Parents in the Indian city of Patna help to evacuate their children from hospital. It is another twist in a tragedy in which 23 pupils at a local primary school died from food poisoning earlier this week. The survivors are being treated at the hospital.
Smoke billowed from the air conditioning system which created panic in the ward. It was later confirmed an electric wire which caught fire had caused the problem.
Gas bottles were removed as a precaution. Twenty-four pupils and a cook are being treated after the outbreak of food poisoning which was India’s worst in years. The magistrate overseeing the investigation into it says police believe it was caused by cooking oil which was kept in a container which had previously been used to store pesticide.
He could not confirm if it was a deliberate act or negligence. Police have been looking for the headmistress of the school and have searched her house twice.
The free lunch time meals which the children had eaten are part of a national scheme aimed at tackling malnutrition and encouraging children to attend school.