05/07/13 12:34 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Jean Paul Gaultier pounced back into top form with a feisty feline collection for Paris couture week, showing that despite a few off seasons, he still has several tricks up his sleeve.
The female panther was the inspiration of the show, which featured leopard print tights, amazing feather coats, black crepe dresses and even a pair of chaps inspired by a clown’s costume.
Meanwhile, Valentino’s autumn winter couture show was full of emotion and drama. Over the audience’s heads were animal heads and horns representing the Cabinets of Curiosities from Renaissance times that inspired this collection.
Designers Maria Grazia Chiuri and Pierpaolo Piccioli pulled off an eccentric and imaginative show with Oriental motifs and arabesque patterns fused with Scottish herringbone tweeds and Renaissance capes, alongside embroideries of lion’s heads, bees, beetles and dragonflies.
Elsewhere, Maison Martin Margiela called its show Artisanal and used materials such as latex and denim – a far cry from the usual haute couture fare of silk and organza.
The 19 outfits were organised into four different themes: ‘Ensemble du jour’; ‘Busts’; ‘Night’s bird’; and ‘Promo’s queen’.
But the most important features of this collection were the floral and printed masks worn by hooded models.
And Lebanese designer Elie Saab presented his show at the former stock market in Paris. Called ‘A Royal Affair’, it featured a series of opulent red carpet gowns in a palette of blood reds, blues and greens.
The highlight of the show was the bride’s dress – a silvery gown embroidered with smoked quartz, stones and crystals.
- 1‘Just extraordinary’ – Martha Argerich and the Lucerne Festival Orchestra pay homage to Claudio Abbado
- 2Billy Gibbons goes solo and David Bowie has a new single
- 3Gender bending Japanese makeup ad wins top EPICA prize
- 4Much more than a concert hall – insights from the Chairman of Philharmonie de Paris
- 5Forgotten gems from Wexford Opera Festival
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 7Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 11Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 12Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 13‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 14‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 15International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 16Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 17Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18Iraq: deadly car bombs kill more than 60 in Baghdad
- 19Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary