Cory Monteith died of a seemingly accidental overdose of heroin and alcohol, according to Canadian authorities.
The 31-year-old, who was found dead on Saturday, had a lead role in the musical-comedy series ‘Glee’ and was publicly known to struggle with substance abuse issues. In April 2013, Monteith voluntarily completed treatment at a rehab facility and had also been treated in a facility when he was 19.
The British Columbia Coroners Service confirmed cause of death in a press release on Tuesday, stating that the actor, who was found in a Vancouver hotel room, died of “mixed-drug toxicity involving heroin and alcohol.”
Monteith’s death does not seem to have been deliberate: “There is absolutely nothing at this point, no evidence to suggest this is anything but the most sad and tragic accident,” confirmed spokesperson for the Coroners Service, Barb McLintock.
Police in Vancouver believe the actor returned to the hotel in the early hours of Saturday morning and was alone when he died: “There was evidence in the room that was consistent with a drug overdose,” spokesman Brian Montague said.
He went on to add that the Vancouver Police Department’s conclusion was backed up by the Coroners Service report, but would not disclose details of the evidence found in the star’s hotel room.
Lea Michele, Monteith’s on and off-screen girlfriend, is said to be with his family. Representatives for Michele issued a statement on her behalf on Tuesday. It read in part: “Since Cory’s passing, Lea has been grieving alongside his family and making appropriate arrangements with them. They are supporting each other as they endure this profound loss together.”
The fifth season of ‘Glee’, which has won Golden Globe, Emmy and Peabody awards, is due to premiere on US broadcaster Fox on September 19. Monteith’s character Finn Hudson, was intrinsic to promoting the ongoing theme of tolerance in the series. His death is expected to deal a major blow to the show.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms
- 2NATO accuses Russian bombers of flying close to its airspace
- 3France ‘to deliver’ Mistral warship, says Russia
- 4France says ‘conditions not met’ for Mistral warship delivery to Russia
- 5Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 3International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 4Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 5European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 6Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 7All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 8How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 9What to expect in “The World of Ice and Fire,” George R.R. Martin’s new book | euronews, world news
- 10Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 11Philippe Starck: ‘Words like longevity and legacy have become almost avant-garde’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 12Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 13Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 14US says ISIL makes $1 million-a-day selling oil – even to enemies | euronews, world news
- 15Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 16International news | euronews, latest international news
- 17International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 18US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
- 19euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 20Maritime drama deepens as Sweden extends ‘mystery submarine’ search | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 18:45 CET Clashes erupt as Israeli police kill Palestinian suspected of…
- 18:43 CET No hope for survivors in Sri Lanka landslide, over 100 dead
- 18:42 CET Sweden recognises Palestinian state, hopes will revive peace…
- 18:39 CET Two dead, several injured after plane crashes at Kansas airport
- 18:11 CET Political crisis in Kosovo thwarts president’s historic Serbia…
- 18:08 CET Ukraine, Russia, EU likely to agree gas supply deal Thursday -…
- 17:58 CET Trust us, EU asks Kosovo amid corruption probe
- 17:50 CET Exclusive: Canada spy agency must improve information sharing -…