There has been a powerful and deadly explosion in southern Beirut.
The blast was near a complex used by Lebanon’s militant group Hezbollah.
Lebanon’s health minister said 16 people had died and more than 200 were wounded.
Eyewitnesses reported a number of cars destroyed and extensive damage to at least six buildings with people trapped inside by fires.
Lebanon’s interior minister confirmed the cause was a car bomb.
A previously unknown Islamist group claimed responsibility for the explosion in a video posted on the internet, saying it had targeted Hezbollah. In the video it claimed this was its second such operation and there would be more.
The blast occured one month after a huge car bomb wounded 53 people in a nearby neighbourhood.
The area is a stronghold of Hezbollah which has been fighting alongside President Bashar al-Assad’s forces in Syria’s civil war.
The violence raises fears of Lebanon being pulled further into that conflict.
Residents of southern Beirut said Hezbollah, backed by Iran and Syria, had been on high alert and stepped up security in the area after warnings from Syrian rebels of possible retaliation for the group’s support for President Bashar al-Assad.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Twelve injured as huge storm lashes Australian city of Brisbane
- 2Heartbroken dog waits in vain for its dead owner in Russia
- 3Which countries in Europe cause the most air pollution damage?
- 4Kim Jong-un hands high ranking Pyongyang position to his younger sister
- 5Australian cricketer Phillip Hughes dies two days after being hit by ball
- 1Kim Jong-un hands high ranking Pyongyang position to his younger sister
- 2Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia
- 3Italy: Tourist fined 20,000 euros for damaging Rome’s Colosseum
- 4Australian cricketer Phillip Hughes dies two days after being hit by ball
- 5Thanksgiving turkey pardoned by president
- 1Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia
- 2Kim Jong-un hands high ranking Pyongyang position to his younger sister
- 3Putin denies he wants to create a new Iron Curtain
- 4Turkish President sparks row by saying women are not equal to men
- 5Clashes as Hong Kong protesters try to regain lost ground
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Italy swamped by flash floods | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 6Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia | euronews, world news
- 7Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 8India PM Modi appoints Yoga minister | euronews, world news
- 9[Live] Rosetta’s Philae lands on comet 67P and enters the history books | euronews, world news
- 10European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 11Vladimir Putin most powerful man in the world – Forbes | euronews, world news
- 12International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 13Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 14Nadia Comaneci: gymnast of perfection and defector | euronews, the global conversation
- 15euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 16Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania | euronews, world news
- 17Putin plans to leave G20 talks early amid Ukraine pressure | euronews, world news
- 18International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 19Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released | euronews, world news
- 20Catalonia announces new ‘independence plan’ | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 14:13 CET German support for sanctions on Russia rise, poll finds
- 14:08 CET Global air ticket fraud sweep nets 118 arrests
- 13:41 CET Jail term of over four years sought for German Islamic State…
- 13:39 CET Cameroon frees Central African rebel chief Miskine for hostages
- 13:23 CET New 15-minute test for Ebola to undergo trials in West Africa
- 13:19 CET France to recognise Palestinian state if peace talks fail
- 13:16 CET Russia protests over anti-Russian billboards in Montenegro
- 13:14 CET Offer Israeli Arabs money to move to Palestinian state – Lieberman