Around forty supporters of deposed president Mohamed Mursi have been injured by gunfire from Egyptian soldiers.
The shooting occurred outside a government building in the city of El Arish in the northern peninsula of Sinai.
They had gathered outside the building for prayers and to express their dissatisfaction at the removal of Mursi from power.
Sinai’s has become a launchpad for Islamist attacks into Israel as Egyptian security forces have struggled to hold on to control of the region.
As a result of the recent unrest, the border crossing at Rafa has been closed by the Egyptian military.
Meanwhile across the region five policemen, a soldier and a Coptic Christian priest have all been killed in separate shootings.
- 1Leopard enters Indian school, mauls six people
- 2Japanese volcano erupts on nuclear power station island
- 3Aleppo: Germany and Turkey come up with a 10-point action plan
- 4Pegida fails to ignite as Europe-wide anti-Muslim protests fizzle
- 5One of world’s biggest container ships stranded on German river
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Most Istanbul blast victims ‘were German’, says Turkey
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 6Partnering to grow Europe
- 7Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 8Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 9Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 11Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 12‘National’ funeral for Celine Dion’s husband ‘over the top’
- 13Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 14Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 15Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 16latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 18Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 19International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 20account : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
Latest world news
North Korea plutonium production resumed – US intelligence chief
Trump and Sanders win New Hampshire Primary
US election: Expect the unexpected in the New Hampshire Primary
Syria: UN warns of siege and starvation in Aleppo
Syria: Tens of thousands fleeing Aleppo remain stranded at Turkey border
Wires > News
- 03:25 CET Trump, Sanders win U.S. presidential contests in New Hampshire
- 02:30 CET Magnitude 6.3 quake hits central Chile, no major damage seen
- 02:12 CET Report card on aboriginal Australians paints bleak picture
- 01:35 CET U.N. fears for hundreds of thousands if Syria troops encircle…
- 01:19 CET Forensic team finds remains in Mexico dump, but no sign of 43…
- 00:37 CET White House – disputes over South China Sea must not involve…
- 00:19 CET French plan advances to strip passports from those convicted of…
- 23:39 CET Iraq’s troubled finances slow efforts to rebuild Ramadi