Mexican authorities have arrested Miguel Angel Trevino, aka Z-40, the leader of the infamous Zetas drug cartel.
Mexican marines intercepted his pick-up truck close to the border with the US, following a month-long operation.
The Zetas, formed by army deserters, are believed to be responsible for some of the worst instances of gang related violence carried out in the country.
Eduardo Sanchez, a spokesperson for the Mexico’s Interior ministry, made the announcement: “This person has seven arrest orders issued by federal judges and is at the centre of 12 criminal cases. He is accused of organised crime, murder, torture, money laundering and importing specialist military firearms.”
Trevino has a reputation for extreme violence. “He’s the most sadistic of them,” US political scientist and Zetas expert George W. Grayson said. “He really gets off on inflicting diabolical pain on people.”
The Zetas are thought to be behind an arson attack on a Monterrey casino in 2011 that left 52 dead. The are also suspected of the murder and decapitation of hundreds of migrant workers.
At the same time the Mexican military said it had arrested two associates – a bodyguard and an accountant – and seized two million US dollars in cash.
Trevino’s capture follows a string of blows in 2012 against the Zetas, whose previous leader was killed by Mexican marines in a firefight in northern Mexico last October.
- 1Iran sizzles in some of the hottest temperatures ever known to humankind
- 2Croatia celebrates 20th anniversary of ‘Operation Storm’
- 3Norwegian police investigate ‘bomb-like’ package at Oslo university
- 4India: more than 20 dead in double train derailment
- 5German state and judiciary square up over treason probe
- 1Spain heading for constitutional tension as Catalonia calls an early election
- 2Obama unveils US plan to cut carbon emissions
- 3Iran sizzles in some of the hottest temperatures ever known to humankind
- 4Ukrainians protest against a planned “buffer zone”
- 5Italy arrests Mafia suspects after cracking Cosa Nostra’s secret code words
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 10French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12Latest News Bulletin
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Dudamel’s gift of Beethoven to brotherly Bogota
- 20European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
Latest world news
Iran nuclear deal: Obama and Netanyahu make competing appeals to US Jews
Hiroshima 70 years on: Survivors remember horror of nuclear bomb
Missing MH370: analysis of wing part due to begin in France
Norwegian police investigate ‘bomb-like’ package at Oslo university
India: more than 20 dead in double train derailment
Wires > News
- 11:40 CET Iran’s President Rouhani to visit Rome – Italian ministry
- 11:32 CET China says has stopped construction in South China Sea
- 11:26 CET Syria says fight against Islamic State must include Damascus
- 11:20 CET Indonesia government aims to outlaw insulting president, sparks…
- 11:10 CET China, ASEAN agree to speed up consultations on South China Sea…
- 11:04 CET Turkish reporters face jail for publishing photo – media
- 10:41 CET Two Chinese ‘left behind’ children die in suspected murder
- 09:55 CET India floods derail trains, killing 21 people, as focus turns to…