The Arab League have backed US secretary of state John Kerry’s push to revive Israel-Palestinian peace talks at a meeting in Jordan.
At a press conference an optimistic Kerry reminded Israel of the rewards of a deal leading to the creation of Palestinian state on land seized in the 1967 Middle East war, an Arab league idea dating back to 2002.
“Israel needs to look hard at this initiative, which promises Israel peace with 22 Arab nations and 35 Muslim nations – a total of 57 nations that are standing and waiting for the possibility of making peace with Israel,” said Kerry.
On Wednesday Israel approved 732 new homes to be built in a West Bank settlement. Peace talks have remained deadlocked over Israel continued settlement construction on occupied land.
Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas is expected to meet other Palestinian leaders on Thursday to discuss whether or not to resume negotiations with Israel. Though the discussions were called ‘urgent’ there is no sign from either side that a breakthrough is on the horizon.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 247 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 3Fighter jets ‘shot down’ over Ukraine
- 4TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 5Ukraine suspects one of its jets was shot down by another aircraft
- 147 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 2TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 3#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 4Fighter jets ‘shot down’ over Ukraine
- 5Costa Concordia finally clear of Giglio, destined for dismemberment
- 1298 killed as Malaysia Airlines passenger jet shot down over Ukraine
- 2[LIVE UPDATE] Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch forensic team arrives at crash site
- 3Researchers reach mysterious giant crater in Siberia
- 447 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 5Ukraine: Black boxes recovered from downed Malaysian airliner
Wires > News
- 07:37 CET Leaders of Taiwan, China offer condolences for 48 dead in plane…
- 07:33 CET China plans railway to India, Nepal borders by 2020
- 07:30 CET U.S. lifts ban on flights to Israel as Gaza toll tops 700
- 02:57 CET Venezuela’s world-famous ‘vertical slum’ may be demolished
- 23:23 CET Suicide bombs in Nigeria’s Kaduna kill 82, ex-leader Buhari…
- 23:21 CET India bids to reassert influence in Nepal with power pact
- 21:26 CET Chinese president ends regional tour in cradle of Cuban Revolution
- 19:28 CET Bulgaria’s prime minister resigns with bank crisis unresolved