Tens of thousands of people gathered at a memorial ceremony in Srebrenica for the 8,000 Bosnian Muslims killed by Serb forces in July 1995.
A total of 409 newly-identified victims were also laid to rest. Their remains were dug from pits and DNA analysis was used to identify them.
Preparing to bury her two sons, Ramiza Siljkovic explained: “They called us saying that just a few bones had been found. They asked us if we’d like them to be buried and we said yes. I want to do at least something for them while I’m still alive.”
Sanela Slihovic, whose brother died in the massacre, said: “On the one hand, it’s easier when we know where they are and we have a place to come to, but on the other hand this is so difficult. But the heart has to stay strong and endure what it has to.”
Bosnian Serb leader Radovan Karadzic and military chief Ratko Mladic have been accused of orchestrating the killings, which was Europe’s worst massacre since World War II. Both are currently on trial at the International War Crimes Tribunal.
Genocide charge reinstated
On Thursday Karadzic was told he must stand trial on two counts of genocide.
Appeals judges in The Hague reinstated one count that had been struck down.
The ruling means Karadzic must face charges of masterminding the genocide of Bosnian Croats and Muslims across the territory of multi-ethnic Bosnia during the 1992-1995 war that cost 100,000 lives.
That is in addition to the charge related to the Srebrenica massacre.
Get a different perspective
Every story can be told in many ways: see the perspectives from Euronews journalists in our other language teams.