Former Barcelona and Spain international goalkeeper Antoni Ramallets has died at the age of 89 after a long illness.
Ramallets spent most of his playing career at Barca and played 473 games for the Catalan giants between 1946 and 1961.
With the club he won six La Liga titles, five Spanish Cups and two Inter-Cities Fairs Cups.
He was also a five-time winner of the Zamora trophy, which is awarded to the goalkeeper with the lowest goals-to-games ratio during the La Liga season.
Ramallets earned 35 caps playing for Spain and was part of the national squad that participated in the 1950 World Cup in Brazil where they reached the semi-finals.
His performance in Brazil earned him the nickname ‘The Cat of Maracana’.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 10French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12Latest News Bulletin
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Dudamel’s gift of Beethoven to brotherly Bogota
- 20European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
Wires > Sport
- 11:54 CET Top-10 finish the aim for Brazil with one year to go
- 11:48 CET U.S. break short-lived Russian world record in mixed relay
- 11:46 CET Lochte dominates medley heats after freestyle flop
- 11:13 CET Coe says IAAF angry and betrayed over doping claims
- 10:51 CET Retaining title will be tougher for Chelsea, feels Mourinho
- 10:40 CET Scudamore sees record attendance as clubs rein in ticket prices
- 09:54 CET Vietnam sponsor suffers big losses on Man City fixture
- 09:51 CET ‘Football is not ballet,’ says Mihajlovic after De Jong tackle