05/07/13 14:06 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
There has been more heavy bombing in the city of Homs in Syria. Amateur videos put online by activists appear to show government shelling of rebel held areas.
Rebels say that Assad’s forces have been bombarding Homs for five straight days and there are heavy clashes on the ground.
The Syrian National Coalition has appealed to the United Nations and Western countries “to intervene immediately’‘ and provide food and medicine, saying the situation is deteriorating rapidly.
Syrian National Coalition member, Ahmed Marwan, said: “The regime has been bombing Homs for a few days and we really are scared for people there. The civilians there receive a lot of rockets every day, we are not sure about that, we think chemical weapons have been used. So really, we are very concerned about it.”
The appeal comes as Syrian opposition figures meet in Istanbul to elect a new leadership.The opposition say the fall of Homs to regime forces could mean the end of any hope of a political solution to the war.
Latest world news
Kenya burns huge ivory stockpile calling for ban on trade
Hundreds arrested as German anti-immigrant AfD party congress begins
Iraq: al-Sadr supporters storm Baghdad Green Zone and parliament
Sweden celebrates 70th birthday of King Carl XVI Gustaf
Iraq: al Sadr supporters storm Green Zone and parliament
Wires > News
- 21:45 CET Canada eager to consider investing in new Montreal rail network -…
- 20:58 CET Blacklisted oil tanker returns to Libya’s Zawiya port
- 20:11 CET Saudi hands over Houthi prisoners as Yemen peace efforts inch…
- 19:49 CET Obama takes final bow at star-studded Washington dinner
- 19:46 CET Aleppo bombed as Syrian army begins ‘calm’ plan elsewhere
- 19:18 CET Egypt puts on trial 237 activists for protests against Sisi -…
- 19:05 CET Germany’s Merkel under attack at anti-immigration rally marred by…
- 17:36 CET Serbian opposition rallies in Belgrade demanding election recount