Cory Monteith died of a seemingly accidental overdose of heroin and alcohol, according to Canadian authorities.
The 31-year-old, who was found dead on Saturday, had a lead role in the musical-comedy series ‘Glee’ and was publicly known to struggle with substance abuse issues. In April 2013, Monteith voluntarily completed treatment at a rehab facility and had also been treated in a facility when he was 19.
The British Columbia Coroners Service confirmed cause of death in a press release on Tuesday, stating that the actor, who was found in a Vancouver hotel room, died of “mixed-drug toxicity involving heroin and alcohol.”
Monteith’s death does not seem to have been deliberate: “There is absolutely nothing at this point, no evidence to suggest this is anything but the most sad and tragic accident,” confirmed spokesperson for the Coroners Service, Barb McLintock.
Police in Vancouver believe the actor returned to the hotel in the early hours of Saturday morning and was alone when he died: “There was evidence in the room that was consistent with a drug overdose,” spokesman Brian Montague said.
He went on to add that the Vancouver Police Department’s conclusion was backed up by the Coroners Service report, but would not disclose details of the evidence found in the star’s hotel room.
Lea Michele, Monteith’s on and off-screen girlfriend, is said to be with his family. Representatives for Michele issued a statement on her behalf on Tuesday. It read in part: “Since Cory’s passing, Lea has been grieving alongside his family and making appropriate arrangements with them. They are supporting each other as they endure this profound loss together.”
The fifth season of ‘Glee’, which has won Golden Globe, Emmy and Peabody awards, is due to premiere on US broadcaster Fox on September 19. Monteith’s character Finn Hudson, was intrinsic to promoting the ongoing theme of tolerance in the series. His death is expected to deal a major blow to the show.
- 1Saakashvili warns of Odessa region’s importance to Ukraine
- 2Greece: with referendum looming ‘Yes’ vote ahead, opinion poll suggests
- 3Finland tops European countries in latest happiness survey
- 4Tsipras: ‘no’ vote will mean a better deal with lenders
- 5Thousands rally in France in support of Greek “no” vote
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 3Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 4[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 5[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 6Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 7Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 8[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 9Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 10NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 11Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 12‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 13Romania, Hungary and Bulgaria focus of EU cash fraud probes
- 14Interpol issues ‘red notice’ for accused ex-FIFA bosses
- 15Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 16Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 17Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 18Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 19Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
- 20Greek banks, stock exchange will not open on Monday, Tsipras announces
Wires > News
- 17:15 CET Saudi policeman killed during arrest raid – SPA agency
- 17:11 CET Ecuador, first stop on Pope tour, highlights environment…
- 17:10 CET U.N. calls on Israel, Palestinians to prosecute Gaza war crimes
- 16:13 CET A week after Kuwait bombing, Sunnis and Shi’ites pray together for…
- 14:54 CET Chad seizes suspected Boko Haram weapons cache in N’Djamena
- 14:48 CET Hungary’s asylum bill blow to refugee protection – Council of…
- 14:31 CET Israel accuses Hamas of aiding Islamic State in Egypt
- 12:52 CET In Greece, a vote befitting the birthplace of democracy?