Mexico’s Popocatepetl volcano has erupted in dramatic fashion, sending plumes of ash-filled smoke into the air.
A 12 kilometre safety radius around the volcano has been put in place .
But Popocatepetl is also having a major disruptive affect on air travel.
At least six US airlines have cancelled flights out of Mexico City and Toluca airports affecting routes as far afield as Dallas to Chicago.
Passengers have no alternative but to sit it out and wait:
“We were told there won’t be any flights until tomorrow. My brother-in-law has gone to find out what is happening. I’m waiting for him as we are now being told there won’t be any flights until Saturday,” said one stranded passenger.
Back in 2010 an Icelandic volcanic cloud caused the largest air-traffic shut-down since World War II leaving millions of passengers stranded for days.
- 1‘Human error responsible’ for deadly Bad Aibling train crash – sources
- 2Two commuter trains collide head-on in Germany
- 3Leopard enters Indian school, mauls six people
- 4Refugees in Hungary offered classes to speed integration
- 5New migrant tragedy claims 27 lives as Greece grapples with refugee crisis
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 4Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 5Partnering to grow Europe
- 6Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 7Turkey: Explosion hits Istanbul’s main tourist district
- 8Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 9Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 10Macedonian Postcards: The Mavrovo National Park
- 11Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 12Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 13Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 14Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 15Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 16latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 18Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 19Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 20International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
Wires > News
- 09:58 CET Court tags a month onto former Israeli PM Olmert’s 18-month prison…
- 09:48 CET Iran to upgrade missiles, get Russian defence system – minister
- 09:47 CET Turkey detains 34 people with explosives, suicide vests at Syrian…
- 09:45 CET Exclusive – U.S., India consider joint patrols in South China Sea…
- 09:42 CET Kremlin critic Mikhail Kasyanov says life threatened in Moscow…
- 09:38 CET Tajiks to vote in ‘president-for-life’ referendum
- 09:37 CET Rapidly ageing Thailand tells businesses to hire more elderly
- 09:11 CET Indonesian president may include new parties in next cabinet…