Pakistani lawmakers have elected veteran politician Mamnoon Hussain as the country’s new president.
The head of state is largely a ceremonial post which is not voted for in a popular ballot, but by lawmakers in the Senate, the National Assembly and the assemblies of the country’s four provinces.
Hussain will be sworn in at the start of September replacing Asif Ali Zardari who is stepping down at the end of his five-year term.
The new president-elect is a trusted long time ally of Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif and was an active member of the ruling Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz party.
The 73-year-old resigned his membership after the results were announced in what is seen as a symbolic move to establish himself as a non-partisan president.
The main opposition the Pakistan People’s Party boycotted the vote over a change in the election schedule.
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 2Rescuers in China get aid through to quake-struck village on foot
- 3Two gunmen shot dead at art show featuring Mohammad cartoons in Texas
- 4ISIL now ‘weak,’ says Iraqi PM
- 5Ethopian Israelis protest in Tel Aviv against police brutality and racism
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 2Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 5Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 6It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 7Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 8The migrants tragedy in the Mediterranean sparks creative satirical response | euronews, world news
- 9Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 10Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 11How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 12Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 13ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 14Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
- 15International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 16International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 17Energy-generating clothes and smart lights join the Internet of Things | euronews, hi-tech
- 18Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 19International news | euronews, latest international news
- 20Fighting Boko Haram: Chad aims to ‘destroy’ militant group | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 14:42 CET Israel’s Lieberman says won’t join new government
- 14:30 CET Kerry heading to Middle East this week -State Department
- 14:29 CET NATO starts anti submarine exercise in North Sea as tension with…
- 14:21 CET Burundi activist says two dead in protests; no police comment
- 14:19 CET ‘No room’ for gays in Kenya, says deputy president
- 14:12 CET Seeking global role, China presses Europe in diplomatic push
- 14:09 CET Ethiopian protests draw attention to racism in Israel
- 12:47 CET Italian PM Renzi promises more reform once electoral law passes