There has been a powerful and deadly explosion in southern Beirut.
The blast was near a complex used by Lebanon’s militant group Hezbollah.
Lebanon’s health minister said 16 people had died and more than 200 were wounded.
Eyewitnesses reported a number of cars destroyed and extensive damage to at least six buildings with people trapped inside by fires.
Lebanon’s interior minister confirmed the cause was a car bomb.
A previously unknown Islamist group claimed responsibility for the explosion in a video posted on the internet, saying it had targeted Hezbollah. In the video it claimed this was its second such operation and there would be more.
The blast occured one month after a huge car bomb wounded 53 people in a nearby neighbourhood.
The area is a stronghold of Hezbollah which has been fighting alongside President Bashar al-Assad’s forces in Syria’s civil war.
The violence raises fears of Lebanon being pulled further into that conflict.
Residents of southern Beirut said Hezbollah, backed by Iran and Syria, had been on high alert and stepped up security in the area after warnings from Syrian rebels of possible retaliation for the group’s support for President Bashar al-Assad.
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist
- 2US Navy deploys two more warships near Yemen as conflict escalates
- 3Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different?
- 4Fire and brimstone show EU deal is close, Varoufakis tells euronews
- 5Ethiopia: Clashes at rally to mourn Christians killed by ISIL in Libya
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 4Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 5The migrants tragedy in the Mediterranean sparks creative satirical response | euronews, world news
- 6Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 7Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 8Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 9Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 10ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 11International news | euronews, latest international news
- 12Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
- 13Indonesia executes five foreigners despite protest | euronews, world news
- 14International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 15Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 16eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 17Energy-generating clothes and smart lights join the Internet of Things | euronews, hi-tech
- 18Fighting Boko Haram: Chad aims to ‘destroy’ militant group | euronews, world news
- 19International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 20World news video | euronews the latest world news online | breaking world news video
Wires > News
- 17:46 CET Tsipras presses for May debt deal, threatens referendum
- 17:42 CET Maersk Tigris ship manager declines comment, Pentagon says Iran…
- 17:10 CET Baltimore cleans up, mayor scrambles after riot over…
- 16:50 CET Man who fought in Syria detained in Bosnia over police killing
- 16:39 CET Obama hosts Japan’s Abe, hails alliance as ‘indestructible’
- 16:30 CET EU’s Mogherini, Iran’s Zarif to hold talks in New York on Tuesday
- 16:25 CET Kurds arrest five over bombing outside U.S. consulate in Erbil
- 16:16 CET Xenophobia row exposes rivalry between South Africa and Nigeria