Six of the world’s major powers hope to resume nuclear talks with Iran once the country’s president-elect takes over next month.
EU foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton earlier held meetings with diplomats from the US, Russia, China, France, Britain, and Germany in Brussels.
“We wait now for the team to be appointed by Iran, we very much hope that will be soon and we look forward to meeting them as soon as possible,” Ashton said in a video statement on Tuesday.
Incoming president Hassan Rohani, a self-styled moderate, is expected to appoint a new chief nuclear negotiator once he takes office on August 5.
Saeed Jalili, the current holder of the post, was appointed by President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad. It is a job once held by Johani himself between 2003 and 2005.
Western powers believe Iran wants the capacity to build an atomic weapon.
Tehran says its nuclear program is for peaceful purposes.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Italy swamped by flash floods | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 6Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 7India PM Modi appoints Yoga minister | euronews, world news
- 8[Live] Rosetta’s Philae lands on comet 67P and enters the history books | euronews, world news
- 9Vladimir Putin most powerful man in the world – Forbes | euronews, world news
- 10European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 11International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 12Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 13Nadia Comaneci: gymnast of perfection and defector | euronews, the global conversation
- 14Putin plans to leave G20 talks early amid Ukraine pressure | euronews, world news
- 15Philippe Starck: ‘Words like longevity and legacy have become almost avant-garde’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 16Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released | euronews, world news
- 17US says ISIL makes $1 million-a-day selling oil – even to enemies | euronews, world news
- 18Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 19Syria: Islamic extremists pledge to press ahead with battle for Kobani | euronews, world news
- 20World news video | euronews the latest world news online | breaking world news video