Tributes have been paid to Dutch Prince Johan Friso who has died at the age of 44.
The younger brother of the new Dutch king, Willem-Alexander had been in a coma for 18 months after a skiing accident.
Dozens of people left messages of condolence outside the royal palace in The Hague.
“It’s still a shock because despite him being in a coma from which you thought he would never recover, it’s still a shock when it happens,” said Marieke de Vries.
Senior citizen Jan de Router said: “This must have been so hard for his family and especially for his mother Queen Beatrix. Although she’s a princess, she will always be the queen for me.”
“I think it must be very difficult now for Princess Beatrix, Mabel and her children. A very difficult period,” said local resident Wil van Ess.
Prince Friso never regained consciousness after his off-piste skiing accident in Austria last year.
In a statement, the government said he died of complications arising from brain damage caused by oxygen deprivation.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Pakistanis protest against Taliban as army intensifies offensive in north-west
- 2Obama says Sony made a “mistake” in cancelling movie over cyber threats
- 3Australian mother arrested after eight children stabbed to death
- 4Kyiv terror plot foiled, says Ukrainian security service
- 5Second violent tragedy to hit Australia in a week leaves country in shock
- 1Eight children stabbed to death in Cairns, Australia
- 2Putin tries to reassure over rouble worries, but also slams the West
- 3Pakistanis protest against Taliban as army intensifies offensive in north-west
- 4US homeowner ‘defending his castle’ found guilty of killing German teenager
- 5Ukraine: Conflict could soon be over says optimist President Poroshenko
- 1Rosetta team is euronews’ people of 2014
- 2Thailand’s Princess Srirasmi renounces royal status and will divorce
- 3Left-wing extremists run riot in upscale Zurich, Switzerland
- 4Australia: two hostages and gunman dead after police storm Sydney siege café
- 5Putin answers press questions on Ukraine, NATO and the Russian economy
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia | euronews, world news
- 3Le Pen: I admire ‘cool head’ Putin’s resistance to West’s new Cold War | euronews, interview
- 4What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 5Which countries in Europe cause the most air pollution damage? | euronews, world news
- 6McCain blasts Europe’s approach to Ukraine conflict ‘a joke’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 7Moldova pro-EU parties take narrow lead in elections | euronews, world news
- 8NATO joins search for ‘Russian submarine’ off Scottish coast | euronews, world news
- 9Ukraine reports accident at Zaporizhzhya nuclear power plant | euronews, world news
- 10Grenoble: Europe’s first ad-free city | euronews, world news
- 11Crude awakening: Romania’s Black Sea oil and gas finds fuel Europe’s energy hopes | euronews, reporter
- 12European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 13The American Century comes to an end as China becomes the world’s largest economy | euronews, economy
- 14Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania | euronews, world news
- 15Israeli warplanes hit targets in Syria | euronews, world news
- 16Germans demand honour for Turkish woman beaten to death | euronews, world news
- 17Obama’s ‘risky’ immigration gamble | euronews, world news
- 18Chechen ‘death’ unit fighting with rebels in eastern Ukraine | euronews, world news
- 19International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 20Belgium’s former queen Fabiola dies at 86 | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 14:18 CET Pope names new prelate who runs Vatican during papal transitions
- 14:13 CET Saudi forces kill four militants in Awamiya – interior ministry
- 13:16 CET Russia calls new sanctions on Crimea “collective punishment”
- 12:39 CET North Korea says did not hack Sony, wants joint probe with U.S.
- 11:36 CET North Korea proposes joint probe with the U.S. into Sony cyber…
- 11:28 CET Magnitude 5.9 earthquake hits Japan’s Honshu island – USGS
- 11:27 CET China offers $3 billion in aid and loans to neighbours – Xinhua
- 11:24 CET Putin urges Russia’s secret services to tackle “modern challenges”