The summer concert is a cultural highlight on the island of Malta where every year international music stars are invited to perform in the city of Floriana with the Maltese National Orchestra, conducted by Maestro Steven Mercurio. Current host and founder of the event is Maltese tenor Joseph Calleja.This year’s guests included Italian pop/rock star Zucchero, who performed his 1992 hit “Miserere” alongside Calleja.
Rebecca Ferguson performed on the city’s famous Granaries square in front of St. Publius Church. Rebecca Ferguson is a British singer-songwriter who came to prominence in 2010 when she became the runner-up on the seventh series of reality song contest “The X Factor”.Another highlight of the evening was an appearance from Malta’s Eurovision Song Contest finalist Gianluca-Xemx who also performed with Calleja. Calleja sang the classical “O sole mio” – the Neapolitan song that shot to international fame in the world of opera when it was covered by Enrico Caruso.
Calleja began singing at the age of 16 and went on to win numerous international opera competitions. Now in his mid thirties, Calleja is considered one of the most promising young tenors of the 21st century. At his Summer Concert in Malta he aims to bring classical music to a larger audience.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 8Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 9Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 10French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 11Latest News Bulletin
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 16At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 17Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 18‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 19Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 20Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum