Six of the world’s major powers hope to resume nuclear talks with Iran once the country’s president-elect takes over next month.
EU foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton earlier held meetings with diplomats from the US, Russia, China, France, Britain, and Germany in Brussels.
“We wait now for the team to be appointed by Iran, we very much hope that will be soon and we look forward to meeting them as soon as possible,” Ashton said in a video statement on Tuesday.
Incoming president Hassan Rohani, a self-styled moderate, is expected to appoint a new chief nuclear negotiator once he takes office on August 5.
Saeed Jalili, the current holder of the post, was appointed by President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad. It is a job once held by Johani himself between 2003 and 2005.
Western powers believe Iran wants the capacity to build an atomic weapon.
Tehran says its nuclear program is for peaceful purposes.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians | euronews, world news
- 2Ellen MacArthur: making waves on a journey to a circular economy | euronews, the global conversation
- 3Air Algerie loses contact with plane from Ouagadougou to Algiers | euronews, world news
- 4Putin T-Shirts flying off the shelves at Moscow megastore | euronews, world news
- 5Malta opera star Joseph Calleja’s summer concert draws big crowd | euronews, le mag
- 6Moscow claims Ukrainian jet flew close to Malaysian airliner | euronews, world news
- 7Everything you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 8Massive Swedish forest fire is declared a national emergency | euronews, world news
- 9Hong Kong gets smart on mobility | euronews, urban visions
- 10Portugal hopes to become a pensioner’s paradise with zero tax offer | euronews, reporter
- 11Beyond the subconscious | euronews, futuris
- 12Eastern Ukrainians ‘hate Russian-led guerrillas’ — Arseniy Yatsenyuk | euronews, interview
- 13Iceland warns Europe’s airlines of possible volcanic eruption | euronews, world news
- 14Romania buys into bitcoin big time | euronews, corporate
- 15Poland wants compensation from the EU for Russian import ban | euronews, world news
- 16A robot that grows | euronews, futuris
- 17Man, 27, fails in suicide bid after tigers reject chance to eat him | euronews, world news
- 18EU’s Russia sanctions doing more harm than good says Hungary’s PM Orban | euronews, world news
- 19Turkey’s women have the last laugh | euronews, world news
- 20Greek farmers suffer in economic war between Russia and EU | euronews, economy