Jean Paul Gaultier pounced back into top form with a feisty feline collection for Paris couture week, showing that despite a few off seasons, he still has several tricks up his sleeve.
The female panther was the inspiration of the show, which featured leopard print tights, amazing feather coats, black crepe dresses and even a pair of chaps inspired by a clown’s costume.
Meanwhile, Valentino’s autumn winter couture show was full of emotion and drama. Over the audience’s heads were animal heads and horns representing the Cabinets of Curiosities from Renaissance times that inspired this collection.
Designers Maria Grazia Chiuri and Pierpaolo Piccioli pulled off an eccentric and imaginative show with Oriental motifs and arabesque patterns fused with Scottish herringbone tweeds and Renaissance capes, alongside embroideries of lion’s heads, bees, beetles and dragonflies.
Elsewhere, Maison Martin Margiela called its show Artisanal and used materials such as latex and denim – a far cry from the usual haute couture fare of silk and organza.
The 19 outfits were organised into four different themes: ‘Ensemble du jour’; ‘Busts’; ‘Night’s bird’; and ‘Promo’s queen’.
But the most important features of this collection were the floral and printed masks worn by hooded models.
And Lebanese designer Elie Saab presented his show at the former stock market in Paris. Called ‘A Royal Affair’, it featured a series of opulent red carpet gowns in a palette of blood reds, blues and greens.
The highlight of the show was the bride’s dress – a silvery gown embroidered with smoked quartz, stones and crystals.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 6Why World Elephant Day matters
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 9UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 10Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 11Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 12ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 13Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 14Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 15International news | euronews, latest international news
- 16Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 17As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 18Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid