Italy’s Matteo Trentin timed his sprint perfectly to clinch the 14th stage of the Tour de France on Saturday.
Team Sky’s Chris Froome bounced back from a disappointing 13th leg and retained his yellow jersey by staying well out of trouble over the 191-kilometer trek from Saint-Pourçain-sur-Sioule to Lyon.
With only 15km to go before the finish line, Sojasun’s Julien Simon sprinted clear of the peloton and despite a dominant display on the penultimate climb, the 27 year old’s hopes of becoming the first French stage winner of the race’s 100th edition were dashed as he was eventually caught by Michael Albasini and Jan Bakelants.
Trentin then stepped it up a gear to secure a hard fought win which sees the Omega Pharma-QuickStep team claim their fourth stage following victories by British sprinter Mark Cavendish and German Tony Martin.
The first three were followed 7 minutes, 17 seconds later by the mass of riders in the peloton including the likes of Froome, who still leads Bauke Mollema and Alberto Contador by more than two minutes in the overall standings.
Special report: 100 years of the Tour de France
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 3[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 4Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 5French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 6Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 7eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 8International news | euronews, latest international news
- 9Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 10Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 11Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 12ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 13International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 14Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 15Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 16French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 17Germany: Violence flares at anti-austerity protest against new ECB headquarters | euronews, world news
- 18European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 19[Live updates] France plane crash: damaged black box ‘can provide information’ | euronews, world news
- 20Fighting Boko Haram: Chad aims to ‘destroy’ militant group | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 02:13 CET Olympic course designer hopes golf wins in Rio Games
- 21:59 CET Burnley down but not out yet, says Dyche
- 21:29 CET Reading keeper’s error sees Arsenal reach FA Cup final
- 21:01 CET Marquez on pole in Argentina by hefty margin
- 20:49 CET Real’s Bale substituted with suspected calf injury
- 20:45 CET Chelsea open up 10-point lead with gritty United win
- 19:55 CET Pavlyuchenkova sparks Russia to 2-0 Fed Cup lead over Germany
- 19:32 CET Returning Hingis loses Fed Cup tie in courageous effort