13/08/13 00:15 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Tributes have been paid to Dutch Prince Johan Friso who has died at the age of 44.
The younger brother of the new Dutch king, Willem-Alexander had been in a coma for 18 months after a skiing accident.
Dozens of people left messages of condolence outside the royal palace in The Hague.
“It’s still a shock because despite him being in a coma from which you thought he would never recover, it’s still a shock when it happens,” said Marieke de Vries.
Senior citizen Jan de Router said: “This must have been so hard for his family and especially for his mother Queen Beatrix. Although she’s a princess, she will always be the queen for me.”
“I think it must be very difficult now for Princess Beatrix, Mabel and her children. A very difficult period,” said local resident Wil van Ess.
Prince Friso never regained consciousness after his off-piste skiing accident in Austria last year.
In a statement, the government said he died of complications arising from brain damage caused by oxygen deprivation.
- 1Turkey blames US for ‘sea of blood’ in region
- 2Nigeria: suicide bomber turns herself in after recognising relatives among potential victims
- 3Einstein was right! Scientists confirm that gravitational waves exist
- 4Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 5World powers arrive in Munich hoping to resurrect Syrian peace talks
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Most Istanbul blast victims ‘were German’, says Turkey
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 6Partnering to grow Europe
- 7Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 8Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 9Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 11Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 12‘National’ funeral for Celine Dion’s husband ‘over the top’
- 13Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 14International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 15Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 16latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 18Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 20world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
Wires > News
- 20:04 CET Kremlin critic Navalny files lawsuit against Putin
- 19:56 CET Spanish court orders house search on former PP official
- 19:41 CET Cypriot president says peace talks make progress but work needed
- 19:39 CET Central Europeans need to do more to help refugees, UN agency says
- 19:32 CET Former Pakistan military leader Musharraf hospitalised with chest…
- 19:20 CET Kerry wants ‘all or nothing’ truce at Syria talks
- 18:58 CET Iran’s windfall from nuclear deal cut in half by debts – …
- 18:56 CET U.N. mission sends Burundi officers home over unrest