Italy’s Matteo Trentin timed his sprint perfectly to clinch the 14th stage of the Tour de France on Saturday.
Team Sky’s Chris Froome bounced back from a disappointing 13th leg and retained his yellow jersey by staying well out of trouble over the 191-kilometer trek from Saint-Pourçain-sur-Sioule to Lyon.
With only 15km to go before the finish line, Sojasun’s Julien Simon sprinted clear of the peloton and despite a dominant display on the penultimate climb, the 27 year old’s hopes of becoming the first French stage winner of the race’s 100th edition were dashed as he was eventually caught by Michael Albasini and Jan Bakelants.
Trentin then stepped it up a gear to secure a hard fought win which sees the Omega Pharma-QuickStep team claim their fourth stage following victories by British sprinter Mark Cavendish and German Tony Martin.
The first three were followed 7 minutes, 17 seconds later by the mass of riders in the peloton including the likes of Froome, who still leads Bauke Mollema and Alberto Contador by more than two minutes in the overall standings.
Special report: 100 years of the Tour de France
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Podemos: Spanish indignation in Brussels’ corridors of power | euronews, reporter
- 2Watch: Angry mob throw Ukraine MP into rubbish bin | euronews, world news
- 3Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 4New car offers freedom for disabled drivers | euronews, hi-tech
- 5Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 6Israel announces it will seize 400 acres in West Bank | euronews, world news
- 73D printing: a driving force in design and engineering | euronews, hi-tech
- 8Rise of the machines | euronews, futuris
- 9Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up | euronews, world news
- 10Young Yazidi girl escapes Islamic State kidnappers | euronews, world news
- 11Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 12Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 13Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 14#Indyref Live: Scotland votes on independence from UK | euronews, world news
- 15Thousands ‘evade’ Ebola lockdown in Sierra Leone | euronews, world news
- 16British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 17Iceland puts on a show as two of its volcanoes spew out lava | euronews, world news
- 18The business benefits of EU chemical regulation | euronews, business planet
- 19Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 20Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 00:13 CET Holders Real scrape past Ludogorets 2-1 in Sofia
- 00:12 CET Arsenal demolish Galatasaray with Welbeck treble
- 23:50 CET Basel stun sloppy Liverpool to claim another English scalp
- 23:27 CET Atletico talisman Arda sinks Juventus
- 23:10 CET Rio 2016 progress impressive says IOC in change of tone
- 23:08 CET Ramos double drives Dortmund to 3-0 win over Anderlecht
- 22:59 CET Rosenberg double gives Malmo 2-0 win over Olympiakos
- 22:57 CET Leverkusen ease past Benfica 3-1 to bounce back