French unemployment claims continue to rise, hitting a new record in June, up 11.2 percent from the same month last year.
The Labour Ministry did try to accentuate the positive by pointing out that the figures for May and June indicate a slowdown from the first four months of the year.
The latest worsening of the job market, brought the total number of French people out of work to almost 3.28 million
That is up 0.5 percent from May, or nearly 15,000 new jobseekers.
The numbers are a fresh blow to President Francois Hollande’s pledge to reverse the rising unemployment trend by the end of the year.
There was some good news about the number of under 25 year olds registered as out of work.
The total fell by 0.3 percent from May, but they are still the hardest hit by the jobs crisis with almost 556,000 young people unemployed in France. The number of jobseekers older than 50 increased by 0.9 percent.
The Labour Ministry data is the most frequently reported jobs indicator in France, though it is not prepared according to ILO standards nor expressed as a percentage of job seekers.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Italy swamped by flash floods | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 6Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 7India PM Modi appoints Yoga minister | euronews, world news
- 8[Live] Rosetta’s Philae lands on comet 67P and enters the history books | euronews, world news
- 9Vladimir Putin most powerful man in the world – Forbes | euronews, world news
- 10European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 11International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 12Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 13Nadia Comaneci: gymnast of perfection and defector | euronews, the global conversation
- 14Putin plans to leave G20 talks early amid Ukraine pressure | euronews, world news
- 15Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released | euronews, world news
- 16Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania | euronews, world news
- 17Syria: Islamic extremists pledge to press ahead with battle for Kobani | euronews, world news
- 18Anti-immigration protests in Rome | euronews, world news
- 19Portugal: Ex-PM José Socrates held in corruption probe | euronews, world news
- 20European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
Wires > Business
- 08:25 CET Telefonica in talks to sell O2 to BT – report
- 06:50 CET Hyundai Motor, Kia Motors lift 2014 global sales target on China…
- 06:46 CET Asia stocks jump as China, Europe step up stimulus
- 06:29 CET Exclusive – China ready to cut rates again on fears of deflation…
- 04:36 CET Exclusive – China ready to cut rates again on fears of deflation…
- 03:34 CET Exclusive – China ready to cut rates again on fears of deflation -…
- 03:02 CET Asia stocks jump as China, Europe step up stimulus
- 00:23 CET Asia cheered by China, European stimulus