Tributes have been paid to Dutch Prince Johan Friso who has died at the age of 44.
The younger brother of the new Dutch king, Willem-Alexander had been in a coma for 18 months after a skiing accident.
Dozens of people left messages of condolence outside the royal palace in The Hague.
“It’s still a shock because despite him being in a coma from which you thought he would never recover, it’s still a shock when it happens,” said Marieke de Vries.
Senior citizen Jan de Router said: “This must have been so hard for his family and especially for his mother Queen Beatrix. Although she’s a princess, she will always be the queen for me.”
“I think it must be very difficult now for Princess Beatrix, Mabel and her children. A very difficult period,” said local resident Wil van Ess.
Prince Friso never regained consciousness after his off-piste skiing accident in Austria last year.
In a statement, the government said he died of complications arising from brain damage caused by oxygen deprivation.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold?
- 2Ceasefire holds in eastern Ukraine except for Mariupol region
- 3Mexico volcano eruption causes further flight cancellations
- 4Labeled as ‘Art/Craft’ a stolen Picasso worth millions is found in New York airport
- 5Dutch town cowers in terror over Eagle owl attacks
- 1Kyiv’s suspension of gas flow to eastern Ukraine ‘smells of genocide’ says Putin
- 2Ukraine crisis: Ceasefire appears to take hold
- 3New, huge black hole challenges pre-existing theories
- 4Mexico volcano eruption causes further flight cancellations
- 5Amnesty report blasts UN, governments for not doing protective duty
- 1Dictating fashion? The strange and unique styles of world leaders
- 2Birdman, Julianne Moore and Eddie Redmayne savour Oscar success
- 3New Gothic 20 euro note revealed
- 4Amnesty calls on permanent members of UN Security Council to lose their veto
- 5Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 3Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 4European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 5Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails? | euronews, world news
- 6English and Spanish among happiest languages | euronews, world news
- 7Dramatic dashcam video captures Taiwan plane crash | euronews, world news
- 8International news | euronews, latest international news
- 9Data ‘mocks’ claims migrants try for Europe ‘expecting’ sea rescue | euronews, world news
- 10Watch: Ukraine MPs in fierce fist fight outside parliament | euronews, world news
- 11Live updates: follow the 2015 Oscars ceremony | euronews, world news
- 12New Greek government unveiled with radical economist named Finance Minister | euronews, world news
- 13euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 14Kosovo emptying out, hopes for independent future exhausted | euronews, world news
- 15International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 16Dark matter, dark energy: ESA and CERN set to unravel mysteries of the cosmos | euronews, space
- 17Canada: Valentine’s Day mass shooting plot foiled say police | euronews, world news
- 18World news video | euronews the latest world news online | breaking world news video
- 19Implanted RFID chip controls office access for Stockholm workers | euronews, hi-tech
- 20International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
Wires > News
- 00:51 CET Iran, six powers to hold nuclear talks in Switzerland on March 5 -…
- 00:34 CET Russian opposition leader Nemtsov shot dead in Moscow
- 22:53 CET U.S. begins vetting Syrian rebels for military training – Pentagon
- 22:24 CET Mexico captures most wanted drug kingpin, former teacher ‘La Tuta’
- 22:19 CET Obama to host Afghan President Ghani at White House in March
- 20:50 CET UAE and Kuwait to reopen embassies in Yemen’s south, backing Hadi
- 20:47 CET Cameron vows to hunt down ‘Jihadi John’
- 20:45 CET Nearly half of Greeks would back Syriza in new election – poll