Pope Francis celebrated Mass in a church in the archdiocese of Rio de Janeiro with the Papal delegation. It was a private time on his first trip outside Italy and in stark contrast to the noise and emotion of Brazil for the 76-year-old Argentine pontiff.
The high profile seven day visit to began with huge crowds lining the streets as he was driven in a modest family car from the airport.
There were chaotic scenes as the vehicle became stuck in one of the city’s infamous traffic jams, after the pope’s driver reportedly took the wrong turn.
The Pope’s visit to Rio is part of the biennial World Youth Day gathering. “God wished that the first international trip of my pontificate should take me back to my beloved Latin America,” he said shortly after arriving.
- 1Tunisia: State of emergency declared after Islamist terror attack on tourists
- 2Greeks set to vote in knife-edge referendum
- 3Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
- 4The Corinth Canal: a metaphor for the feeling of division in Greece?
- 5Syria: Fierce fighting as Assad army and rebels push to make key gains
- 1Saakashvili warns of Odessa region’s importance to Ukraine
- 2Greece: with referendum looming ‘Yes’ vote ahead, opinion poll suggests
- 3Finland tops European countries in latest happiness survey
- 4Thousands rally in France in support of Greek “no” vote
- 5Tsipras: ‘no’ vote will mean a better deal with lenders
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 3Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 4[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 5[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 6Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 7Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 8[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 9Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 10NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 11Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 12‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 13Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 14Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 15Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 16Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 17Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
- 18Greek banks, stock exchange will not open on Monday, Tsipras announces
- 19Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
- 20Hungary: billboard war sparks international concern
Wires > News
- 01:50 CET America celebrates July 4 with hot dogs, banners and barbecues
- 01:32 CET China lobbies hard ahead of Manila’s South China Sea arbitration…
- 01:27 CET Small is beautiful, say South Koreans making plans to marry
- 01:06 CET Pope heads to South America to champion the poor and the planet
- 23:03 CET Hillary Clinton accuses China of hacking U.S. computers
- 21:49 CET Suspected Congo Ebola victims test negative for the virus
- 21:21 CET Ecuador’s Correa laments protests ahead of Pope’s visit
- 21:06 CET Hillary Clinton – no substitute for ‘constant engagement’ with…