Italy’s Matteo Trentin timed his sprint perfectly to clinch the 14th stage of the Tour de France on Saturday.
Team Sky’s Chris Froome bounced back from a disappointing 13th leg and retained his yellow jersey by staying well out of trouble over the 191-kilometer trek from Saint-Pourçain-sur-Sioule to Lyon.
With only 15km to go before the finish line, Sojasun’s Julien Simon sprinted clear of the peloton and despite a dominant display on the penultimate climb, the 27 year old’s hopes of becoming the first French stage winner of the race’s 100th edition were dashed as he was eventually caught by Michael Albasini and Jan Bakelants.
Trentin then stepped it up a gear to secure a hard fought win which sees the Omega Pharma-QuickStep team claim their fourth stage following victories by British sprinter Mark Cavendish and German Tony Martin.
The first three were followed 7 minutes, 17 seconds later by the mass of riders in the peloton including the likes of Froome, who still leads Bauke Mollema and Alberto Contador by more than two minutes in the overall standings.
Special report: 100 years of the Tour de France
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 6Why World Elephant Day matters
- 7Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 8Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 9UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 10Latest News Bulletin
- 11Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 17As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 18International news | euronews, latest international news
- 19Artist pays tribute to Aylan Kurdi and Good Samaritan
- 20European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
Euro 2016: Germany beat Poland to go top of Group D
Vuelta: Oliveira solos to stage 13 victory
Iceland beat the Netherlands to close in on first major tournament appearance
Judge overturns Brady’s four-game ‘deflategate’ suspension
Iceland deal major blow to the Netherlands’ Euro 2016 bid
Wires > Sport
- 12:06 CET Hamilton stunned by how far McLaren have fallen
- 09:00 CET Messi and Aguero strike braces as Argentina thump Bolivia
- 08:43 CET Nadal falls in marathon U.S. Open match to Fognini
- 07:26 CET Eagles match no World Cup audition for Wallabies hopefuls
- 04:41 CET Canada looking to break 2015 win drought
- 04:39 CET Italy old boys under pressure to perform
- 04:34 CET Proven World Cup pedigree boosts France
- 04:31 CET Deep-chilled Georgians strive to reach next level