A notorious Mexican drug lord convicted of the torture and murder of a United States anti drugs agent in 1985 has been released from prison in a move that has angered the U.S. government. Rafael Caro Quintero has served 28 years of a 40-year sentence for the brutal death of Drug Enforcement Administration agent Enrique Camarena.
A court in Mexico released the former member of the Guadalajara cartel after it ruled that he should have been tried at state level rather than on federal level.
The U.S. Justice Department has said it is “extremely disappointed” by the decision to free Quintero and has made it clear it has a “continued interest” in securing his extradition to the United States.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 3[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 4[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 5Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 6Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 8Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 9Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 10Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 11NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 12Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 13‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 14Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
- 15Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 16Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 17Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 18Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 19Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 20Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
Wires > News
- 01:14 CET Ex-dictator found mentally unfit for new Guatemala genocide trial
- 00:43 CET Serbia government agrees to send PM to July 11 Srebrenica…
- 21:26 CET Two suicide bombers kill around 30 in northern Nigeria
- 21:02 CET Obama, Vietnam leader discuss South China Sea in landmark meeting
- 20:47 CET Eritrea sees U.N. scrutiny, migrant exodus as part of ‘conspiracy’
- 19:54 CET Gunmen storm national radio in Central African Republic
- 19:47 CET Homegrown jihadists with Libya ties target Tunisia’s democracy
- 19:22 CET Sierra Leone urged to ban FGM after backing women’s rights treaty