Egypt’s Muslim Brotherhood has reacted angrily to a call by the country’s military chief for mass rallies to support the army backed regime which toppled elected Islamist president Mohamed Mursi.
By saying he wanted a clear mandate to tackle violence and terrorism, General al-Sisi has raised the pressure on Mursi loyalists.
Speaking at a news conference Muslim Brotherhood spokesman, Gehad el-Haddad accused the general of issuing a call for civil war.
“ The coalition asserts that the threats made by al-Sisi, leader of the military coup, are nothing short of a full call for civil war and a warning that massacres, widespread massacres will be held under a false cover of popular support.”
Meanwhile the US has halted a delivery of four F-16 fighter jets in the strongest signal yet of Washington’s impatience with Egypt’s armed forces.
Alarmed by the street violence following the toppling of Mursi, the US is pressing the military-led government to get the democratic transition in place.
- 1Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 2Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
- 3Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 4Saakashvili warns of Odessa region’s importance to Ukraine
- 5Tsipras says if Greeks approve the EU’s aid plan, Syriza will resign
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 3[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 4[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 5Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 6Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 8Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 9Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 10Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 11‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 12NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 13Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 16Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 17Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 18Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
- 19Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
- 20Hungary: billboard war sparks international concern
Wires > News
- 19:42 CET Chicago’s Fourth of July rituals – fireworks, gun deaths
- 19:32 CET 800 million still hungry and poor despite progress of millennium…
- 19:20 CET Bulgaria eyes Poland fighter deal to cut dependence on Russia
- 19:04 CET Insight – Iranian nuclear deal set to make hardline Revolutionary…
- 18:52 CET Cash urged for schools in crisis zones as refugee numbers surge
- 18:49 CET Zimbabwe’s Mugabe moves ‘devil incarnate’ information minister in…
- 18:40 CET Inside the Saudi prison that’s home to new wave of jihadis
- 17:40 CET Armenian protesters call for evening rally after police remove…