Thousands of angry protesters in the Kashmir region took to the streets today after government forces were said to have killed villagers at an earlier protest.
Demonstrators in Srinagar, an Indian-administered region of Kashmir, expressed their fury at the fatal shooting of at least four people and the wounding of around 40 others by police.
Those killed were protesting the alleged desecration of the Koran by Indian security forces.
The inspector general of the Border Security Force (BSF), Rajive Krishan, claims the protesters were killed in an attempt to disperse a violent mob trying to get into a post where arms and ammunition were stored.
“Our men used the force for self defence,” Krishan said.
The news of the deaths and injuries was met by anger by groups of demonstrators around Kashmir.
Protesters threw stones and burnt tyres while chanting anti-government slogans.
“We are protesting against the indiscriminate firing at protesters by the BSF at Gool Ramban, in which many young men and youths were martyred,” said Javaid Ahmad Mir, a senior leader of Jammu and Kashmir Liberation Front (JKLF), a Kashmiri nationalist organisation.
Though Kashmir has recently been more peaceful since the peak of violence in the 1990s, India continues to face opposition to its rule in the divided Muslim-majority region.
There are fears the tension could trigger widespread protests in the coming days.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1Spain: NATO plane crash kills 10, injures 21
- 2Ukrainian rebel attacks on city of Mariupol are condemned by the UN as a war crime
- 3Ukraine rebels pursue offensive in worst fighting since September
- 4Alexis Tsipras: Left-wing, anti-austerity and in charge of Greece
- 5Second symbolic gesture and first official visit for Tsipras
- 1International concern grows after fighting in Ukraine escalates
- 2Soaring Swiss franc may leave EU mortgage holders homeless
- 3Six French skiers perish in deadly Alpine avalanche
- 4Greek elections: SYRIZA on course to win, but may fall short of majority
- 5Auschwitz and other survivors who were ‘freed but never free’
- 1Pope Francis says Catholics don’t need to breed ‘like rabbits’
- 2Greek elections: SYRIZA on course to win, but may fall short of majority
- 3German men ‘can use toilet while standing’, judge rules
- 4Captured Ukraine troops forced to face angry crowd after Donetsk bus stop shelling
- 5No word on Japanese hostages after ISIL deadline passes
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2The power of the pen: Cartoonists worldwide react to the Charlie Hebdo attack | euronews, world news
- 3Immigration, racism in sport and the rise of extremism – Cantona shares his views | euronews, interview
- 4[LIVE] 12 dead after gun attack at French satirical weekly Charlie Hebdo | euronews, world news
- 5[LIVE NOW] Massive unity rally in Paris, with similar marches in other French cities | euronews, world news
- 6[LIVE] Second hostage crisis erupts in Paris as police close in on Charlie Hebdo suspects | euronews, world news
- 7Muslim groups fear backlash after terrorist attacks in Paris | euronews, news
- 8International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 9“ISIL is the baby of George W Bush” | euronews, news
- 10Medieval Bruges is to get its own underground beer pipeline | euronews, world news
- 11Almost four million turn out for unity rallies across France | euronews, world news
- 12euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 13Key questions around the Charlie Hebdo killings go unanswered | euronews, world news
- 14A defiant Charlie Hebdo: it’s not the front page the terrorists would’ve wanted | euronews, world news
- 15HarperCollins wipes Israel off the map | euronews, world news
- 16NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 18France: Angouleme council takes down anti-homeless cages around benches after outcry | euronews, world news
- 19Grim task of retrieving bodies after wreckage of missing AirAsia plane found | euronews, world news
- 20Charlie Hebdo: Israeli paper deletes women from Paris march | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 10:36 CET Nine Ukrainian soldiers killed in ‘tense’ eastern conflict – Kiev…
- 10:03 CET Belgium detains three men with links to radical groups -…
- 10:02 CET Economist Varoufakis says to become new Greek finance minister on…
- 09:54 CET South Korea, China warn Japan not to backtrack on apology over…
- 09:48 CET French police arrest four in anti-jihadist raid
- 09:25 CET Bullets hit flydubai passenger jet at Baghdad airport
- 09:18 CET French police arrest four in anti-jihadist action
- 09:09 CET Indonesia’s military halts recovery efforts for crashed AirAsia jet