The summer concert is a cultural highlight on the island of Malta where every year international music stars are invited to perform in the city of Floriana with the Maltese National Orchestra, conducted by Maestro Steven Mercurio. Current host and founder of the event is Maltese tenor Joseph Calleja.This year’s guests included Italian pop/rock star Zucchero, who performed his 1992 hit “Miserere” alongside Calleja.
Rebecca Ferguson performed on the city’s famous Granaries square in front of St. Publius Church. Rebecca Ferguson is a British singer-songwriter who came to prominence in 2010 when she became the runner-up on the seventh series of reality song contest “The X Factor”.Another highlight of the evening was an appearance from Malta’s Eurovision Song Contest finalist Gianluca-Xemx who also performed with Calleja. Calleja sang the classical “O sole mio” – the Neapolitan song that shot to international fame in the world of opera when it was covered by Enrico Caruso.
Calleja began singing at the age of 16 and went on to win numerous international opera competitions. Now in his mid thirties, Calleja is considered one of the most promising young tenors of the 21st century. At his Summer Concert in Malta he aims to bring classical music to a larger audience.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 3[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 4Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 5[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 6Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 7Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 8[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 9Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 10Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 11‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 12NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 13Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 14Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 15Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 16Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 17Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
- 18Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
- 19Hungary: billboard war sparks international concern
- 20[Latest] AKP loses its majority as Kurdish party enter Turkish Parliament