Mexican authorities have arrested Miguel Angel Trevino, aka Z-40, the leader of the infamous Zetas drug cartel.
Mexican marines intercepted his pick-up truck close to the border with the US, following a month-long operation.
The Zetas, formed by army deserters, are believed to be responsible for some of the worst instances of gang related violence carried out in the country.
Eduardo Sanchez, a spokesperson for the Mexico’s Interior ministry, made the announcement: “This person has seven arrest orders issued by federal judges and is at the centre of 12 criminal cases. He is accused of organised crime, murder, torture, money laundering and importing specialist military firearms.”
Trevino has a reputation for extreme violence. “He’s the most sadistic of them,” US political scientist and Zetas expert George W. Grayson said. “He really gets off on inflicting diabolical pain on people.”
The Zetas are thought to be behind an arson attack on a Monterrey casino in 2011 that left 52 dead. The are also suspected of the murder and decapitation of hundreds of migrant workers.
At the same time the Mexican military said it had arrested two associates – a bodyguard and an accountant – and seized two million US dollars in cash.
Trevino’s capture follows a string of blows in 2012 against the Zetas, whose previous leader was killed by Mexican marines in a firefight in northern Mexico last October.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Israel: Hamas praises Jerusalem attack which killed baby girl
- 2Ottawa fatal shooting: Police admit they were ‘caught by surprise’
- 3Police search for possible suspects following attack on Canada’s parliament
- 4Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner
- 5Intruder sparks lockdown at the White House
- 1Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner
- 2Canada raises its terror threat following attack on soldiers
- 3Ottawa fatal shooting: Police admit they were ‘caught by surprise’
- 4Another battle for Ukraine as winter approaches amid gas row
- 5‘Criminal negligence’ blamed for death of Total boss Christophe de Margerie
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 3Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 4Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 5British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 6Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 7Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 8How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 9International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 10Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 11European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 12Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 13Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 14Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 15Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 16euronews speaks to Ban Ki-moon ahead of key UN and climate change talks | euronews, the global conversation
- 17All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 18US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
- 19euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 20Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 17:28 CET Canada’s Harper pledges tougher security laws after attack
- 17:21 CET Insight – Mario Draghi’s German problem
- 17:01 CET Ukrainian PM warns Russia may try to disrupt Sunday’s election
- 16:49 CET EU leaders seek climate deal, but divided over costs
- 15:29 CET U.S., allies stage 15 air strikes on Islamic State in Iraq, Syria…
- 14:56 CET China vows better rule of law, but no word of disgraced security…
- 14:40 CET Exclusive – Charred tanks in Ukraine point to Russian involvement
- 14:35 CET U.N. rights watchdog calls for open elections in Hong Kong