Concrete barriers and sandbags ring Rabeea Al Adawya square, which the pro Mursi supporters hope will at least impede the progress of the security forces.
Euronews was granted exclusive access to a Muslim Brotherhood camp in Cairo.
There are two such camps in Cairo. Rabeea Al adawya is in the east. There is another camp, Al Nahda, is in the west of the city.
Security at the entrance was strict, the Muslim Brotherhood asking for identification as well as giving euronews’ team a thorough pat down.
Inside life appeared well organised. It has a prayer area, as well as tents serving as places to shelter from the sun.
Across the square, on the opposite side of the camp are more fortifications, sandbags and heaps of tyres, ready to be set alight should the army attack.
Protective headgear is also easy to hand.
A Muslim Brotherhood guard explained what the basic plan is:
“Sand bags, to protect us from the bullets and shotgun pellets, also from stones. If they attack us using mercenaries, our field security will hide behind .the barrier and start the resistance. Also, we have sticks to defend ourselves.”
One road has been cleared to allow ambulances easy access.
The government has urged the Mursi supporters to abandon their camps promising them a safe exit. But no deadline was set.
Our correspondent Mohammed Shaikhibrahim says the protesters are adamant they’ll stay. “Determined to survive and confront is the message from the protesters here in Rabeaa Al adawya square. While the Interior MInistry prepares to break up the sit-in by legal means, there are signs a bloody confrontation is coming. A prospect Egyptians fear”.
Wires > News
- 20:07 CET Drowned baby picture captures week of tragedy in Mediterranean
- 20:06 CET White House placed on partial security lockdown – official
- 19:32 CET Libyan oil guard says captures coastal town from Islamic State…
- 19:31 CET Japan puts military on alert for possible North Korea missile…
- 19:25 CET Chad’s ex-leader Habre, Cold War-era ally of West, gets life in…
- 18:56 CET Syrian opposition to decide new negotiating team next week after…
- 18:53 CET Brother of Paris attacker on trial over militant training
- 16:48 CET Turkey’s Erdogan – No Muslim family should engage in birth control