian state TV
Spain arrests four men allegedly behind on-line Islamist Radicalisation plot
Probe indicates falsified documents in Flamanville nuclear plant construction
Turkey to abolish visas for Greek Cypriots
Australia vows no change in asylum policy after Somali woman sets herself on fire
Wires > News
- 12:24 CET Canadian held for second day after social media criticism of Nepal…
- 12:22 CET China to investigate hospital dying student found on search engine
- 12:15 CET Rebel rockets hit Aleppo hospital, dozens of casualties – Syrian…
- 12:08 CET Czechs to hike healthcare salaries to stop doctors from leaving…
- 11:59 CET Spanish King calls national election for June 26
- 11:52 CET U.S. service member killed in Iraq – U.S. defence chief
- 11:48 CET France’s Hollande sends labour bill to parliament in face of…
- 11:38 CET Australian government delivers sombre election budget for…