From orgies to family-owned strip-joints via a documentary about a 20th century Roma poet – the films in the official selection at the Karlovy Vary film festival in the Czech Republic are wildly varied.
‘XL’ by Icelanic director Marteinn Thorssen is a portrait of debauched senator Leifur Sigurdarson, an unstoppable ladies man and alcoholic who is forced into rehab by his friend and boss, the prime minister of Iceland.
Thorssen said: “I think its an universal issue, its a problem definitely when its not talked about in the news or in the media, you know, for instant when alcoholism isn’t talked about , when Gerard Depardieu is drunk… or when Berlusconi is having his parties you know all this kind of behaviour, Dominique Strauss Kahn, all these people in power, and nobody mentions it.”
Documentary ‘The Manor’ is about Canadian Jewish director Shawney Cohen’s extravagant family, which owns a strip club.
He explained his philosophy: “I think its OK to be dysfunctional and have problems and still try to be a family. I think a lot of families that I know that have similar businesses fall apart: I think what’s amazing about our family in ‘The Manor’, for 30 years we have been going through a very tricky business, a business a lot of people think is something that’s morally not correct and that we were able to survive through and have Passover dinner and argue like a normal family – I think that surprises people.”
And the black-and-white film ‘Papusza’ follows the story of a female Roma poet. The film also gives a wide-angle look at the Roma community, including its experiences during the Second World War.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Syrian refugee tripped by shamed camera woman is named
- 3Hungarian camera woman caught on video kicking and tripping migrants could face jail
- 4Hungarian reporter who tripped migrants apologises for her actions
- 5NASA discovers evidence of “liquid briny water” flowing on Mars
- 6Latest News Bulletin
- 7At least 220 dead in stampede outside Mecca, Saudi Arabia reports
- 8What the top tweets worldwide are saying about #refugees
- 9Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees… or are they?
- 10Hungarian camerawoman fired after being filmed kicking migrants
- 11Which European countries offer the most social benefits to migrants?
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Denmark: launches anti-migrant ad campaign
- 14Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees…or are they?
- 15Spain: Catalan President faces ‘civil disobedience’ charges over breakaway vote
- 16International news | euronews, latest international news
- 17Banzai back in the vocabulary as Japan passes law allowing combat deployments
- 18Exclusive: shipwatchers chart Russian hardware heading into Med
- 19Migrant tripped up in Hungary gets Spanish football job
- 20[Live] All the Rugby World Cup news in one place