18/07/13 16:35 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Scores of Bulgarians took to the streets of the capital Sofia on Friday, the 176th anniversary of the birth of the country’s national hero, Vasil Levski.
For over a month daily rallies have been held to call for the resignation of the new government protesters accuse of being riddled with corruption.
“It’s just unique, not only do I have the feeling I live in a police state but in a state which has absolutely nothing to do with its people,” said one man taking part in the latest demonstrations.
“We are sitting here because Sofia must be blocked. Let’s all go onto the streets today because Sofia must be blocked. Today is the day of Levski. Today is the day of change,” said another.
The protester’s numbers were expected to grow during the evening, as organisers had called for a show of strength to celebrate the national day. The daily political protests have also been at their best-attended in the evenings.
Five years of EU membership have seen Bulgaria remain rooted at the bottom of the EU’s wealth table, and the people are increasingly frustrated at the lack of progress.
Latest world news
Iran election: ‘Victory’ for allies of reformist Rouhani
Trump jokes about protest in California
Air strikes and shelling cause more deaths in Aleppo
Kenya burns over a hundred tons of elephant tusks and calls for a worldwide ban on ivory sales
Norwegian helicopter crash victims all presumed dead
Wires > News
- 10:38 CET Bomb in Baghdad suburb kills at least 13 – police sources
- 09:58 CET Thailand jails nine activists charged with sedition, computer…
- 09:13 CET China denies Hong Kong visit request by U.S. carrier group -…
- 01:51 CET Oil rig helicopter crashes off Norway coast, 13 presumed dead
- 00:44 CET Six-storey building collapses as floods hit Kenyan capital, three…
- 00:10 CET Britain praises Cuba’s Castro for embracing realities of modernity
- 23:29 CET ‘Monstrous’ violence in Syria as government excludes Aleppo from…
- 23:12 CET Russian fighter did barrel roll over U.S. reconnaissance plane -…