Cory Monteith died of a seemingly accidental overdose of heroin and alcohol, according to Canadian authorities.
The 31-year-old, who was found dead on Saturday, had a lead role in the musical-comedy series ‘Glee’ and was publicly known to struggle with substance abuse issues. In April 2013, Monteith voluntarily completed treatment at a rehab facility and had also been treated in a facility when he was 19.
The British Columbia Coroners Service confirmed cause of death in a press release on Tuesday, stating that the actor, who was found in a Vancouver hotel room, died of “mixed-drug toxicity involving heroin and alcohol.”
Monteith’s death does not seem to have been deliberate: “There is absolutely nothing at this point, no evidence to suggest this is anything but the most sad and tragic accident,” confirmed spokesperson for the Coroners Service, Barb McLintock.
Police in Vancouver believe the actor returned to the hotel in the early hours of Saturday morning and was alone when he died: “There was evidence in the room that was consistent with a drug overdose,” spokesman Brian Montague said.
He went on to add that the Vancouver Police Department’s conclusion was backed up by the Coroners Service report, but would not disclose details of the evidence found in the star’s hotel room.
Lea Michele, Monteith’s on and off-screen girlfriend, is said to be with his family. Representatives for Michele issued a statement on her behalf on Tuesday. It read in part: “Since Cory’s passing, Lea has been grieving alongside his family and making appropriate arrangements with them. They are supporting each other as they endure this profound loss together.”
The fifth season of ‘Glee’, which has won Golden Globe, Emmy and Peabody awards, is due to premiere on US broadcaster Fox on September 19. Monteith’s character Finn Hudson, was intrinsic to promoting the ongoing theme of tolerance in the series. His death is expected to deal a major blow to the show.
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist
- 2Unverified video appears to show ISIL killing of 30 Ethiopian Christians
- 3US Navy deploys two more warships near Yemen as conflict escalates
- 4Ethiopia: Clashes at rally to mourn Christians killed by ISIL in Libya
- 5Spain arrests murder suspect on Britain’s most-wanted list
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 4Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 5The migrants tragedy in the Mediterranean sparks creative satirical response | euronews, world news
- 6Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 7French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 8Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 9International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 10Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 11Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 12ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 13eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 14International news | euronews, latest international news
- 15Indonesia executes five foreigners despite protest | euronews, world news
- 16French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 17Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
- 18Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 19[Live updates] France plane crash: damaged black box ‘can provide information’ | euronews, world news
- 20Fighting Boko Haram: Chad aims to ‘destroy’ militant group | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 20:57 CET U.S. voices concern over India action against Ford Foundation…
- 20:55 CET Devastating Nepal quake kills over 1,300, some in Everest avalanche
- 20:22 CET Migrant rescue mission must extend closer to Libya – Amnesty…
- 20:18 CET Germany says will deny entry to some Russian Night Wolves bikers
- 19:24 CET Ukraine and pro-Russian separatists trade accusations as Minsk…
- 19:01 CET Israeli forces kill two knife-wielding Palestinians – police
- 18:37 CET U.S., allies conduct 15 air strikes in Syria, Iraq – military
- 18:00 CET Biggest Serb party in Bosnia threatens 2018 secession