The Arab League have backed US secretary of state John Kerry’s push to revive Israel-Palestinian peace talks at a meeting in Jordan.
At a press conference an optimistic Kerry reminded Israel of the rewards of a deal leading to the creation of Palestinian state on land seized in the 1967 Middle East war, an Arab league idea dating back to 2002.
“Israel needs to look hard at this initiative, which promises Israel peace with 22 Arab nations and 35 Muslim nations – a total of 57 nations that are standing and waiting for the possibility of making peace with Israel,” said Kerry.
On Wednesday Israel approved 732 new homes to be built in a West Bank settlement. Peace talks have remained deadlocked over Israel continued settlement construction on occupied land.
Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas is expected to meet other Palestinian leaders on Thursday to discuss whether or not to resume negotiations with Israel. Though the discussions were called ‘urgent’ there is no sign from either side that a breakthrough is on the horizon.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1International investigators reach MH17 crash site in Ukraine
- 2Ukrainian prime minister’s triumphant speech after resignation rejected
- 3#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 4Fresh Israeli shelling hits UN school injuring scores of children
- 5Rosetta the comet hunter arrives at its target
- 1Caught on camera – children drugged and beaten in Romanian kindergarten
- 2Scientists baffled by two new holes discovered in Siberia
- 3Russia defiant in face of tough EU-US sanctions
- 4#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 5Gaza: Deaths at Jebalya school after Israeli strike
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 3Eastern Ukrainians ‘hate Russian-led guerrillas’ — Arseniy Yatsenyuk
- 4Ukraine: ‘Disappointment’ at Yatsenyuk resignation
- 5Caught on camera – children drugged and beaten in Romanian kindergarten
Wires > News
- 05:15 CET Disappointment, uncertainty after India blocks WTO trade deal
- 03:57 CET Taiwan gas blast kills 22, injures 270, shoots flames high into…
- 02:42 CET Sudanese woman who had faced execution for conversion arrives in…
- 02:07 CET For wandering tankers with $300 million of Kurdish crude, end-game…
- 00:47 CET Sierra Leone declares emergency as Ebola death toll hits 729
- 00:01 CET Iraqi Kurds, battling Islamist threat, press Washington for arms
- 23:11 CET Game of thrones- Afghan leadership vacuum raises summit questions
- 20:00 CET Ukraine premier stays on, envoys agree on crash site route