A wail of police sirens amid tightened security outside the federal court in Boston announced the arrival of Dzhokhar Tsarnaev the man accused of the Boston Marathon bombings.
Appearing in court for the first time and under the gaze of victims Tsarnaev pleaded not guilty to all charges.
The 19-year-old spoke clearly answering seven times he was, “not guilty” and occasionally looked back at the gallery from where survivors and victims relatives were watching.
Tsarnaev was charged last month with killing three people and shooting dead a university police officer. His elder brother died in a gun battle after the bombings.
“Everyone wants to know why. Why, why would someone do something like this. You know to hurt so many innocent people and their lives have
changed forever. People lost limbs and it is just a terrible tragedy,” said one woman while another added: “He has already been convicted by the media and the public opinion. There is too much bad stuff that’s been said about him, so instead of people actually looking into him as a person, he is just a terrorist that hurt a bunch of people and that’s all people hear.”
The bombs which were homemade – pressure cookers filled with explosives, nails and ball bearings exploded at the finish line of the annual race on April 15. It was the worst mass-casualty attack on US soil since 9/11. As well as killing three people the attack injured more than 260.The accused could face the death penalty if convicted.