BREAKING NEWS

Now Reading:

Lizard-infected food leads to dozens being hospitalised in India


India

Lizard-infected food leads to dozens being hospitalised in India

Seventy-six pupils are being treated in a hospital in northwestern India for food poisoning. They ate a mid-day meal at their primary school in which a dead lizard was found. It is believed to be the cause of their illness.

All the children, who complained of nausea after their meal are reported to be in a stable condition.

It’s the second such case of food poisoning in the space of a month. Twenty-three pupils died after eating a school lunch infected by pesticide. Officials have acted swiftly in this latest case. The headmaster, the person who was in charge of the meal and three cooks have been dismissed.

Free school meals which are provided for around 120 million pupils in India is part of a programme supported by non governmental organisations and the United Nations aimed at fighting malnutrition and encouraging parents to send their children to school. The 23 deaths in early July has led to criticism over hygiene and mismanagement.

Every story can be told in many ways: see the perspectives from Euronews journalists in our other language teams.

Next Article

world news

Zimbabweans go to the polls amid fraud allegations