Tokyo, Istanbul and Madrid – the three candidate cities to host the 2020 Olympic Games – presented the technical aspects of their bids to the IOC members on Wednesday in Lausanne.
Tokyo are looking to host the summer games for a second time after 1964.
Madrid and Istanbul have yet to stage arguably the biggest sporting event on the planet although this is the fifth time in six votes Istanbul have thrown their hat into the ring.
If budgets were to go by Istanbul are the front runners to win the bid as they boast coffers of a reported 12.9 billion euros against Tokyo’s 4.9 and Madrid’s 1.9 billion, however the latter two have a higher level of sporting infrastructure already in place.
But, of course, an IOC report on the three cities indicated there was no clear favourite.
It added the struggling Spanish economy was of no risk to Madrid, security in Turkey did not threaten Istanbul’s chances and Tokyo’s low public support was offset by praise for the bid’s financial strength.
The election of the host city of the 2020 Olympic Games will take place on September 7 during the 125th IOC Session in Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Prior to the IOC members casting their votes, the candidate cities will make their final presentations.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 9Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 10Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
- 20The Pluto flyby : what we’ve learnt so far
Wires > Sport
- 12:44 CET Twente take teenager on loan from Man City
- 12:24 CET Australia reaffirm interest in future Olympic bid
- 12:06 CET Haddin omission hardest decision of my career – Lehmann
- 11:06 CET IOC boss tells Japan ‘no apology needed’ over stadium changes
- 10:52 CET Hopeful sports to face Tokyo grilling
- 10:20 CET Porte joins BMC Racing from Team Sky
- 06:15 CET ‘Cliffy’ back to add heft to Wallabies pack
- 05:59 CET Rio Games torch to be lit in Olympia on April 21, 2106