08/07/13 02:35 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
The Syrian city of Homs is said to be facing a ferocious ground and air onslaught by Hezbollah-backed troops and militia loyal to President Bashar al.Assad.
With Ramadan about to begin, the new president of the opposition Syrian National Coalition Ahmad Jarba has offered a truce for the besieged city during the Muslim holy month.
Meanwhile according to Syrian state television the authorities have discovered numerous barrels of dangerous chemicals on a farm in Banias. The report claimed the farm was being used by rebel fighters.
And the Syrian Army has uncovered a tunnel near an electric power station on the outskirts of Damascus.
Regime troops claim to have followed the 500m pathway right back a to a previously secret rebel stronghold from where the opposition fighters had been able to launch attacks on the capital.
Latest world news
Iran election: ‘Victory’ for allies of reformist Rouhani
Trump jokes about protest in California
Air strikes and shelling cause more deaths in Aleppo
Kenya burns over a hundred tons of elephant tusks and calls for a worldwide ban on ivory sales
Norwegian helicopter crash victims all presumed dead
Wires > News
- 10:38 CET Bomb in Baghdad suburb kills at least 13 – police sources
- 09:58 CET Thailand jails nine activists charged with sedition, computer…
- 09:13 CET China denies Hong Kong visit request by U.S. carrier group -…
- 01:51 CET Oil rig helicopter crashes off Norway coast, 13 presumed dead
- 00:44 CET Six-storey building collapses as floods hit Kenyan capital, three…
- 00:10 CET Britain praises Cuba’s Castro for embracing realities of modernity
- 23:29 CET ‘Monstrous’ violence in Syria as government excludes Aleppo from…
- 23:12 CET Russian fighter did barrel roll over U.S. reconnaissance plane -…