05/07/13 16:46 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Britain is in the grip of an outbreak of royal babyitis as the countdown to birth of the first child of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge begins in ernest.
Even grandfather-to-be Prince Charles is selling baby stuff as are the commoners, the Middleton’s.
Laura Tenison is the founder of baby outlet JoJo Maman Bebe:
“The reality is we needed something that had a feel good factor in this country. We haven’t had the weather this year, but we are getting a royal baby.”
The imminent birth of the child has boosted a flagging British economy to the tune of 278 million euros.
It is always a good time to be a bookie in Britain, and especially good with a royal baby on the way:
Rory Scott is a spokesperson for Paddy Power:
“Royal baby betting is booming and our punters are very excited about this. We are taking bets from the baby’s name, the arrival date, the weight, the hair colour, the magazine with the first pictures, even who is going to be holding the baby outside the church that is in the short term. Longer term if you are slightly more patient you can have as punt on the university the baby will go to, the career choice it will make, whether it will represent team GB in the Olympics, if you think of it, we have a bet for it.”
And then there is the “Kate effect” she appears to have every single royal watcher under her spell.
Watch out for the stork.
Wires > News
- 03:38 CET Cincinnati gorilla killed after boy falls into zoo enclosure
- 01:10 CET Niger says kills 12 Boko Haram fighters in gun battle
- 23:27 CET Canada’s Trudeau defends assisted suicide bill as deadline nears
- 23:20 CET First tropical storm of year to threaten U.S. heads for South…
- 22:01 CET Vintage plane crashed in Hudson River during emergency landing…
- 20:01 CET Chile President Bachelet testifies in tax probe into…
- 19:37 CET German Protestant bishop wants Islam classes in all state schools
- 19:36 CET Iraqi Sunni politicians reject visit by Iran’s Soleimani to Falluja