There has been a powerful and deadly explosion in southern Beirut.
The blast was near a complex used by Lebanon’s militant group Hezbollah.
Lebanon’s health minister said 16 people had died and more than 200 were wounded.
Eyewitnesses reported a number of cars destroyed and extensive damage to at least six buildings with people trapped inside by fires.
Lebanon’s interior minister confirmed the cause was a car bomb.
A previously unknown Islamist group claimed responsibility for the explosion in a video posted on the internet, saying it had targeted Hezbollah. In the video it claimed this was its second such operation and there would be more.
The blast occured one month after a huge car bomb wounded 53 people in a nearby neighbourhood.
The area is a stronghold of Hezbollah which has been fighting alongside President Bashar al-Assad’s forces in Syria’s civil war.
The violence raises fears of Lebanon being pulled further into that conflict.
Residents of southern Beirut said Hezbollah, backed by Iran and Syria, had been on high alert and stepped up security in the area after warnings from Syrian rebels of possible retaliation for the group’s support for President Bashar al-Assad.
- 1Pope Francis kisses hands of Holocaust survivors
- 23D, 360° virtual reality is ready to launch – on an adult film
- 3Bombing in Syria not World War III, says Russia’s EU ambassador
- 4Migrant crisis: Hungary poised to shut unofficial border crossings with Croatia
- 5Syria: We believe that Russia has the wrong strategy, says US
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Syrian refugee tripped by shamed camera woman is named
- 3Hungarian reporter who tripped migrants apologises for her actions
- 4NASA discovers evidence of “liquid briny water” flowing on Mars
- 5Latest News Bulletin
- 6At least 220 dead in stampede outside Mecca, Saudi Arabia reports
- 7Hungarian camera woman caught on video kicking and tripping migrants could face jail
- 8International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 9Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees…or are they?
- 10Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees… or are they?
- 11[Live] All the Rugby World Cup news in one place
- 12Spain: Catalan President faces ‘civil disobedience’ charges over breakaway vote
- 13International news | euronews, latest international news
- 14Banzai back in the vocabulary as Japan passes law allowing combat deployments
- 15Exclusive: shipwatchers chart Russian hardware heading into Med
- 16Which European countries offer the most social benefits to migrants?
- 17What the top tweets worldwide are saying about #refugees
- 18[Live] Catalonia: separatists heading for clear win in crucial elections
- 19Israel agents ‘incite’ stone-throwing in West Bank
- 20Fifa suspends Blatter, Platini and Valcke
Latest world news
Twin blasts kill dozens in Turkish capital
Party in Pyongyang: North Korea celebrates 70 years of Worker’s Party
US and Russia to resume talks on air safety over Syria
Friday proves deadly in Israel and the Palestinian territories as violence goes up another notch
Obama met by pro-gun protests at scene of latest school shooting in Oregon
Wires > News
- 12:32 CET Twin bombs kill 30 at pro-Kurdish rally in Turkish capital
- 12:05 CET Nobel laureate chemist Richard Heck, 84, dies in Manila
- 11:51 CET Spain arrests 89 accused of running people-smuggling ring
- 11:22 CET Isolated North Korea says ready for war with U.S. as it marks…
- 10:56 CET Hundreds face off in Australian town in anti-Islam protest
- 10:16 CET Accidental China restaurant explosion kills at least 17 – Xinhua
- 10:13 CET Germany, European Commission mull solidarity tax for refugees -…
- 08:53 CET Turkish police detain editor of paper close to Erdogan foe – media