Twenty one US embassies and consulates were shut in the Middle East and North Africa on Sunday after a warning about a possible Al Qaeda terror attack.
The UK has closed its embassy in Yemen for two days and the UK Foreign Office is urging Britons to leave Yemen. The French and German embassies were also shut.
There is tight security around the US and British embassies in Yemen’s capital Sana’a and cars are being stopped and searched at nearby checkpoints.
One Yemeni soldier, Ala’a Moshtag, promised Yemeni security forces were on high alert. “These threats will not be carried out as long as we are the security men and we are here, also Yemeni people are here. Yemen will be safe and nothing bad will happen to it,” he said.
The US has issued a worldwide travel warning to Americans until the end of August. It is urging travellers to be on the alert for possible terrorist attacks on public transport and at tourist destinations.
The warning came after US intelligence officials reportedly intercepted emails between senior Al Qaeda members. It is claimed the emails discussed attacks against American interests in the region.
Meanwhile, Interpol has issued a separate global security alert, regarding jail breaks linked to al-Qaeda in nine countries.
Some analysts have suggested that emphasising the work of the National Security Agency in intercepting terrorist emails is a good way to deflect from the controversy over revelations about the US’s mass surveillance programme of citizens around the world.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1NATO accuses Russian bombers of flying close to its airspace
- 2Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms
- 3France ‘to deliver’ Mistral warship, says Russia
- 4France says ‘conditions not met’ for Mistral warship delivery to Russia
- 5Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 3International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 4Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 5European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 6All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 7How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 8Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 9Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 10What to expect in “The World of Ice and Fire,” George R.R. Martin’s new book | euronews, world news
- 11Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 12Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 13US says ISIL makes $1 million-a-day selling oil – even to enemies | euronews, world news
- 14International news | euronews, latest international news
- 15International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 16Philippe Starck: ‘Words like longevity and legacy have become almost avant-garde’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 17US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
- 18euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 19Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 20Maritime drama deepens as Sweden extends ‘mystery submarine’ search | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 15:09 CET EU extends Belarus sanctions by a year on human rights concerns
- 14:39 CET Zimbabwe’s state media attacks deputy president Mujuru
- 14:35 CET Sweden recognises Palestinian state, hopes will revive peace…
- 14:15 CET Ukraine says EU to be guarantor in any Russia gas deal
- 14:12 CET Iran says foils bid to sabotage nuclear heavy-water tanks -…
- 14:05 CET Merkel not acutely worried about Russian violations of airspace
- 13:48 CET Pakistan province rewrites text books to satisfy Islamic…
- 13:47 CET Clashes erupt as Israeli police kill Palestinian suspected of…