Around forty supporters of deposed president Mohamed Mursi have been injured by gunfire from Egyptian soldiers.
The shooting occurred outside a government building in the city of El Arish in the northern peninsula of Sinai.
They had gathered outside the building for prayers and to express their dissatisfaction at the removal of Mursi from power.
Sinai’s has become a launchpad for Islamist attacks into Israel as Egyptian security forces have struggled to hold on to control of the region.
As a result of the recent unrest, the border crossing at Rafa has been closed by the Egyptian military.
Meanwhile across the region five policemen, a soldier and a Coptic Christian priest have all been killed in separate shootings.
Latest world news
Iran election: ‘Victory’ for allies of reformist Rouhani
Trump jokes about protest in California
Air strikes and shelling cause more deaths in Aleppo
A leading German politician says the country’s mosques should come under state control
Will Michel Platini be back in charge for Euro 2016?
Wires > News
- 01:51 CET Oil rig helicopter crashes off Norway coast, 13 presumed dead
- 00:44 CET Six-storey building collapses as floods hit Kenyan capital, three…
- 00:10 CET Britain praises Cuba’s Castro for embracing realities of modernity
- 23:29 CET ‘Monstrous’ violence in Syria as government excludes Aleppo from…
- 23:12 CET Russian fighter did barrel roll over U.S. reconnaissance plane -…
- 21:30 CET China denies Hong Kong visit request by U.S. carrier group -…
- 21:14 CET Iran moderates eye more gains in run-off parliamentary election
- 20:14 CET Lavrov, Kerry discuss ways to strengthen Syria ceasefire – Russian…