French unemployment claims continue to rise, hitting a new record in June, up 11.2 percent from the same month last year.
The Labour Ministry did try to accentuate the positive by pointing out that the figures for May and June indicate a slowdown from the first four months of the year.
The latest worsening of the job market, brought the total number of French people out of work to almost 3.28 million
That is up 0.5 percent from May, or nearly 15,000 new jobseekers.
The numbers are a fresh blow to President Francois Hollande’s pledge to reverse the rising unemployment trend by the end of the year.
There was some good news about the number of under 25 year olds registered as out of work.
The total fell by 0.3 percent from May, but they are still the hardest hit by the jobs crisis with almost 556,000 young people unemployed in France. The number of jobseekers older than 50 increased by 0.9 percent.
The Labour Ministry data is the most frequently reported jobs indicator in France, though it is not prepared according to ILO standards nor expressed as a percentage of job seekers.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 6Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 7Turkey: Explosion hits Istanbul’s main tourist district
- 8Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 9Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Partnering to grow Europe
- 11Macedonian Postcards: The Mavrovo National Park
- 12Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 13Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 14Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 15Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 16Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 18smart care - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20Meet Bernie Sanders, the democratic socialist who wants to be US president
latest economy news
Volkswagen emissions scandal delays 2015 financial results and shareholders’ meeting
Toyota in optimistic mood over China and US
US jobs growth weaker but steady in January – up by 151,000
ECB’s Draghi: We have to aggressively fight ultra-low inflation
Royal Dutch Shell is latest to have profit hammered by low oil prices
Wires > Business
- 20:35 CET Seven countries call for EU action to help steel industry
- 20:22 CET Investors cheer Argentina’s swift offer to holdouts
- 01:36 CET Exclusive: Pentagon’s budget plan funds 404 Lockheed F-35 jets -…
- 01:08 CET BlackBerry cuts 200 jobs in Ontario and Florida to trim costs
- 23:04 CET New Jersey sues VW over excess diesel emissions
- 22:39 CET Global stocks fall after U.S. jobs report muddles Fed outlook
- 22:12 CET 1957 Ferrari racing car sold at auction for record $35.6 million
- 21:46 CET Eurosytem financial assets grew by 5 percent per year since 2002 -…