U.S. actress Karen Black, who played leading roles in 1970s films “Five Easy Pieces” and “Nashville,” died in Los Angeles on Thursday, her representatives said. She was 74.
Black died at West Hills Health & Rehab Center and had been suffering from cancer in recent years, her publicist Elliot Mintz said.
Black was best known for her role as Rayette, the big-dreaming waitress in the 1970 working class drama “Five Easy Pieces,” in which she starred alongside Jack Nicholson.
The role earned Black a Golden Globe award for best supporting actress and an Oscar nomination.
She also played a prominent role as a country singer in the ensemble cast of Robert Altman’s 1975 musical drama “Nashville.”
Black was diagnosed with ampullary cancer, which is similar to pancreatic cancer, in 2010, and made headlines earlier this year after turning to the Internet to help fund her medical treatment. She and her husband raised about $62,000, according to her fundraising page.
Illinois-born Black won another best supporting actress Golden Globe award for the role of mistress Myrtle Wilson in 1974’s “The Great Gatsby” and was also lauded for her role as an aspiring actress in the 1975 drama “The Day of the Locust.”
She also played a small part as a prostitute in the 1969 counter-culture road movie “Easy Rider,” which starred Peter Fonda, Dennis Hopper and Nicholson.
- 1Migrant killed near Tunnel amid mass attempt to cross channel
- 2Man killed as 1,500 migrants try to enter Channel Tunnel in Calais
- 3Afghan Taliban leader Mullah Omar is confirmed dead
- 4Rome airport fully operational after forest fire affects flights
- 5Turkey keeps up pressure on PKK with more airstrikes
- 1Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 2French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 3Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 4Bobbi Kristina Brown, Whitney Houston’s daughter, dies
- 5Coach has its roof sheared off in low tunnel near Lille
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 8Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 9Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 10French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 11Latest News Bulletin
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 16At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 17Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 18‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 19Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 20Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
India to pass China to be world’s most populous country – study
Hungary’s new asylum law ‘will put thousands of refugees at risk’
IOC blasts Boston for breaking Olympic bid promises
Greek PM suggests party referendum to overcome split in Syriza
Hungary’s national bank pays millions for butcher’s secret art
Wires > News
- 03:35 CET Taiwan students storm education ministry compound in textbook…
- 03:25 CET Obama urges supporters to lobby for Iran deal
- 02:59 CET Plane debris found on Indian Ocean island points to MH370…
- 02:15 CET Mexico approves U.S. extradition warrant for fugitive kingpin…
- 00:24 CET Brazil’s Rousseff announces more education spending cuts
- 00:11 CET Checked bag fees are here to stay – United Airlines CEO
- 00:11 CET Greece’s Tsipras asserts control over party with congress vote
- 23:37 CET Canada’s election campaign seen starting Sunday