06/07/13 06:06 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Venezuela’s president says he will offer asylum to US intelligence leaker Edward Snowden.
The fugitive, former spy agency contractor is thought to be holed up in a transit lounge at a Moscow airport.
Nicolas Maduro says his country would give Snowden the chance to “live away from the imperial North American persecution.”
Venezuelan ally Nicaragua is also hinting that it would be willing to help. President Daniel Ortega says his country could accept a bid “if circumstances permit.” He has not elaborated.
It all comes after leftist South American leaders gathered to denounce the rerouting of Bolivian President Evo Morales’ plane over Europe.
It is alleged there were suspicions that Snowden could be onboard.
Who will grant Snowden asylum?
Austria – NO Says it can only grant asylum if request is made when on Austrian territory
Bolivia – POSSIBLY Bolivia say it did not receive Snowden’s application but president said he would consider granting him asylum.
Brazil – NO Officials have announced they will not grant his request, they will leave it unanswered.
China – ? Officials say they have no information on Snowden’s request
Cuba – ?
Ecuador – NO The president has said Ecuador is not considering the request, as it was made outside Ecuadorean territory
Finland – NO Says it can only grant asylum if request is made when on Finnish territory
France – NO France has officially rejected Snowden’s request.
Germany – NO After studying the “legal viability” of the request they rejected the application
Iceland – ?
India – NO India’s foreign ministry says it “sees no reason to accept” Snowden’s request
Italy – NO Italy has officially rejected Snowden’s request.
Ireland – NO Says legally impossible as Snowden is not on Irish territory
Netherlands – UNLIKELY. Says it can only grant asylum if request is made when on Dutch territory
Nicaragua – POSSIBLY. President Daniel Ortega says his country could accept a bid “if circumstances permit.”
Norway UNLIKELY. Says it can only grant asylum if request is made when on Norwegian territory
Poland – NO Request rejected
Russia – NO Snowden withdrew the request himself
Spain – NO Says legally impossible as Snowden is not on Spanish territory
Switzerland – UNLIKELY. Says it has not yet received an asylum request and that it can only grant asylum if request is made on Swiss territory.
Venezuela – POSSIBLY. President Maduro says Snowden “needs the world’s protection:”
- 1Lavrov hits Turkey with more penalties, doubts commitment to war on “secret allies” ISIL
- 2Belgian police release new details about on-the-run fifth Paris suspect
- 3Turkey detains journalists who allege army lorries carried weapons for ISIL
- 4Still no power in Crimea as protesters block repairs to pylons
- 5Russian marine Alexander Pozynich buried
- 1Turkey dismisses Russia’s economic threats over downing of fighter jet
- 2Putin and Hollande agree on greater cooperation over Syrian air strikes
- 3Lavrov hits Turkey with more penalties, doubts commitment to war on “secret allies” ISIL
- 4Russia hits Turkey with economic sanctions, warns more could follow
- 5Italian police seize hundreds of rifles bound for Belgium
- 1Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 2Russia confirms Turks have shot down one of its planes on Syrian border
- 3Hasna Aitboulahcen did not detonate a suicide vest during the St. Denis shoot out
- 4Paris attacker Abdelhamid Abaaoud ‘returned to scene of shootings’
- 5Five questions on Russia’s air strikes in Syria
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 7latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 8world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 9European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 10New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 11Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 12Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 13International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 14‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 15Latest sport news
- 16‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 17Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18Romanians’ cold revolt against corruption
- 19Egypt armed forces chief Abdul Fattah al-Sisi – a man of destiny
- 20No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
Latest world news
Mali: at least 3 dead, 4 seriously injured in attack on UN base in Kidal
Police name Planned Parenthood shooting suspect
Mali: at least 3 dead in attack on UN peacekeepers base in Kidal
Pope Francis praises Ugandan authorities for taking in refugees
Climate change campaigners pile pressure on world leaders ahead of Paris conference
Wires > News
- 11:54 CET Insight: Gaffer tape and 500 euros – running guns to the heart of…
- 11:46 CET Detained journalists urge EU not to compromise with Turkey over…
- 11:31 CET Top Kurdish lawyer killed in clashes in southeast Turkey
- 11:27 CET Turkish foreign ministry advises against all non-urgent travel to…
- 11:23 CET Philippines shopping for arms to beef up maritime security
- 11:21 CET In search for Egypt’s lost Queen Nefertiti, focus turns to King…
- 11:17 CET Macedonian army starts building fence on Greek border
- 11:11 CET Europe needs U.S.-style bureau to tackle guns: experts