Italy’s Matteo Trentin timed his sprint perfectly to clinch the 14th stage of the Tour de France on Saturday.
Team Sky’s Chris Froome bounced back from a disappointing 13th leg and retained his yellow jersey by staying well out of trouble over the 191-kilometer trek from Saint-Pourçain-sur-Sioule to Lyon.
With only 15km to go before the finish line, Sojasun’s Julien Simon sprinted clear of the peloton and despite a dominant display on the penultimate climb, the 27 year old’s hopes of becoming the first French stage winner of the race’s 100th edition were dashed as he was eventually caught by Michael Albasini and Jan Bakelants.
Trentin then stepped it up a gear to secure a hard fought win which sees the Omega Pharma-QuickStep team claim their fourth stage following victories by British sprinter Mark Cavendish and German Tony Martin.
The first three were followed 7 minutes, 17 seconds later by the mass of riders in the peloton including the likes of Froome, who still leads Bauke Mollema and Alberto Contador by more than two minutes in the overall standings.
Special report: 100 years of the Tour de France
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 3Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia | euronews, world news
- 4Le Pen: I admire ‘cool head’ Putin’s resistance to West’s new Cold War | euronews, interview
- 5McCain blasts Europe’s approach to Ukraine conflict ‘a joke’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 6Which countries in Europe cause the most air pollution damage? | euronews, world news
- 7Moldova pro-EU parties take narrow lead in elections | euronews, world news
- 8Grenoble: Europe’s first ad-free city | euronews, world news
- 9NATO joins search for ‘Russian submarine’ off Scottish coast | euronews, world news
- 10European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 11Obama’s ‘risky’ immigration gamble | euronews, world news
- 12Ukraine reports accident at Zaporizhzhya nuclear power plant | euronews, world news
- 13Crude awakening: Romania’s Black Sea oil and gas finds fuel Europe’s energy hopes | euronews, reporter
- 14Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania | euronews, world news
- 15The American Century comes to an end as China becomes the world’s largest economy | euronews, economy
- 16European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 17International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 18Belgium’s former queen Fabiola dies at 86 | euronews, world news
- 19Germans demand honour for Turkish woman beaten to death | euronews, world news
- 20Chechen ‘death’ unit fighting with rebels in eastern Ukraine | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 00:06 CET Kenya’s marathon queen Jeptoo fails second doping test
- 22:27 CET Hughes tragedy overshadows eventful year
- 22:08 CET U.S. swimmer Phelps sentenced to 18 months probation for drunken…
- 20:54 CET F1 showed its best and worst in 2014
- 20:43 CET ‘Celtic Tiger’ McIlroy emerges dominant in 2014
- 20:38 CET Billion dollar Sochi Games a sporting success
- 20:31 CET Five talking points for sports in 2014
- 20:29 CET Germany triumphant, Brazil eclipsed in dramatic year