The summer concert is a cultural highlight on the island of Malta where every year international music stars are invited to perform in the city of Floriana with the Maltese National Orchestra, conducted by Maestro Steven Mercurio. Current host and founder of the event is Maltese tenor Joseph Calleja.This year’s guests included Italian pop/rock star Zucchero, who performed his 1992 hit “Miserere” alongside Calleja.
Rebecca Ferguson performed on the city’s famous Granaries square in front of St. Publius Church. Rebecca Ferguson is a British singer-songwriter who came to prominence in 2010 when she became the runner-up on the seventh series of reality song contest “The X Factor”.Another highlight of the evening was an appearance from Malta’s Eurovision Song Contest finalist Gianluca-Xemx who also performed with Calleja. Calleja sang the classical “O sole mio” – the Neapolitan song that shot to international fame in the world of opera when it was covered by Enrico Caruso.
Calleja began singing at the age of 16 and went on to win numerous international opera competitions. Now in his mid thirties, Calleja is considered one of the most promising young tenors of the 21st century. At his Summer Concert in Malta he aims to bring classical music to a larger audience.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Italy swamped by flash floods | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 6India PM Modi appoints Yoga minister | euronews, world news
- 7What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 8Vladimir Putin most powerful man in the world – Forbes | euronews, world news
- 9[Live] Rosetta’s Philae lands on comet 67P and enters the history books | euronews, world news
- 10European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 11International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 12Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 13Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 14Putin plans to leave G20 talks early amid Ukraine pressure | euronews, world news
- 15Nadia Comaneci: gymnast of perfection and defector | euronews, the global conversation
- 16US says ISIL makes $1 million-a-day selling oil – even to enemies | euronews, world news
- 17Edgars Rinkevics: “I am gay. Good luck all of you.” | euronews, world news
- 18International news | euronews, latest international news
- 19Philippe Starck: ‘Words like longevity and legacy have become almost avant-garde’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 20Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released | euronews, world news