05/07/13 16:32 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
According to eyewitnesses at least three protesters have been killed outside the Republican Guard barracks in Cairo, where deposed President Mohammed Mursi is being held.
Reportedly troops shot into the air and then at Mursi supporters as crowds grew and pressed forward.
However, a spokesman for the army said only blank rounds and teargas had been fired. It was unclear whether security forces units other than army troops were also present.
A journalist with the Reuters news agency who was on the scene reported seeing at least eight demonstrators who had been hit by shotgun pellets.
The incident occured as hundreds of members of the Muslim Brotherhood movement approached the military cordon.
They were taking part what the Brotherhood has called a “Friday of Rage” to protest against Mursi’s ouster. It is calling for the immediate release of those held by the miltary.
Away from the capital, there were clashes reported between troops and Mursi supporters in three cities on Friday – El-Arish in North Sinai and Suez and Ismailia on the Suez Canal.
Protesters tried to enter government buildings in all three towns according to eyewitnesses. Some threw rocks and troops responded by shooting in the air and firing teargas into the crowds, security sources said.
Thousands of Islamists took to the streets in the cities of Alexandria and Assiut to join protests, opposing a planned interim government which is backed by their liberal opponents.
Egypt’s liberal coalition issued an “urgent call” for its supporters to take to the streets in response to the Islamist protests.
Latest: Egypt Muslim Brotherhood leader Mohamed Badie appears on stage at islamist rally in Cairo after reports he was arrested
Photo: MB supreme leader Badie speaks to supporters at pro-Morsi rally pic.twitter.com/Wb92vZzyqe— Ahmed Al Omran (@ahmed) July 5, 2013
- 1Another border fence in Europe ahead of crucial migration summit
- 2All eyes on King Tut’s tomb in search for ancient Egypt’s lost Queen Nefertiti
- 3COP21: climate change provokes protests of all shapes and sizes
- 4Tension in Turkey after pro-Kurdish lawyer is shot dead
- 5Turkey warns Russia not to ‘play with fire’ over downing of fighter jet
- 1Turkey dismisses Russia’s economic threats over downing of fighter jet
- 2Putin and Hollande agree on greater cooperation over Syrian air strikes
- 3Lavrov hits Turkey with more penalties, doubts commitment to war on “secret allies” ISIL
- 4Russia hits Turkey with economic sanctions, warns more could follow
- 5Italian police seize hundreds of rifles bound for Belgium
- 1Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 2Russia confirms Turks have shot down one of its planes on Syrian border
- 3Hasna Aitboulahcen did not detonate a suicide vest during the St. Denis shoot out
- 4Paris attacker Abdelhamid Abaaoud ‘returned to scene of shootings’
- 5Five questions on Russia’s air strikes in Syria
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 7world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 10latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 11Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 14New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 15‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 16No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
- 17Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 19Latest News Bulletin
- 20Terrorist threat on Europe’s rail network, according to German tabloid
Latest world news
Tension in Turkey after pro-Kurdish lawyer is shot dead
All eyes on King Tut’s tomb in search for ancient Egypt’s lost Queen Nefertiti
Mali: rocket attack on Kidal UN base kills 3, injures 20
COP21: climate change provokes protests of all shapes and sizes
Another border fence in Europe ahead of crucial migration summit
Wires > News
- 01:06 CET EU hopes for Turkish help to slow migrants at summit
- 22:41 CET Suspect in Colorado clinic shooting had past brushes with the law
- 22:12 CET Greek PM fails to get opposition backing on pension reform
- 22:00 CET Top Kurdish lawyer shot dead in southeast Turkey
- 21:21 CET Putin, citing national security, signs Turkey sanctions decree
- 20:01 CET Thousands of Israeli Arabs protest ban on Islamist group
- 19:59 CET Gunmen kill four Egypt security personnel south of Cairo – sources
- 18:38 CET Elite Kosovo police arrest opposition leader over tear gas