30/07/13 18:36 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Pakistani lawmakers have elected veteran politician Mamnoon Hussain as the country’s new president.
The head of state is largely a ceremonial post which is not voted for in a popular ballot, but by lawmakers in the Senate, the National Assembly and the assemblies of the country’s four provinces.
Hussain will be sworn in at the start of September replacing Asif Ali Zardari who is stepping down at the end of his five-year term.
The new president-elect is a trusted long time ally of Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif and was an active member of the ruling Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz party.
The 73-year-old resigned his membership after the results were announced in what is seen as a symbolic move to establish himself as a non-partisan president.
The main opposition the Pakistan People’s Party boycotted the vote over a change in the election schedule.
- 1Turkey blames US for ‘sea of blood’ in region
- 2Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 3Syrian monitoring group says at least 500 killed in Aleppo offensive
- 4‘Human error responsible’ for deadly Bad Aibling train crash – sources
- 5One of world’s biggest container ships stranded on German river
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Most Istanbul blast victims ‘were German’, says Turkey
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 6Partnering to grow Europe
- 7Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 8Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 9Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 11Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 12‘National’ funeral for Celine Dion’s husband ‘over the top’
- 13Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 14International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 15Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 16latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 18Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 20world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
Wires > News
- 07:03 CET Ex-Anglo Irish Bank head due back in Boston court
- 05:48 CET North Korea feels global pressure but not completely ostracised
- 03:29 CET Republicans Christie, Fiorina drop White House bids
- 00:54 CET Turkey, Greece seek NATO mission in Aegean – German official
- 00:10 CET Short of options, Sri Lanka turns back to Beijing’s embrace
- 00:07 CET Auschwitz guard, 93, stands trial in Germany
- 00:06 CET With fewer U.S. troops in Afghanistan, pressure grows for more air…
- 00:01 CET North Korea satellite not transmitting, but rocket payload a…