President Obama has confirmed the US will not be boycotting the 2014 winter Olympics in Sochi in Russia.
There have been calls for the games to be moved elsewhere in protest at anti-gay laws recently passed by President Putin.
However Obama says Washington must reassess its relationship with Moscow following anti-America rhetoric.
“It is probably appropriate for us to take a pause, reassess where it is that Russia is going, what our core interests are, calibrate the relationship. We are doing things that are good for the United States and hopefully good for Russia as well, but recognizing that there are just gonna be some differences and we are not gonna be able to completely disguise them,” Obama told a press conference.
His comments came as meetings between US secretary of state John Kerry, defence secretary Chuck Hagel and their Russian counterparts, Sergei Lavrov and Sergei Shoigu took place at the White House.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 8Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 9Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 10Latest News Bulletin
- 11International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 12BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
- 20European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
Latest world news
Turkey: two soldiers killed in suicide attack blamed on PKK
Surfing dogs battle it out in California contest
Photojournalist among five found dead at Mexico City apartment
Failed breach attempt by migrants in Calais
Israelis against recent violence in region as clashes rage in West Bank
Wires > News
- 12:13 CET Gunmen kill ally of Burundi’s President Nkurunziza
- 11:46 CET Malaysia says Indian Ocean aeroplane debris is part of a Boeing 777
- 10:41 CET Grassroots mayors embody Spain’s divisions as election nears
- 10:11 CET Analysis – Germans fret over Europe’s future but still believe
- 09:56 CET Chinese military paper warns a corrupt army does not win wars
- 06:07 CET Five found shot to death in Mexico City apartment
- 23:06 CET Finland must watch far-right closely after violent rally – minister
- 20:11 CET Kurdish militia in Syria accuses Turkey of ‘provocative’ attacks