The summer concert is a cultural highlight on the island of Malta where every year international music stars are invited to perform in the city of Floriana with the Maltese National Orchestra, conducted by Maestro Steven Mercurio. Current host and founder of the event is Maltese tenor Joseph Calleja.This year’s guests included Italian pop/rock star Zucchero, who performed his 1992 hit “Miserere” alongside Calleja.
Rebecca Ferguson performed on the city’s famous Granaries square in front of St. Publius Church. Rebecca Ferguson is a British singer-songwriter who came to prominence in 2010 when she became the runner-up on the seventh series of reality song contest “The X Factor”.Another highlight of the evening was an appearance from Malta’s Eurovision Song Contest finalist Gianluca-Xemx who also performed with Calleja. Calleja sang the classical “O sole mio” – the Neapolitan song that shot to international fame in the world of opera when it was covered by Enrico Caruso.
Calleja began singing at the age of 16 and went on to win numerous international opera competitions. Now in his mid thirties, Calleja is considered one of the most promising young tenors of the 21st century. At his Summer Concert in Malta he aims to bring classical music to a larger audience.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1The power of the pen: Cartoonists worldwide react to the Charlie Hebdo attack | euronews, world news
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Immigration, racism in sport and the rise of extremism – Cantona shares his views | euronews, interview
- 4[LIVE] 12 dead after gun attack at French satirical weekly Charlie Hebdo | euronews, world news
- 5[LIVE NOW] Massive unity rally in Paris, with similar marches in other French cities | euronews, world news
- 6Muslim groups fear backlash after terrorist attacks in Paris | euronews, news
- 7[LIVE] Confusion over reports two killed in Paris shootout, as police close in on Charlie Hebdo suspects | euronews, world news
- 8Medieval Bruges is to get its own underground beer pipeline | euronews, world news
- 9Almost four million turn out for unity rallies across France | euronews, world news
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11“ISIL is the baby of George W Bush” | euronews, news
- 12NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 13A defiant Charlie Hebdo: it’s not the front page the terrorists would’ve wanted | euronews, world news
- 14Key questions around the Charlie Hebdo killings go unanswered | euronews, world news
- 15France: Angouleme council takes down anti-homeless cages around benches after outcry | euronews, world news
- 16HarperCollins wipes Israel off the map | euronews, world news
- 17euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 18eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 19Grim task of retrieving bodies after wreckage of missing AirAsia plane found | euronews, world news
- 20Charlie Hebdo: Israeli paper deletes women from Paris march | euronews, world news