Huge crowds have turned out to see Pope Francis on the penultimate day of his trip to Brazil.
During a Mass service at Rio de Janeiro’s Metropolitan Cathedral, the pontiff addressed a congregation of a thousand bishops and clerics – repeating his message that they must go out to help the country’s poor.
“Let us look to the pastoral needs of those on the outskirts, to bring the Gospel to those who are farthest way, with those who do not usually go to church. They are the VIP guests. Go to the crossroads, go and find them,” said Francis.
Later the pope visited Rio’s municipal theatre where he joined children on stage and met with some of Brazil’s indigenous people.
On Sunday, he will hold a closing mass for World Youth Day before flying back to Rome.
Millions of people have turned out to see the first Latin American pontiff since his arrival on Monday.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Italy swamped by flash floods | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 6Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 7India PM Modi appoints Yoga minister | euronews, world news
- 8[Live] Rosetta’s Philae lands on comet 67P and enters the history books | euronews, world news
- 9Vladimir Putin most powerful man in the world – Forbes | euronews, world news
- 10European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 11International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 12Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 13Nadia Comaneci: gymnast of perfection and defector | euronews, the global conversation
- 14Putin plans to leave G20 talks early amid Ukraine pressure | euronews, world news
- 15Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released | euronews, world news
- 16US says ISIL makes $1 million-a-day selling oil – even to enemies | euronews, world news
- 17Syria: Islamic extremists pledge to press ahead with battle for Kobani | euronews, world news
- 18International news | euronews, latest international news
- 19Anti-immigration protests in Rome | euronews, world news
- 20Portugal: Ex-PM José Socrates held in corruption probe | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 22:42 CET Multi-national crew blasts off for space station
- 22:32 CET France’s Hollande made left-wing voters feel betrayed – ex-partner
- 21:37 CET No easy ‘plan B’ for Iran if nuclear talks with major powers…
- 21:01 CET Polish opposition says local poll result ‘dishonest’
- 20:12 CET Tunisians vote for first freely elected president of post-Ben Ali…
- 19:54 CET Iranian-British woman jailed over sport protest released on bail
- 19:48 CET Police in Tobago investigate murder of German couple on beach
- 17:47 CET Thai king meets PM, ministers easing health concerns