Six of the world’s major powers hope to resume nuclear talks with Iran once the country’s president-elect takes over next month.
EU foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton earlier held meetings with diplomats from the US, Russia, China, France, Britain, and Germany in Brussels.
“We wait now for the team to be appointed by Iran, we very much hope that will be soon and we look forward to meeting them as soon as possible,” Ashton said in a video statement on Tuesday.
Incoming president Hassan Rohani, a self-styled moderate, is expected to appoint a new chief nuclear negotiator once he takes office on August 5.
Saeed Jalili, the current holder of the post, was appointed by President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad. It is a job once held by Johani himself between 2003 and 2005.
Western powers believe Iran wants the capacity to build an atomic weapon.
Tehran says its nuclear program is for peaceful purposes.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 3Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 4Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails? | euronews, world news
- 5English and Spanish among happiest languages | euronews, world news
- 6Exclusive: Tsipras promises meritocracy, transparency for Greece, urges Europe to put people first | euronews, world news
- 7European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 8Dramatic dashcam video captures Taiwan plane crash | euronews, world news
- 9International news | euronews, latest international news
- 10Data ‘mocks’ claims migrants try for Europe ‘expecting’ sea rescue | euronews, world news
- 11Watch: Ukraine MPs in fierce fist fight outside parliament | euronews, world news
- 12Live updates: follow the 2015 Oscars ceremony | euronews, world news
- 13Kosovo emptying out, hopes for independent future exhausted | euronews, world news
- 14Canada: Valentine’s Day mass shooting plot foiled say police | euronews, world news
- 15Implanted RFID chip controls office access for Stockholm workers | euronews, hi-tech
- 16‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold? | euronews, world news
- 17Barack Obama’s silly Buzzfeed video goes viral | euronews, world news
- 18euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 19Elastic road surface reduces motorway noise pollution | euronews, futuris
- 20‘Europe’s interests come first’, says new Greek government | euronews, world news