French unemployment claims continue to rise, hitting a new record in June, up 11.2 percent from the same month last year.
The Labour Ministry did try to accentuate the positive by pointing out that the figures for May and June indicate a slowdown from the first four months of the year.
The latest worsening of the job market, brought the total number of French people out of work to almost 3.28 million
That is up 0.5 percent from May, or nearly 15,000 new jobseekers.
The numbers are a fresh blow to President Francois Hollande’s pledge to reverse the rising unemployment trend by the end of the year.
There was some good news about the number of under 25 year olds registered as out of work.
The total fell by 0.3 percent from May, but they are still the hardest hit by the jobs crisis with almost 556,000 young people unemployed in France. The number of jobseekers older than 50 increased by 0.9 percent.
The Labour Ministry data is the most frequently reported jobs indicator in France, though it is not prepared according to ILO standards nor expressed as a percentage of job seekers.
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 4Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 5The migrants tragedy in the Mediterranean sparks creative satirical response | euronews, world news
- 6Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 7Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 8Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 9Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 10ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 11International news | euronews, latest international news
- 12Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
- 13Indonesia executes five foreigners despite protest | euronews, world news
- 14International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 15eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 16Energy-generating clothes and smart lights join the Internet of Things | euronews, hi-tech
- 17Fighting Boko Haram: Chad aims to ‘destroy’ militant group | euronews, world news
- 18International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 19Russia bans film adaptation of ‘Child 44’ | euronews, world news
- 20World news video | euronews the latest world news online | breaking world news video
Wires > Business
- 06:18 CET Brent crude holds near 4-1/2 month high on Yemen, U.S. rig count
- 05:01 CET China March industrial profits fall 0.4 percent, down 2.7 percent…
- 03:36 CET BHP faces 269 million pound tax bill on Singapore marketing hub
- 01:15 CET Volkswagen board members demanded Piech go after learning of…
- 01:03 CET 5,000 small firms back Conservatives ahead of elections – Telegraph
- 00:32 CET Government would oppose any takeover of BP – FT
- 21:29 CET Analysis – SEC’s stock market reform club locks out retail brokers
- 20:43 CET Sika’s family owner seeks to overturn AGM decisions about takeover