13/08/13 00:15 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Tributes have been paid to Dutch Prince Johan Friso who has died at the age of 44.
The younger brother of the new Dutch king, Willem-Alexander had been in a coma for 18 months after a skiing accident.
Dozens of people left messages of condolence outside the royal palace in The Hague.
“It’s still a shock because despite him being in a coma from which you thought he would never recover, it’s still a shock when it happens,” said Marieke de Vries.
Senior citizen Jan de Router said: “This must have been so hard for his family and especially for his mother Queen Beatrix. Although she’s a princess, she will always be the queen for me.”
“I think it must be very difficult now for Princess Beatrix, Mabel and her children. A very difficult period,” said local resident Wil van Ess.
Prince Friso never regained consciousness after his off-piste skiing accident in Austria last year.
In a statement, the government said he died of complications arising from brain damage caused by oxygen deprivation.
- 1The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 2Emergency response: inside Ecuador’s disaster zones
- 3A handshake, a kiss and a hug at historic meeting of Catholic and Muslim leaders
- 4Narrow defeat for Austria far-right as Van der Bellen elected president
- 5Missing EgyptAir flight made no “swerves” before crashing – Cairo
- 1EgyptAir crash: airline says Flight MS804 wreckage found
- 2Venezuela economy fractured with shortages of essentials across the country
- 3The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 4Crimean Tatars look for Eurovision boost on day of national tragedy
- 5Kazakh police break up anti-government protests
Latest world news
Brazil in crisis after leaked tape forces out interim President’s ally
Austria’s president-elect talks of uniting his divided country
Missing EgyptAir flight made no “swerves” before crashing – Cairo
ISIL-claimed bombings on Assad strongholds are condemned by US and Russia
Catalonia: severe viral outbreak hospitalses more than 20 children
Wires > News
- 09:44 CET Cambodia revives Australia refugee deal with planned Nauru visit
- 09:20 CET Greece starts clearing makeshift migrant camp on border
- 09:17 CET Russia, Ukraine commit to Minsk accords in call with France…
- 08:44 CET French police break up refinery blockade amid anti-reform showdown
- 07:09 CET Facebook changes policies on ‘Trending Topics’ after criticism
- 07:04 CET Firefighters protect Canada’s oil sands battling 1,100 C flames
- 06:17 CET South Korea says more North Korean restaurant workers defect from…
- 03:26 CET Brazil’s new top diplomat shifts focus from ideology to trade