13/07/13 12:56 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
French investigators into Friday’s train crash near Paris are suggesting that a defective points system caused the accident.
At a news conference railway managers from the state railway company SNCF said a metal bar linking the rails to the points had come loose.
The French Transport Minister Frédéric Cuvillier said emergency workers had found no new victims overnight, but more bad news could not be ruled out as teams tried to search overturned carriages.
He praised the train driver, whose immediate reaction in sounding the alarm he said had prevented another train from crashing into the wreckage.
At railway stations across France a minute’s silence has been held for the victims at Brétigny-sur-Orge, 25 kilometres south of Paris.
Six people are known to have died and dozens are seriously injured, with the condition of nine described as “absolutely urgent”.
The minister said the train heading for Limoges in central France was travelling at 137 kilometres an hour when its rear carriages derailed shortly after 5pm CET on Friday.
A passengers’ association has condemned what it called dilapidated railway equipment.
- 1The EU’s 27 leaders “unite” as they view the future minus the UK
- 2Russia reacts to the Brexit
- 3Black box confirms smoke on board doomed EgyptAir flight
- 4Nicola Sturgeon gets ‘sympathetic’ reception in Brussels over Brexit
- 5Turkey mourns as the first funeral takes place of a victim from the Istanbul airport attack
- 1Dozens are killed and wounded in multiple suicide bomb attacks on Istanbul’s Ataturk airport
- 2Italian actor Bud Spencer dies at 86
- 3Suspected ISIL bombers kill 36 and wound dozens at Istanbul airport
- 4Terror in Turkey: attack at Ataturk airport leaves 41 dead and scores injured
- 5Feisty Farage tells MEPs ‘You’re not laughing now’
Wires > News
- 13:54 CET Pakistan plans talks with Afghanistan, U.N. agency over refugees‘…
- 13:52 CET Unions reject French government amendments to labour law reform
- 13:50 CET Belgium transfers Paris attacks suspect to France
- 13:44 CET China issues rare rebuke in police brutality case
- 13:27 CET France’s Sarkozy overtakes rival Juppe in poll, eyes party…
- 13:21 CET Istanbul bombers were Russian, Uzbek, Kyrgyz nationals – Turkish…
- 12:37 CET Vietnam court sentences Australian woman, 73, to death on heroin…
- 12:15 CET Palestinian kills teen in Israeli settlement, then shot dead – army