Pope Francis celebrated Mass in a church in the archdiocese of Rio de Janeiro with the Papal delegation. It was a private time on his first trip outside Italy and in stark contrast to the noise and emotion of Brazil for the 76-year-old Argentine pontiff.
The high profile seven day visit to began with huge crowds lining the streets as he was driven in a modest family car from the airport.
There were chaotic scenes as the vehicle became stuck in one of the city’s infamous traffic jams, after the pope’s driver reportedly took the wrong turn.
The Pope’s visit to Rio is part of the biennial World Youth Day gathering. “God wished that the first international trip of my pontificate should take me back to my beloved Latin America,” he said shortly after arriving.
Wires > News
- 12:16 CET Bombs in Baghdad kill nine, wound 26 – sources
- 12:15 CET Japan to support Mekong countries with 750 billion yen over three…
- 12:13 CET Kerry says getting closer to an understanding on Syria ceasefire
- 12:11 CET Denmark extends controls on German border until June 2
- 12:07 CET Clinton, looking ahead to U.S. general election, begins Appalachia…
- 12:05 CET Indiana to test Donald Trump’s staying power with evangelicals
- 11:40 CET Hundreds promoting independence detained in Indonesia’s Papua
- 08:32 CET Drones, Turkish artillery hit Islamic State in Syria, 34 dead -…