05/07/13 08:24 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Bolivia’s president Evo Morales has threatened to close the US embassy in his country after his plane was rerouted in Europe.
At a special summit of left-leaning South American leaders, they discussed the incident where Morales’ plane was diverted as he returned from Moscow, where NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden is said to be holed up.
He was forced to land in Austria after EU countries denied him passage on the unfounded suspicion that Snowden was aboard.
Argentinian President Cristina Fernandez said: “One thinks of the developed nations who invest so much money in their intelligence and security apparatuses and then all of a sudden, these very security agencies wrongly informed their governments. Evidently, they informed them that inside President Morale’s plane was a person who was exercising his right to asylum.”
The leaders demanded an apology from France, Portugal, Italy and Spain for their involvement in the incident and protesters outside a US embassy in Bolivia showed their anger at what they saw as European countries bowing to pressure from Washington.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
Latest world news
Women ‘tortured and murdered’ in German ‘House of Horrors’
French parliament debates controversial labour laws as street protests grow
Presidential hopefuls Trump and Clinton shape up as they head for the November 8 showdown
Aleppo – hopes a truce is only “hours away”
TTIP: French president Hollande says France will say no to EU-US trade deal “at this stage”
Wires > News
- 21:53 CET Proposed Irish government to prioritise spending over tax cuts -…
- 20:56 CET Liberian presidential candidate Weah’s lawyers to go to U.S. over…
- 20:30 CET EU executive to propose reforming asylum system
- 19:57 CET Kenya says arrests key member of militant group plotting attacks
- 19:48 CET MSF slams major U.N. powers over hospital attacks
- 19:47 CET Israeli who abducted, killed Palestinian teen gets life term
- 19:22 CET Exclusive – Differences over missile defence, fine print snag…
- 19:05 CET Islamic State kills U.S. Navy SEAL in northern Iraq