The Arab League have backed US secretary of state John Kerry’s push to revive Israel-Palestinian peace talks at a meeting in Jordan.
At a press conference an optimistic Kerry reminded Israel of the rewards of a deal leading to the creation of Palestinian state on land seized in the 1967 Middle East war, an Arab league idea dating back to 2002.
“Israel needs to look hard at this initiative, which promises Israel peace with 22 Arab nations and 35 Muslim nations – a total of 57 nations that are standing and waiting for the possibility of making peace with Israel,” said Kerry.
On Wednesday Israel approved 732 new homes to be built in a West Bank settlement. Peace talks have remained deadlocked over Israel continued settlement construction on occupied land.
Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas is expected to meet other Palestinian leaders on Thursday to discuss whether or not to resume negotiations with Israel. Though the discussions were called ‘urgent’ there is no sign from either side that a breakthrough is on the horizon.
Copyright © 2013 euronewsMore about:
- 1Mandela Memorial Sign Language Interpreter a ‘Fraud’
- 2Former Thai prime minister charged with murder
- 3Social networks respond to mystery sign language and Obama ‘selfie’ at Mandela memorial
- 4Uruguay makes history by legalising entire marijuana market
- 5US considers sanctions against Ukraine as Yanukovych’s offer of talks with the opposition is rejected
- 1Uruguay makes history by legalising entire marijuana market
- 2Mandela Memorial Sign Language Interpreter a ‘Fraud’
- 3Riot police raid Kyiv’s central square
- 4What’s God got to do with it?, asks Nobel Prize in Physics winner
- 5Italy: ‘Pitchfork protesters’ disrupt road and rail travel in protest at state of economy
- 19:56 CET Car bomb wounds 35 Egyptian police in Ismailia
- 19:54 CET Speaking in foreign tongues? Russian lawmakers say ‘nyet’
- 19:36 CET Brahimi sets deadline for naming Syrian delegations to peace talks
- 19:25 CET U.S. embassy condemns Romanian broadcast of anti-Semitic carol
- 18:59 CET Israel delays Bedouin resettlement plan
- 18:47 CET Congo signs peace deal with M23 rebels – Kenya presidential…
- 18:36 CET Greece to stop collecting property tax via electricity bills
- 18:35 CET Turkish minister’s visit raises hopes of thaw with Armenia