The Arab League have backed US secretary of state John Kerry’s push to revive Israel-Palestinian peace talks at a meeting in Jordan.
At a press conference an optimistic Kerry reminded Israel of the rewards of a deal leading to the creation of Palestinian state on land seized in the 1967 Middle East war, an Arab league idea dating back to 2002.
“Israel needs to look hard at this initiative, which promises Israel peace with 22 Arab nations and 35 Muslim nations – a total of 57 nations that are standing and waiting for the possibility of making peace with Israel,” said Kerry.
On Wednesday Israel approved 732 new homes to be built in a West Bank settlement. Peace talks have remained deadlocked over Israel continued settlement construction on occupied land.
Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas is expected to meet other Palestinian leaders on Thursday to discuss whether or not to resume negotiations with Israel. Though the discussions were called ‘urgent’ there is no sign from either side that a breakthrough is on the horizon.
- 1‘One day the world will know my name’, Germanwings co-pilot Lubitz ‘declared’
- 2Amanda Knox: ‘Joy’ as murder conviction overturned
- 3Doctor had excused co-pilot from work on day of tragic flight 9525
- 4Andreas Lubitz: Torn-up sick note and ‘mystery illness’ raise more questions about co-pilot
- 5Germanwings plane crash explanation stuns Europe
- 1Andreas Lubitz: Torn-up sick note for day of crash is found at home of Germanwings co-pilot
- 2Germanwings crash: Andreas Lubitz ‘received treatment for depression’
- 3Germanwings plane crash explanation stuns Europe
- 4German police remove items from flight 9525 co-pilot’s homes
- 5Author Scott Westerfeld captures dramatic footage after New York gas explosion
- 1Germanwings crash: search suspended
- 2Prosecutors believe co-pilot deliberately flew Germanwings jet into mountain
- 3Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say?
- 4Andreas Lubitz: Torn-up sick note for day of crash is found at home of Germanwings co-pilot
- 5Amazement in the hometown of Germanwings co-pilot Andreas Lubitz
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russian rumour mill suggests Putin suffering poor health | euronews, world news
- 3Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 6Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 9Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 10French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 11Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 12Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 13Handwriting and the digital age, time for change in schools? | euronews, learning world
- 14eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 15London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 16French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 17Manufacturing jihad – Nicolas Hénin explains what he learned about ISIL | euronews, the global conversation
- 18Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 19Which EU country has the biggest gender pay gap? | euronews, world news
- 20Romania left red-faced after France-Germany map gaffe | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 00:03 CET Guinea president announces new emergency measures in Ebola fight
- 22:48 CET Irish governing parties see poll boost as Sinn Fein falters
- 22:42 CET Greek PM Tsipras says he seeks no rift with Europe
- 21:52 CET Libya tells Arab summit arms embargo must be lifted to fight IS
- 20:32 CET EU’s Juncker postpones Kiev visit due to kidney stones
- 19:03 CET U.S., allies target Islamic State in Tikrit, other Iraqi cities
- 18:43 CET Thousands march through Rome against Renzi’s labour reform
- 18:21 CET Kenya hits out at Britain’s tougher travel warning