Bolivia is in a state of outrage after the plane carrying President Evo Morales was diverted to Vienna amid suspicions that US surveillance whistleblower Edward Snowden was on board.
The presidential plane was carrying the Bolivian entourage home after a visit to Russia.
France and Portugal are reported to have refused access for the plane to cross their airspace.
The Bolivian Defence Minister Ruben Saavreda, also on board the flight, launched a scathing attack on the United States and European authorities:
“We categorically reject this story, we denounce the lies, the plot by the US government, with the aim of harming the image of the Bolivian government and harming the image and leadership of president Evo Morales.”
Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro, also in Russia, criticised the action.
Austrian authorities say Snowden was not on the aircraft.
Snowden is believed to be holed up at a airport in Moscow and is wanted by the US on charges of leaking secrets he obtained while working for the CIA and National Security Agency.
Who will grant Snowden asylum?
Austria – NO Says it can only grant asylum if request is made when on Austrian territory
Bolivia – ? Bolivia say it did not receive Snowden’s application but it would be open to discussions
Brazil – NO Officials have announced they will not grant his request, they will leave it unanswered.
China – ? Officials say they have no information on Snowden’s request
Cuba – ?
Ecuador – NO The president has said Ecuador is not considering the request, as it was made outside Ecuadorean territory
Finland – NO Says it can only grant asylum if request is made when on Finnish territory
France – UNLIKELY. President Hollande says he wants a common EU-wide position
Germany – NO After studying the “legal viability” of the request they rejected the application
Iceland – ?
India – NO India’s foreign ministry says it “sees no reason to accept” Snowden’s request
Italy – ? Says no official request received yet
Ireland – NO Says legally impossible as Snowden is not on Irish territory
Netherlands – UNLIKELY. Says it can only grant asylum if request is made when on Dutch territory
Nicaragua – ?
Norway UNLIKELY. Says it can only grant asylum if request is made when on Norwegian territory
Poland – NO Request rejected
Russia – NO Snowden withdrew the request himself
Spain – NO Says legally impossible as Snowden is not on Spanish territory
Switzerland – UNLIKELY. Says it has not yet received an asylum request and that it can only grant asylum if request is made on Swiss territory.
Venezuela – POSSIBLY. President Maduro says Snowden “needs the world’s protection:”
Snowden scandal: a timeline
- 1Hungary summons French ambassador over border fence row
- 2Protesters angry over destruction of ‘Mephistopheles’ in St Petersburg
- 3Ukraine: angry clashes as bill adopted granting more autonomy in the east
- 4French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius slams Hungary’s ‘migrant fence’
- 5Poland ‘has located’ buried Nazi treasure train
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 6Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 9Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 10Why World Elephant Day matters
- 11International news | euronews, latest international news
- 12UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 13Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 14ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 15Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 16Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 17Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 18As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
Wires > News
- 03:58 CET Brazil convicts Odebrecht Group for slavery-like practices in…
- 03:13 CET Obama pushes for more U.S. ice-breaking might in Arctic
- 03:02 CET Israel slams Palestinians’ push to fly their flag at U.N.
- 03:00 CET At least five dead from Monday’s chemical plant blast in China -…
- 23:49 CET Pope to allow all priests to forgive abortion during Holy Year
- 23:07 CET U.S. drone kills six suspected militants in Pakistan
- 23:02 CET Western-backed Syrian rebels say kill foreign Islamic State…
- 23:00 CET Cameroon involved in Central Africa ‘blood diamond’ trade – …