There has been a powerful and deadly explosion in southern Beirut.
The blast was near a complex used by Lebanon’s militant group Hezbollah.
Lebanon’s health minister said 16 people had died and more than 200 were wounded.
Eyewitnesses reported a number of cars destroyed and extensive damage to at least six buildings with people trapped inside by fires.
Lebanon’s interior minister confirmed the cause was a car bomb.
A previously unknown Islamist group claimed responsibility for the explosion in a video posted on the internet, saying it had targeted Hezbollah. In the video it claimed this was its second such operation and there would be more.
The blast occured one month after a huge car bomb wounded 53 people in a nearby neighbourhood.
The area is a stronghold of Hezbollah which has been fighting alongside President Bashar al-Assad’s forces in Syria’s civil war.
The violence raises fears of Lebanon being pulled further into that conflict.
Residents of southern Beirut said Hezbollah, backed by Iran and Syria, had been on high alert and stepped up security in the area after warnings from Syrian rebels of possible retaliation for the group’s support for President Bashar al-Assad.
- 1Migrant killed near Tunnel amid mass attempt to cross channel
- 2Man killed as 1,500 migrants try to enter Channel Tunnel in Calais
- 3Afghan Taliban leader Mullah Omar is confirmed dead
- 4Rome airport fully operational after forest fire affects flights
- 5Turkey keeps up pressure on PKK with more airstrikes
- 1Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 2French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 3Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 4Bobbi Kristina Brown, Whitney Houston’s daughter, dies
- 5Coach has its roof sheared off in low tunnel near Lille
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 6[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 10Latest News Bulletin
- 11International news | euronews, latest international news
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 16At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 17Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 18‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 19Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 20Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
Latest world news
US: Zion Harvey ‘youngest person’ to receive double hand transplant
Turkey pounds PKK positions in ‘anti-terror’ operation
More police for Calais as UK and France pledge to tackle wider migrant crisis
Amnesty International claims Israeli military committed war crimes during Gaza conflict
“Arrivo Berlin” – a project in Berlin training migrants to prepare for work
Wires > News
- 19:52 CET Zimbabwean charged over killing of Cecil the lion
- 19:42 CET Buhari in Cameroon seeks closer partnership against Boko Haram
- 19:29 CET Rome airport fully operational after forest fire affects flights
- 18:57 CET Israel approves new homes in settlement after demolishing two…
- 18:45 CET Syrian army says Israeli planes strike pro-Syrian Palestinian…
- 18:33 CET India set to become world’s most populous country by 2022 – U.N.
- 18:29 CET Afghanistan says Taliban leader dead, urges peace talks
- 17:47 CET U.S. approves possible sale of $5.4 billion in missiles to Saudi…