13/07/13 12:56 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
French investigators into Friday’s train crash near Paris are suggesting that a defective points system caused the accident.
At a news conference railway managers from the state railway company SNCF said a metal bar linking the rails to the points had come loose.
The French Transport Minister Frédéric Cuvillier said emergency workers had found no new victims overnight, but more bad news could not be ruled out as teams tried to search overturned carriages.
He praised the train driver, whose immediate reaction in sounding the alarm he said had prevented another train from crashing into the wreckage.
At railway stations across France a minute’s silence has been held for the victims at Brétigny-sur-Orge, 25 kilometres south of Paris.
Six people are known to have died and dozens are seriously injured, with the condition of nine described as “absolutely urgent”.
The minister said the train heading for Limoges in central France was travelling at 137 kilometres an hour when its rear carriages derailed shortly after 5pm CET on Friday.
A passengers’ association has condemned what it called dilapidated railway equipment.
- 1Simplify MPs expenses to improve transparency, says campaigner
- 2Belgium gives everyone radiation protection pills
- 3Venezuela’s second city looted
- 4Berlin and Vienna pressure Rome to take responsibility for migrants
- 5A leading German politician says the country’s mosques should come under state control
Wires > News
- 12:53 CET Left-wing protesters clash with German police before right-wing…
- 12:51 CET Rescuers dig for trapped residents after Nairobi building collapse…
- 12:44 CET Italy merchant ship rescues 26 migrants off Libya, others feared…
- 12:36 CET Russia defends intercept of U.S. reconnaissance plane over Baltic
- 12:23 CET Bomb attack on Shi’ite pilgrims in Baghdad kills at least 19 -…
- 12:16 CET Muslim prayer hall set on fire on French island of Corsica
- 09:58 CET Thailand jails nine activists charged with sedition, computer…
- 09:13 CET China denies Hong Kong visit request by U.S. carrier group -…