A town in Switzerland is being likened to apartheid-era South Africa, after the local mayor drew up plans to ban asylum-seekers from some public places.
A new centre to house migrants has been opened in Bremgarten, 20 kilometres west of Zurich.
The proposals would see the newcomers kept away from a sports centre, the swimming pool and areas around schools, in order to preserve the peace in the town of 6,500 residents, according to the mayor, Raymond Tellenbach.
“We wanted these restrictions in order to prevent tension with residents, especially with students. It’s for their security. We want to be sure that they are not molested,” said Tellenbach.
The idea of keeping the 150 asylum-seekers living at the centre away from certain areas has drawn criticism from politicians from a wide range of parties.
“This reminds me of apartheid. This leads to two classes of citizens – those who can go everywhere and those who cannot, only because of their residence status,” said Socialist MP Silvia Schenker
Switzerland is dealing with another public relations disaster after Oprah Winfrey accused a shop assistant in Zurich of being racist.
The American media icon, who is one of the world’s richest women, claims the shop assistant refused to show her a handbag which cost more than 26,000 euros.
The shop-owner says the incident was a misunderstanding.
- 1Germanwings: Terrifying transcripts of doomed plane’s ‘last minutes’
- 2Data recorder is key to ending Flight 9525 speculation
- 3Six world powers to make a final push for a deal over Iran’s nuclear programme
- 4Unconfirmed reports and speculation mount over Germanwings crash
- 5Votes counted as polls close in Nigerian election
- 1Germanwings crash: search suspended
- 2Prosecutors believe co-pilot deliberately flew Germanwings jet into mountain
- 3‘One day the world will know my name’, Germanwings co-pilot Lubitz ‘declared’
- 4Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say?
- 5Andreas Lubitz: Torn-up sick note for day of crash is found at home of Germanwings co-pilot
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russian rumour mill suggests Putin suffering poor health | euronews, world news
- 3Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 6Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 9Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 10Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 11eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 12Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 13Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 14Handwriting and the digital age, time for change in schools? | euronews, learning world
- 15London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 16International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 17French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 18Manufacturing jihad – Nicolas Hénin explains what he learned about ISIL | euronews, the global conversation
- 19Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 20Which EU country has the biggest gender pay gap? | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 15:42 CET Kenya announces plans to reopen Nairobi mall after attack
- 15:08 CET Germany to invest in French military satellite programme – document
- 15:06 CET U.N. Secretary General troubled by Iraq abuse claims, warns of…
- 15:01 CET Malaysian airliner crash investigators appeal for missile witnesses
- 14:57 CET Hong Kong activists use newspaper petition to warn of academic…
- 14:44 CET Turkish Airlines flight lands in Casablanca after bomb threat
- 14:35 CET Germany says Greece must flesh out reforms to unlock aid
- 13:42 CET War crimes court revokes Serb nationalist Seselj’s compassionate…