Former Barcelona and Spain international goalkeeper Antoni Ramallets has died at the age of 89 after a long illness.
Ramallets spent most of his playing career at Barca and played 473 games for the Catalan giants between 1946 and 1961.
With the club he won six La Liga titles, five Spanish Cups and two Inter-Cities Fairs Cups.
He was also a five-time winner of the Zamora trophy, which is awarded to the goalkeeper with the lowest goals-to-games ratio during the La Liga season.
Ramallets earned 35 caps playing for Spain and was part of the national squad that participated in the 1950 World Cup in Brazil where they reached the semi-finals.
His performance in Brazil earned him the nickname ‘The Cat of Maracana’.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 3[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 4Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 5[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 6Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 7Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 8NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 9Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 10Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 11‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 12Romania, Hungary and Bulgaria focus of EU cash fraud probes
- 13Interpol issues ‘red notice’ for accused ex-FIFA bosses
- 14Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 15Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 16Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 17Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 18Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
- 19Greek banks, stock exchange will not open on Monday, Tsipras announces
- 20Hungary: billboard war sparks international concern
Wires > Sport
- 23:59 CET Sweden lift Euro U21 crown with shootout win over Portugal
- 23:57 CET Pearson’s Leicester adventure runs its course
- 22:58 CET Former Russia captain Arshavin may quit football
- 22:35 CET Blatter decides not to attend women’s World Cup final in Canada
- 22:25 CET Leicester sack Pearson over basic ‘differences’
- 21:41 CET Halep checks out of hotel Wimbledon early
- 21:29 CET Spanish federation chief to face probe over finances
- 19:44 CET Ferrari fan Ricciardo says a move is unlikely