The summer concert is a cultural highlight on the island of Malta where every year international music stars are invited to perform in the city of Floriana with the Maltese National Orchestra, conducted by Maestro Steven Mercurio. Current host and founder of the event is Maltese tenor Joseph Calleja.This year’s guests included Italian pop/rock star Zucchero, who performed his 1992 hit “Miserere” alongside Calleja.
Rebecca Ferguson performed on the city’s famous Granaries square in front of St. Publius Church. Rebecca Ferguson is a British singer-songwriter who came to prominence in 2010 when she became the runner-up on the seventh series of reality song contest “The X Factor”.Another highlight of the evening was an appearance from Malta’s Eurovision Song Contest finalist Gianluca-Xemx who also performed with Calleja. Calleja sang the classical “O sole mio” – the Neapolitan song that shot to international fame in the world of opera when it was covered by Enrico Caruso.
Calleja began singing at the age of 16 and went on to win numerous international opera competitions. Now in his mid thirties, Calleja is considered one of the most promising young tenors of the 21st century. At his Summer Concert in Malta he aims to bring classical music to a larger audience.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 3Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 4Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 5Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 6European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 7Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 8All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 9How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 10What to expect in “The World of Ice and Fire,” George R.R. Martin’s new book | euronews, world news
- 11Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 12Philippe Starck: ‘Words like longevity and legacy have become almost avant-garde’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 13Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 14Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 15International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 16US says ISIL makes $1 million-a-day selling oil – even to enemies | euronews, world news
- 17Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 18International news | euronews, latest international news
- 19Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 20US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news