Cory Monteith died of a seemingly accidental overdose of heroin and alcohol, according to Canadian authorities.
The 31-year-old, who was found dead on Saturday, had a lead role in the musical-comedy series ‘Glee’ and was publicly known to struggle with substance abuse issues. In April 2013, Monteith voluntarily completed treatment at a rehab facility and had also been treated in a facility when he was 19.
The British Columbia Coroners Service confirmed cause of death in a press release on Tuesday, stating that the actor, who was found in a Vancouver hotel room, died of “mixed-drug toxicity involving heroin and alcohol.”
Monteith’s death does not seem to have been deliberate: “There is absolutely nothing at this point, no evidence to suggest this is anything but the most sad and tragic accident,” confirmed spokesperson for the Coroners Service, Barb McLintock.
Police in Vancouver believe the actor returned to the hotel in the early hours of Saturday morning and was alone when he died: “There was evidence in the room that was consistent with a drug overdose,” spokesman Brian Montague said.
He went on to add that the Vancouver Police Department’s conclusion was backed up by the Coroners Service report, but would not disclose details of the evidence found in the star’s hotel room.
Lea Michele, Monteith’s on and off-screen girlfriend, is said to be with his family. Representatives for Michele issued a statement on her behalf on Tuesday. It read in part: “Since Cory’s passing, Lea has been grieving alongside his family and making appropriate arrangements with them. They are supporting each other as they endure this profound loss together.”
The fifth season of ‘Glee’, which has won Golden Globe, Emmy and Peabody awards, is due to premiere on US broadcaster Fox on September 19. Monteith’s character Finn Hudson, was intrinsic to promoting the ongoing theme of tolerance in the series. His death is expected to deal a major blow to the show.
- 1Obama unveils US plan to cut carbon emissions
- 2Ukrainians protest against a planned “buffer zone”
- 3Spain heading for constitutional tension as Catalonia calls an early election
- 4Handling of a child sex abuse complaint against a former British prime minister to be investigated.
- 5Fatal floods batter India, Myanmar, Pakistan, Vietnam and Nepal
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 10French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 13Latest News Bulletin
- 14Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
- 20European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
Latest world news
More Stock Exchange losses in Greece as banking shares plunge
Yemen conflict: Hadi loyalists seize largest military base from Houthis
Pakistan hangs ‘teen’ convict despite protests from rights groups
ASEAN foreign ministers set to discuss South China Sea tensions
Nearly 1.5 million counterfeit cigarettes seized in Poland
Wires > News
- 11:33 CET Russia calls for international cooperation to fight Islamic State
- 11:28 CET Four killed in Macedonia floods
- 10:59 CET Philippines to raise South China Sea despite Beijing’s reluctance
- 10:43 CET China’s First Heavy chairman commits suicide amid anti-graft probe…
- 09:59 CET UK extends Iraqi air campaign against Islamic State until March…
- 08:52 CET Pakistan hangs man lawyers say was a child when charged with murder
- 08:49 CET Good progress made on Pacific trade deal despite talks failure -…
- 08:47 CET Returning Uighurs attacked Thai, Chinese police, China says