Syrian President Bashar al Assad says he confident of victory against rebels, as the revolt against his rule rages on.
He was speaking during a symbolic visit to the battered town of Deraya, now mostly retaken by his army.
But Assad’s forces have suffered a blow in the central city of Homs – according to opposition activists.
At least 40 people were apparently killed in a huge explosion that hit a weapons cache, and in mortar attacks on mainly Alawite districts – the same minority sect as Assad.
Meanwhile, the UN is preparing to send an investigation team to three sites where chemical attacks have allegedly taken place.
Assad describes the revolt against four decades of his family’s rule as foreign-backed conspiracy, fought by Islamist “terrorists.”
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Further gunfire, but also war of words over crisis in Ukraine
- 2Recording of Philae probe landing on Comet 67P released
- 3Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania
- 4Spain: Singer Isabel Pantoja jailed for two years
- 5Kenya government vows to hunt down al-Shabaab bus attack killers
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Italy swamped by flash floods | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 6Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 7India PM Modi appoints Yoga minister | euronews, world news
- 8Vladimir Putin most powerful man in the world – Forbes | euronews, world news
- 9[Live] Rosetta’s Philae lands on comet 67P and enters the history books | euronews, world news
- 10European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 11International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 12Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 13Obama’s ‘risky’ immigration gamble | euronews, world news
- 14Nadia Comaneci: gymnast of perfection and defector | euronews, the global conversation
- 15Putin plans to leave G20 talks early amid Ukraine pressure | euronews, world news
- 16Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released | euronews, world news
- 17US says ISIL makes $1 million-a-day selling oil – even to enemies | euronews, world news
- 18Syria: Islamic extremists pledge to press ahead with battle for Kobani | euronews, world news
- 19Edgars Rinkevics: “I am gay. Good luck all of you.” | euronews, world news
- 20International news | euronews, latest international news
Wires > News
- 10:35 CET Putin says Russia is not isolated: TASS
- 09:28 CET Iran says nuclear deal ‘impossible’ by November 24 deadline – ISNA
- 09:00 CET Bangladesh arrests woman leader of militant outfit
- 09:00 CET Voting gets underway in Tunisian presidential election
- 07:33 CET China arrests man for spying on aircraft carrier base – CCTV
- 03:16 CET German couple found murdered in Caribbean island of Tobago
- 00:46 CET Poland’s ruling party wins most seats in regional elections
- 23:47 CET Obama approves fresh guidelines for U.S. military in Afghanistan