Tributes have been paid to Dutch Prince Johan Friso who has died at the age of 44.
The younger brother of the new Dutch king, Willem-Alexander had been in a coma for 18 months after a skiing accident.
Dozens of people left messages of condolence outside the royal palace in The Hague.
“It’s still a shock because despite him being in a coma from which you thought he would never recover, it’s still a shock when it happens,” said Marieke de Vries.
Senior citizen Jan de Router said: “This must have been so hard for his family and especially for his mother Queen Beatrix. Although she’s a princess, she will always be the queen for me.”
“I think it must be very difficult now for Princess Beatrix, Mabel and her children. A very difficult period,” said local resident Wil van Ess.
Prince Friso never regained consciousness after his off-piste skiing accident in Austria last year.
In a statement, the government said he died of complications arising from brain damage caused by oxygen deprivation.
- 1German police make progress in profiling of Andreas Lubitz, as new video emerges
- 2“I hope I never return to a locked door”: Pilot who foresaw Germanwings crash
- 3Germanwings: Terrifying transcripts of doomed plane’s ‘last minutes’
- 4Lufthansa fears second Germanwings black box may never be found
- 5Germanwings crash: Co-pilot Lubitz had ‘suicidal tendencies’
- 1Germanwings: Terrifying transcripts of doomed plane’s ‘last minutes’
- 2Lufthansa fears second Germanwings black box may never be found
- 3Data recorder is key to ending Flight 9525 speculation
- 4Unconfirmed reports and speculation mount over Germanwings crash
- 5Six world powers to make a final push for a deal over Iran’s nuclear programme
- 1Germanwings crash: search suspended
- 2Prosecutors believe co-pilot deliberately flew Germanwings jet into mountain
- 3‘One day the world will know my name’, Germanwings co-pilot Lubitz ‘declared’
- 4Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say?
- 5Andreas Lubitz: Torn-up sick note for day of crash is found at home of Germanwings co-pilot
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russian rumour mill suggests Putin suffering poor health | euronews, world news
- 3Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 6Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 9Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 10eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 11Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 12Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 13Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 14Handwriting and the digital age, time for change in schools? | euronews, learning world
- 15London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 16French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 17Manufacturing jihad – Nicolas Hénin explains what he learned about ISIL | euronews, the global conversation
- 18Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 19Which EU country has the biggest gender pay gap? | euronews, world news
- 20Romania left red-faced after France-Germany map gaffe | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 17:15 CET U.S., Cuba hold first formal talks on human rights
- 16:50 CET France’s Hollande to press ahead with reforms despite poll losses
- 16:49 CET Vatican defends appointing Chilean bishop accused of hiding abuse
- 16:45 CET United States submits formal plan for Paris climate talks
- 16:20 CET Poland says sought U.S. assurances over Guantanamo inmate
- 16:13 CET Turkish special forces enter courthouse as prosecutor held at…
- 15:52 CET EU lawmakers back plan to end overfishing in the Baltic sea
- 15:49 CET Iraqi forces drive Islamic State out of central Tikrit – PM