Former Barcelona and Spain international goalkeeper Antoni Ramallets has died at the age of 89 after a long illness.
Ramallets spent most of his playing career at Barca and played 473 games for the Catalan giants between 1946 and 1961.
With the club he won six La Liga titles, five Spanish Cups and two Inter-Cities Fairs Cups.
He was also a five-time winner of the Zamora trophy, which is awarded to the goalkeeper with the lowest goals-to-games ratio during the La Liga season.
Ramallets earned 35 caps playing for Spain and was part of the national squad that participated in the 1950 World Cup in Brazil where they reached the semi-finals.
His performance in Brazil earned him the nickname ‘The Cat of Maracana’.
- 1Sochi 2015: Russia’s expensive Olympic village falling into ruin
- 2Djokovic takes the glory but both he and Nadal take the money in Thailand exhibition
- 3Greek freejumper delights crowds in Santorini in the Redbull Art of Motion 2015 finals
- 4England dumped out of their own World Cup
- 5[Live] All the Rugby World Cup news in one place
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Syrian refugee tripped by shamed camera woman is named
- 3Hungarian camera woman caught on video kicking and tripping migrants could face jail
- 4Hungarian reporter who tripped migrants apologises for her actions
- 5NASA discovers evidence of “liquid briny water” flowing on Mars
- 6Latest News Bulletin
- 7At least 220 dead in stampede outside Mecca, Saudi Arabia reports
- 8Denmark: launches anti-migrant ad campaign
- 9Hungarian camerawoman fired after being filmed kicking migrants
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees… or are they?
- 12Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees…or are they?
- 13Spain: Catalan President faces ‘civil disobedience’ charges over breakaway vote
- 14International news | euronews, latest international news
- 15Banzai back in the vocabulary as Japan passes law allowing combat deployments
- 16Exclusive: shipwatchers chart Russian hardware heading into Med
- 17[Live] All the Rugby World Cup news in one place
- 18Which European countries offer the most social benefits to migrants?
- 19What the top tweets worldwide are saying about #refugees
- 20[Live] Catalonia: separatists heading for clear win in crucial elections
Wires > Sport
- 04:36 CET Ecuador stun Argentina to win 2-0 in Buenos Aires
- 04:00 CET Chile beat Brazil 2-0 in opening World Cup qualifier
- 00:57 CET Uruguay get first ever win at high altitude in Bolivia
- 00:55 CET Romania end long goal drought to keep Euro hopes alive
- 00:47 CET Insight – As lawyers took control at FIFA, Blatter became…
- 00:06 CET Albania progress on hold after 2-0 defeat by Serbia
- 23:37 CET Bode saves Hungary as they come from behind to stay alive
- 23:32 CET Moutinho cracker sends Portugal to Euro 2016