Italy’s Matteo Trentin timed his sprint perfectly to clinch the 14th stage of the Tour de France on Saturday.
Team Sky’s Chris Froome bounced back from a disappointing 13th leg and retained his yellow jersey by staying well out of trouble over the 191-kilometer trek from Saint-Pourçain-sur-Sioule to Lyon.
With only 15km to go before the finish line, Sojasun’s Julien Simon sprinted clear of the peloton and despite a dominant display on the penultimate climb, the 27 year old’s hopes of becoming the first French stage winner of the race’s 100th edition were dashed as he was eventually caught by Michael Albasini and Jan Bakelants.
Trentin then stepped it up a gear to secure a hard fought win which sees the Omega Pharma-QuickStep team claim their fourth stage following victories by British sprinter Mark Cavendish and German Tony Martin.
The first three were followed 7 minutes, 17 seconds later by the mass of riders in the peloton including the likes of Froome, who still leads Bauke Mollema and Alberto Contador by more than two minutes in the overall standings.
Special report: 100 years of the Tour de France
- 1Champions League: Bayern Munich v Atletico Madrid preview
- 2Leicester City win Premier League after Tottenham draw with Chelsea
- 3Ajax and PSV in final-day duel for Dutch title
- 4Champions League preview: Atletico Madrid v Bayern Munich
- 5Woods misses Wells Fargo, says ‘no idea’ about tournament return
- 1Champions League preview: Atletico Madrid v Bayern Munich
- 2Champions League: Bayern Munich v Atletico Madrid preview
- 3Preview Champions League: Manchester City v Real Madrid
- 4Colombia’s Nairo Quintana bumped up on podium in Tour de Romandie
- 5The world’s greatest goalscorer – remembering Hungary’s Ferenc Puskas
Wires > Sport
- 20:42 CET Ronaldo fit but Benzema and Casemiro out against City – Zidane
- 19:32 CET Murray sets sights on record fifth Queen’s Club title
- 19:25 CET WADA suspends Africa’s only doping test centre during upgrade
- 18:29 CET Fellaini and Huth charged with violent conduct by FA
- 18:09 CET Rio’s slum hostels offer alternative Olympic housing
- 18:00 CET French federation headquarter and president home’s searched
- 17:55 CET Russia’s Gazovik Orenburg eye Leicester-style success after…
- 17:14 CET Qatar testing turf able to survive desert sun for 2022 World Cup