A snake which escaped from a pet shop in the Canadian province of New Brunswick appears to have killed two boys aged five and seven.
The children had been staying at a friend’s apartment above the shop in the city of Campbellton.
The reptile is thought to have slipped out of its cage overnight and climbed up through a ventilation shaft.
Constable Jullie Rogers-Marsh of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police said: “It’s believed the two boys were strangled by the snake.” She added that she was unaware if the boys were asleep when the attack occurred.
The snake was later captured by the pet shop owner and is in the custody of police. They would not identify its species.
Experts say attacks by exotic snakes are extremely rare.
“It’s really not in their nature,” said Terry Phillip, curator of reptiles at Reptile Gardens, a wild animal park in South Dakota.
“Snakes, even large pythons, are far less dangerous than family pets like dogs,” he said.
The shop, which is called Reptile Ocean, did not respond to a request for comment. On its official Facebook page the retailer calls itself “an exotic pet store open to the public for purchase and viewing”.
Autopsies on the boys were due to be carried out on Tuesday.
- 1Putin and Hollande agree on greater cooperation over Syrian air strikes
- 2Russia hits Turkey with economic sanctions, warns more could follow
- 3How to talk to kids about tragedies such as the Paris attacks
- 4Turkey and Russia trade barbs as tensions mount over downed jet
- 5Muslims in Russian Federation, under police pressure (some) enlist with ISIL
- 1Warning or no warning – tension grows between Russia and Turkey over downed jet
- 2Russian co-pilot says his plane downed “without warning” by Turks
- 3Hollande adds Italy to his coalition before heading to Moscow
- 4Media war Turkish and Russian press react to downed fighter
- 5Germany will ‘do more’ to fight ISIL, says Merkel
- 1At least 22 people killed as Mali hotel siege ends
- 2Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 3Russia confirms Turks have shot down one of its planes on Syrian border
- 4Five questions on Russia’s air strikes in Syria
- 5Hasna Aitboulahcen did not detonate a suicide vest during the St. Denis shoot out
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3International news | euronews, latest international news
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 51000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 6latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 7Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 8world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 9New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 10European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 11Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 14Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 15‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 16Egypt armed forces chief Abdul Fattah al-Sisi – a man of destiny
- 17No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
- 18‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 19Latest sport news
- 20Iraq: deadly car bombs kill more than 60 in Baghdad
Latest world news
USA: estimates suggest early Black Friday sales not up to the mark
Italian police seize hundreds of rifles bound for Belgium
US: man arrested after jumping White House fence
Probe opens into murder of Venezuelan opposition leader
Turkey: two journalists jailed over Syria smuggling reports
Wires > News
- 10:30 CET Beijing to toughen car emission standards by 2017 to cut pollution
- 10:29 CET Turkey has ‘big interest’ in revitalising EU ties – Germany
- 10:20 CET Germany arrests man who may have sold guns to Paris attackers
- 10:19 CET Islamic State claims responsibility for attack on Bangladesh…
- 10:07 CET Thai junta faces backlog of industry problems as global scrutiny…
- 09:53 CET Chinese rights activist jailed for six years
- 09:17 CET Putin seeks map of forces not to bomb in Syria – France
- 08:49 CET Ten EU nations say Nord Stream gas extension not in EU interests