06/07/13 02:15 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Portugal’s prime minister, Pedro Passos Coelho, has reached a deal with his junior coalition partner, over a rift that has been threatening the country’s bailout programme.
A recent resignation request by Paulo Portas, who heads up the rightist CDS-PP party, unleashed a political crisis. He disagreed with the choice of a new finance minister, after the previous one quit.
It is unclear exactly what kind of deal has now been struck. A further meeting is penciled in for Sunday – and any agreement will have to be cleared by Portugal’s president.
There have been concerns the political uncertainty could upset Lisbon’s progress on its 78 billion euro bailout programme.
- 1The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 2EgyptAir crash: suggestions of explosion on board ‘mere assumptions’ – official
- 3A handshake, a kiss and a hug at historic meeting of Catholic and Muslim leaders
- 4Brazil in crisis after leaked tape forces out interim President’s ally
- 5French union blockades spark petrol shortages
- 1EgyptAir crash: airline says Flight MS804 wreckage found
- 2Venezuela economy fractured with shortages of essentials across the country
- 3The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 4Crimean Tatars look for Eurovision boost on day of national tragedy
- 5Kazakh police break up anti-government protests
Latest world news
Special elite police units to help guard Tour de France
Rise of the far-right in Europe after the result of the Austrian presidential election
France blockades hit ‘all’ oil refineries as labour dispute hardens
Iraqi offensive in Fallujah causing concern over civilian safety, says UN
EgyptAir crash: suggestions of explosion on board ‘mere assumptions’ – official
Wires > News
- 17:09 CET Brazil’s Temer seeks constitutional reform to curb public spending
- 17:04 CET Greece starts moving migrants from squalid border camp
- 16:48 CET New Turkish cabinet reflects Erdogan’s growing power
- 16:32 CET Pakistan says can’t confirm Taliban leader killed in U.S. drone…
- 16:22 CET Iraq forces keep up shelling of Falluja, U.N. concern mounts for…
- 16:10 CET Japan, Canada share ‘serious concerns’ on South China Sea – PM Abe
- 16:03 CET Afghanistan says Taliban shadow governor in Helmand killed
- 15:59 CET Father of Lebanese soldier killed by Nusra Front admits revenge…