There has been more heavy bombing in the city of Homs in Syria. Amateur videos put online by activists appear to show government shelling of rebel held areas.
Rebels say that Assad’s forces have been bombarding Homs for five straight days and there are heavy clashes on the ground.
The Syrian National Coalition has appealed to the United Nations and Western countries “to intervene immediately’‘ and provide food and medicine, saying the situation is deteriorating rapidly.
Syrian National Coalition member, Ahmed Marwan, said: “The regime has been bombing Homs for a few days and we really are scared for people there. The civilians there receive a lot of rockets every day, we are not sure about that, we think chemical weapons have been used. So really, we are very concerned about it.”
The appeal comes as Syrian opposition figures meet in Istanbul to elect a new leadership.The opposition say the fall of Homs to regime forces could mean the end of any hope of a political solution to the war.
- 1French Riviera declared ‘disaster zone’ after deadly flash floods
- 2Migrant crisis: Hungary poised to shut unofficial border crossings with Croatia
- 3Conservative coalition on course for another win in Portuguese elections
- 4Russian air strike hits terrorist training camp in Syria, say defence officials
- 5Austerity campaign pays off as Portugal’s centre-right edges into new term
- 1Pope Francis kisses hands of Holocaust survivors
- 2Russia launches more air strikes in Syria
- 3Several reported dead and missing after severe floods in southern France
- 4Migrant crisis: Hungary poised to shut unofficial border crossings with Croatia
- 5Russian air strike hits terrorist training camp in Syria, say defence officials
- 1NASA discovers evidence of “liquid briny water” flowing on Mars
- 2Pope Francis kisses hands of Holocaust survivors
- 3Poland: thousands turn out for anti-immigration protests
- 4Exclusive: shipwatchers chart Russian hardware heading into Med
- 5France claims Russian jets have struck rebel, not IS forces in Homs
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Syrian refugee tripped by shamed camera woman is named
- 3Hungarian camera woman caught on video kicking and tripping migrants could face jail
- 4Hungarian reporter who tripped migrants apologises for her actions
- 5NASA discovers evidence of “liquid briny water” flowing on Mars
- 6Latest News Bulletin
- 7At least 220 dead in stampede outside Mecca, Saudi Arabia reports
- 8International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 9Denmark: launches anti-migrant ad campaign
- 10Hungarian camerawoman fired after being filmed kicking migrants
- 11Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees… or are they?
- 12Spain: Catalan President faces ‘civil disobedience’ charges over breakaway vote
- 13Banzai back in the vocabulary as Japan passes law allowing combat deployments
- 14Exclusive: shipwatchers chart Russian hardware heading into Med
- 15Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees…or are they?
- 16International news | euronews, latest international news
- 17Which European countries offer the most social benefits to migrants?
- 18What the top tweets worldwide are saying about #refugees
- 19[Live] Catalonia: separatists heading for clear win in crucial elections
- 20EU split as UN approves raising of Palestinian flag
Latest world news
Passos Coelho wins re-election in Portugal, says ready to “compromise”
Israel launches airstrikes on targets in Gaza
Typhoon Mujigae rips through Southern China
Palmyra’s sites could disappear within 3-4 months, says antiquities director
Refugees tell of ISIL brutality which forced them to leave Syria
Wires > News
- 11:55 CET Nobel medicine prize awarded for work on parasitic diseases
- 11:41 CET Ukraine starts light weapons withdrawal in east – military
- 11:23 CET Russia escalating Syria war by targeting moderate opposition – U.S.
- 11:12 CET Pope says Church should not be ‘museum of memories’
- 11:07 CET Turkey says Russian warplane violated its airspace
- 10:31 CET No progress in governance across Africa – Ibrahim survey
- 10:08 CET Kyrgyz polls ‘competitive’ but drawbacks remain – Western observers
- 10:06 CET Widow of popular Philippine politician could boost ruling party in…