U.S. actress Karen Black, who played leading roles in 1970s films “Five Easy Pieces” and “Nashville,” died in Los Angeles on Thursday, her representatives said. She was 74.
Black died at West Hills Health & Rehab Center and had been suffering from cancer in recent years, her publicist Elliot Mintz said.
Black was best known for her role as Rayette, the big-dreaming waitress in the 1970 working class drama “Five Easy Pieces,” in which she starred alongside Jack Nicholson.
The role earned Black a Golden Globe award for best supporting actress and an Oscar nomination.
She also played a prominent role as a country singer in the ensemble cast of Robert Altman’s 1975 musical drama “Nashville.”
Black was diagnosed with ampullary cancer, which is similar to pancreatic cancer, in 2010, and made headlines earlier this year after turning to the Internet to help fund her medical treatment. She and her husband raised about $62,000, according to her fundraising page.
Illinois-born Black won another best supporting actress Golden Globe award for the role of mistress Myrtle Wilson in 1974’s “The Great Gatsby” and was also lauded for her role as an aspiring actress in the 1975 drama “The Day of the Locust.”
She also played a small part as a prostitute in the 1969 counter-culture road movie “Easy Rider,” which starred Peter Fonda, Dennis Hopper and Nicholson.
- 1The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 2Emergency response: inside Ecuador’s disaster zones
- 3A handshake, a kiss and a hug at historic meeting of Catholic and Muslim leaders
- 4Narrow defeat for Austria far-right as Van der Bellen elected president
- 5Missing EgyptAir flight made no “swerves” before crashing – Cairo
- 1EgyptAir crash: airline says Flight MS804 wreckage found
- 2Venezuela economy fractured with shortages of essentials across the country
- 3The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 4Crimean Tatars look for Eurovision boost on day of national tragedy
- 5Kazakh police break up anti-government protests
Wires > News
- 09:44 CET Cambodia revives Australia refugee deal with planned Nauru visit
- 09:20 CET Greece starts clearing makeshift migrant camp on border
- 09:17 CET Russia, Ukraine commit to Minsk accords in call with France…
- 08:44 CET French police break up refinery blockade amid anti-reform showdown
- 07:09 CET Facebook changes policies on ‘Trending Topics’ after criticism
- 07:04 CET Firefighters protect Canada’s oil sands battling 1,100 C flames
- 06:17 CET South Korea says more North Korean restaurant workers defect from…
- 03:26 CET Brazil’s new top diplomat shifts focus from ideology to trade