It has been revealed contaminated ground water from the Fukushima nuclear power plant in Japan had probably been flowing into the sea.
Tokyo Electric Power Company, or Tepco, made the announcement within 24 hours of Prime Minister Shinzo Abe’s election victory. It was the first time the company had acknowledged such a leakage.
Revealing the details the company’s general manager added that, based on water samples any impact appeared to have been contained by silt fences.
Tepco was in charge of the reactors when the earthquake and tsunami in March two years ago struck. It knocked out cooling systems which triggered fuel meltdowns. That led to radiation leakage and food contamination in the worst nuclear accident since 1986.
- 1Spain heading for constitutional tension as Catalonia calls an early election
- 2Obama unveils US plan to cut carbon emissions
- 3Ukrainians protest against a planned “buffer zone”
- 4Italy arrests Mafia suspects after cracking Cosa Nostra’s secret code words
- 5Handling of a child sex abuse complaint against a former British prime minister to be investigated.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 10French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 13Latest News Bulletin
- 14Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
- 20European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
Wires > News
- 19:26 CET German justice minister sacks top prosecutor over treason row
- 19:22 CET Italian minister visits Iran seeking better ties
- 19:02 CET Gaddafi loyalists stage rare protest in eastern Libya
- 18:33 CET Obama’s climate plan shows U.S. can change world – U.N.‘s Ban
- 18:31 CET Further conflict, debt dispute pose high risk to Ukraine recovery…
- 18:14 CET Russia resubmits claim for energy-rich Arctic shelf
- 17:42 CET Syria foreign minister in Tehran for talks with Iran, Russia
- 17:29 CET Turkish jets hit PKK targets, soldiers killed in southeast