03/07/13 20:38 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Tokyo, Istanbul and Madrid – the three candidate cities to host the 2020 Olympic Games – presented the technical aspects of their bids to the IOC members on Wednesday in Lausanne.
Tokyo are looking to host the summer games for a second time after 1964.
Madrid and Istanbul have yet to stage arguably the biggest sporting event on the planet although this is the fifth time in six votes Istanbul have thrown their hat into the ring.
If budgets were to go by Istanbul are the front runners to win the bid as they boast coffers of a reported 12.9 billion euros against Tokyo’s 4.9 and Madrid’s 1.9 billion, however the latter two have a higher level of sporting infrastructure already in place.
But, of course, an IOC report on the three cities indicated there was no clear favourite.
It added the struggling Spanish economy was of no risk to Madrid, security in Turkey did not threaten Istanbul’s chances and Tokyo’s low public support was offset by praise for the bid’s financial strength.
The election of the host city of the 2020 Olympic Games will take place on September 7 during the 125th IOC Session in Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Prior to the IOC members casting their votes, the candidate cities will make their final presentations.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Most Istanbul blast victims ‘were German’, says Turkey
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 6Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 7Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 8Partnering to grow Europe
- 9Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 10Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 11Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 12‘National’ funeral for Celine Dion’s husband ‘over the top’
- 13Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 14Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 15Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 16Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 17latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 19Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 20account : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
Wires > Sport
- 22:10 CET Chelsea’s Zouma faces six months out after knee surgery
- 21:06 CET Derby sack Clement after eight months in charge
- 17:59 CET Swedish organisers cut stages after cancellation fears
- 17:16 CET Qatar considering special courts for World Cup offenders
- 16:36 CET Pietersen won’t be selected for World Twenty20 – Morgan
- 15:56 CET Klopp, Sturridge, Coutinho return for Liverpool
- 14:13 CET Fan eyes large windfall if Leicester complete fairytale
- 13:02 CET Swansea must kill off games not hold on to them – Fabianski