13/07/13 15:45 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
At least 18 people were killed when a lorry collided with a bus in a Moscow suburb on Saturday. Another 25 people were injured, many of whom are in hospital with serious injuries, say Russian authorities.
Several other vehicles were caught up in the accident near Oznobishino, about 40 kilometres south of the city centre.
A video filmed from a passing car appears to show the bus being struck from the side by another vehicle.
Police believe the lorry, which was carrying gravel, failed to give way and turned onto the main road. They say it ploughed into the bus which is said to have had around 50 people on board.
Officials say the truck driver had a history of causing accidents, being responsible for at least six.
Russia has one of the worst road safety records in the world, with 28,000 deaths recorded in 2012.
- 1Hero’s welcome for Ukraine pilot Nadiya Savchenko after Russia prisoner swap
- 2G7 leaders visit Japanese holy shrine ahead of summit
- 3Germany: #Cutesolidarity response to Kinder chocolate controversy
- 4In the EU ‘one in three deaths of under-75s is avoidable,’ says Eurostat
- 5Germany’s carrot and stick approach to refugee integration
- 1The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 2Turkey warns EU migrant deal could collapse if visa-waiver isn’t speeded up
- 3Eurozone ministers agree “breakthrough” deal with Greece
- 4More fuel frustration as French pickets refuse to back down
- 5Ukrainian pilot Savchenko back in Kyiv after 2 years in Russian jail
- 1EgyptAir crash: airline says Flight MS804 wreckage found
- 2The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 3Venezuela economy fractured with shortages of essentials across the country
- 4Crimean Tatars look for Eurovision boost on day of national tragedy
- 5Emergency response: inside Ecuador’s disaster zones
Wires > News
- 12:30 CET Japan’s Abe points to 2008 crisis as G7 leaders debate global risk
- 12:21 CET Kremlin – Putin won’t meet Elton John in Moscow this month
- 12:10 CET Iran’s Khamenei calls for vigilance against West’s ‘soft war’ -…
- 12:06 CET In dig at U.S., China says all U.S. arms embargoes should go
- 11:57 CET Kremlin – Savchenko’s release won’t accelerate warming in…
- 11:56 CET Australian family facing deportation underlines UK govt…
- 11:37 CET Niger Delta militant attack shuts down Chevron facility – company…
- 11:11 CET French union leads new anti-reform protests, seeks to maintain…