The Yellow Sea in China is now green after the largest ever algal bloom ever recorded lapped ashore in the city of Qingdao.
The living carpet has been a annual visitor to these shores for the past six summers and is linked to agricultural and industrial pollution.
“I came to the coast planning to have a dip, but looking at things I dare not go in,” said a dismayed holidaymaker.
The explosion of algae points to a change in the ecosystem as a result of human activity, according to scientists.
The algae blocks sunlight from reaching the ocean and steals oxygen from the waters.
- 1Poland ‘has located’ buried Nazi treasure train
- 2Destination northern Europe: thousands make daily ‘journey of death’
- 3Disruption continues after travellers end French motorway blockade
- 4Martin Schulz attacks ‘cynical’ EU governments over migrants crisis
- 5Palestinian women and children force Israeli soldier to release boy
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 6Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 7Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 8Latest News Bulletin
- 9Why World Elephant Day matters
- 10International news | euronews, latest international news
- 11UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 17As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 18Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
Wires > News
- 03:01 CET Obama says world must reach climate deal in Paris ‘while we still…
- 02:52 CET Suspect in Houston-area shooting of deputy appears in court
- 02:02 CET IMF approves second disbursement to Ghana
- 01:17 CET Palestinians, Israeli soldier wounded during West Bank raid
- 23:04 CET Analysis – Japan nuclear power outlook bleak despite first reactor…
- 23:00 CET Car bomb damages Italy’s ENI joint venture office in Libyan capital
- 22:20 CET Syrian court acquits free-speech campaigner
- 22:15 CET Greek banks must be recapitalised before capital controls go -…