Muslims around the world have been celebrating Eid al-Fitr, marking the end of Ramadan. The holy month of fasting is now followed by a festival lasting several days.
Palestinians in the West Bank, Gaza and Jerusalem gathered for morning prayers.
In Ramallah, Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas placed a wreath on the grave of his predecessor Yasser Arafat. He said that this year’s festival was especially happy because of Israel’s decision to free 104 Palestinian prisoners.
In France, which has some five million Muslims, the Great Mosque of Paris intervened to settle a disagreement over the start date for Ramadan. There was no such debate over the end as thousands turned out for Eid.
Thousands of kilometres to the east, in the Russian region of Tatarstan they are also celebrating. It is traditional for Muslims to demonstrate unity, often forgiving old wrongs and giving money to the poor.
It is also forbidden to fast, and so food is prepared specially for the occasion, with friends and relatives invited to share the feast.
In Egypt the traditional treats are cookies made with nuts and sugar. This year the country’s political crisis has overshadowed the festival and shops have reported poor trade.
In Bangladesh millions of people left the capital Dhaka to return to their home towns to celebrate with families and friends.
Trains and ferries were jam-packed, but most still found a way to board railway carriages or boats somehow.
Ramadan through the eyes of childrenREUTERS/Vincent Kessler
Ramadan in the north-eastern state of Kelantan, MalaysiaREUTERS/Bazuki Muhammad
Ramadan prayer in JerusalemREUTERS/Ammar Awad
Ramadan preparations in KabulREUTERS/Omar Sobhani
- 1Explainer: why the blue moon will not be blue
- 2Plane debris to be sent to France to investigate possible links to MH370
- 3Ukraine’s Constitutional Court approves self-rule plan for troubled east
- 4Mistral: Deal or no deal between France and Russia?
- 5‘Despot’ Vladimir Putin ‘ordered’ Litvinenko murder, inquiry hears
- 1Greek PM suggests party referendum to overcome split in Syriza
- 2Russia vetoes UN resolution to try suspects in MH17 crash in Ukraine
- 3What’s gone wrong with Rome?
- 4MH370: wreckage found on island ‘almost certainly’ from Boeing 777
- 5Missing MH370 flight : Plane wreckage washed up on Reunion Island is tested
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 8Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 9Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 10French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 11Latest News Bulletin
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 16At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 17Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 18‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 19Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 20Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
Latest world news
UK: Four dead as private jet crashes into car auction site
Ukraine’s Constitutional Court approves self-rule plan for troubled east
Hillary Clinton urges Congress to end US trade embargo on Cuba
Mistral: Deal or no deal between France and Russia?
‘Despot’ Vladimir Putin ‘ordered’ Litvinenko murder, inquiry hears
Wires > News
- 04:47 CET Mexican judge suspends U.S. extradition order for fugitive ‘Chapo‘…
- 04:09 CET Exclusive – Donald Trump’s companies have sought visas to import…
- 02:55 CET Recovered plane debris flown to France for checks
- 01:40 CET Iraq’s Kurdistan laments caught in middle of Turkey-PKK fight
- 01:18 CET Eleven Colombian military personnel killed in plane crash
- 22:22 CET Mexican president’s approval ratings hit after drug kingpin’s…
- 22:20 CET Venezuela supermarket looting leaves one dead, dozens detained
- 21:58 CET Vaccine success holds hope for end to deadly scourge of Ebola