Huge crowds have turned out to see Pope Francis on the penultimate day of his trip to Brazil.
During a Mass service at Rio de Janeiro’s Metropolitan Cathedral, the pontiff addressed a congregation of a thousand bishops and clerics – repeating his message that they must go out to help the country’s poor.
“Let us look to the pastoral needs of those on the outskirts, to bring the Gospel to those who are farthest way, with those who do not usually go to church. They are the VIP guests. Go to the crossroads, go and find them,” said Francis.
Later the pope visited Rio’s municipal theatre where he joined children on stage and met with some of Brazil’s indigenous people.
On Sunday, he will hold a closing mass for World Youth Day before flying back to Rome.
Millions of people have turned out to see the first Latin American pontiff since his arrival on Monday.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Madeleine Albright on evil, Putin, Trump, Syria and diplomatic kisses
Latest world news
TTIP: French president Hollande says France will say no to EU-US trade deal “at this stage”
Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
Spain arrests four men allegedly behind on-line Islamist Radicalisation plot
Probe indicates falsified documents in Flamanville nuclear plant construction
Turkey to abolish visas for Greek Cypriots
Wires > News
- 14:05 CET New security at Brussels Airport causes delays, missed flights
- 14:02 CET U.S. targets Islamic State in Mosul, other cities in Iraq, Syria
- 13:59 CET Turkey to abolish visas for EU states including Cyprus under…
- 13:51 CET Islamic State forces kill U.S. armed forces member in Iraq
- 13:29 CET Baby pulled out alive three days after collapse of Kenya building
- 13:18 CET Fists fly as Sri Lankan MPs protest changing of the guard for…
- 13:17 CET Rebel shelling kills at least 19 in Aleppo – Observatory
- 13:07 CET Hungary plans to hold migrant quota referendum in September or…