10/08/13 23:15 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
The Italian coast guard has confirmed that six migrants drowned off the coast of Sicily after attempting a dangerous passage from Africa.
The victims, all aged under 30, were on an 18-metre boat carrying 100 migrants which ran aground early Saturday morning near the city of Catania.
Coastguard captain Roberto D’Arrigo described it as an “absolutely anomalous event” as a migrant boat had never previously put into Catania.
“The timing and the location makes us think that they had probably lost their route,” he said. We are pretty much convinced that this was probably a mistake by those who were at the helm of the boat,” D’Arrigo added.
The migrants were mainly from Syria and Egypt. Most managed to reach the shore but the six who drowned were apparently unable to swim.
According to the United Nations refugee agency, almost 8,000 migrants and asylum seekers landed on the coasts of southern Italy in the first half of the year.
- 1EU referendum live: ‘Leave’ ahead with over half of area results declared
- 2A quiet afternoon at the cinema ends in terror in Germany
- 3What would Brexit mean for EU migrants to the UK and British expats?
- 4US Supreme Court ruling means illegal immigrants with US born children will be deported
- 5Football is pants in Hungary
- 1What would Brexit mean for EU migrants to the UK and British expats?
- 2Greece, Britain and Israel help fight massive forest fire in Cyprus
- 3EU referendum: Leave and Remain camps fight it out on TV
- 4South Africa: riots hit Pretoria after ANC imposes local mayor candidate
- 5Police break up fights between Polish football fans in Marseille
- 1Walking on water: Bulgarian artist Christo realises his dream
- 2What would Brexit mean for EU migrants to the UK and British expats?
- 3Switzerland ends bid to join European Economic Area – after 24 years
- 4What do Europeans think of the UK’s ‘Brexit’ referendum?
- 5Greece, Britain and Israel help fight massive forest fire in Cyprus
Latest world news
US Supreme Court ruling means illegal immigrants with US born children will be deported
A quiet afternoon at the cinema ends in terror in Germany
EU referendum live: ‘Leave’ ahead with over half of area results declared
Tight security as thousands march across France
Colombia’s government and main rebel army sign historic ceasefire deal in Cuba
Wires > News
- 03:25 CET Japan’s ruling coalition headed for hefty win in upper house poll…
- 02:18 CET OAS chief blames Maduro government for Venezuela crisis
- 01:49 CET Boat migrant rescues surge as calm seas return to Mediterranean
- 01:23 CET Trump will not ask donors to repay nearly $50 million in campaign…
- 00:34 CET U.S. Navy mulls punishment for sailors seized by Iran
- 23:27 CET Morocco arrests 10 suspected Islamist militants, including Algerian
- 23:21 CET Three dead, two injured in Cyprus resort ‘gangland’ shootout
- 22:49 CET Gunman takes hostages in German cinema, is shot dead by police