Muslims around the world have been celebrating Eid al-Fitr, marking the end of Ramadan. The holy month of fasting is now followed by a festival lasting several days.
Palestinians in the West Bank, Gaza and Jerusalem gathered for morning prayers.
In Ramallah, Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas placed a wreath on the grave of his predecessor Yasser Arafat. He said that this year’s festival was especially happy because of Israel’s decision to free 104 Palestinian prisoners.
In France, which has some five million Muslims, the Great Mosque of Paris intervened to settle a disagreement over the start date for Ramadan. There was no such debate over the end as thousands turned out for Eid.
Thousands of kilometres to the east, in the Russian region of Tatarstan they are also celebrating. It is traditional for Muslims to demonstrate unity, often forgiving old wrongs and giving money to the poor.
It is also forbidden to fast, and so food is prepared specially for the occasion, with friends and relatives invited to share the feast.
In Egypt the traditional treats are cookies made with nuts and sugar. This year the country’s political crisis has overshadowed the festival and shops have reported poor trade.
In Bangladesh millions of people left the capital Dhaka to return to their home towns to celebrate with families and friends.
Trains and ferries were jam-packed, but most still found a way to board railway carriages or boats somehow.
Ramadan through the eyes of childrenREUTERS/Vincent Kessler
Ramadan in the north-eastern state of Kelantan, MalaysiaREUTERS/Bazuki Muhammad
Ramadan prayer in JerusalemREUTERS/Ammar Awad
Ramadan preparations in KabulREUTERS/Omar Sobhani
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist
- 2One of five suspects charged after Melbourne anti-terror raids
- 3Exclusive: choose between co-operation and confrontation, Iran’s Foreign Minister warns
- 4Foreigners flee xenophobic attacks in South Africa
- 5International lenders raise pressure on Greece as cash crunch looms
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 3Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 6French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 7Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 8Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 9Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 10International news | euronews, latest international news
- 11eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 12International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 13Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 14ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 15Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 16Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 17French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 18Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20[Live updates] France plane crash: damaged black box ‘can provide information’ | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 14:33 CET Islamic State shot and beheaded 30 people in Libya – video
- 14:32 CET Up to 700 feared dead after migrant boat sinks off Libya
- 14:23 CET Thousands of Yemeni troops along Saudi border side with President…
- 13:49 CET India’s enigmatic Gandhi fires up opposition at farmers rally
- 13:32 CET Egypt court seeks death sentence for 11 in football stadium case -…
- 13:05 CET Life or death? Boston bomber’s trial turns to sentencing
- 12:48 CET Somalia’s al Shabaab fighters attack African Union troops -…
- 12:45 CET Northern Cypriots vote for new leader who can succeed in peace…