03/07/13 20:38 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Tokyo, Istanbul and Madrid – the three candidate cities to host the 2020 Olympic Games – presented the technical aspects of their bids to the IOC members on Wednesday in Lausanne.
Tokyo are looking to host the summer games for a second time after 1964.
Madrid and Istanbul have yet to stage arguably the biggest sporting event on the planet although this is the fifth time in six votes Istanbul have thrown their hat into the ring.
If budgets were to go by Istanbul are the front runners to win the bid as they boast coffers of a reported 12.9 billion euros against Tokyo’s 4.9 and Madrid’s 1.9 billion, however the latter two have a higher level of sporting infrastructure already in place.
But, of course, an IOC report on the three cities indicated there was no clear favourite.
It added the struggling Spanish economy was of no risk to Madrid, security in Turkey did not threaten Istanbul’s chances and Tokyo’s low public support was offset by praise for the bid’s financial strength.
The election of the host city of the 2020 Olympic Games will take place on September 7 during the 125th IOC Session in Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Prior to the IOC members casting their votes, the candidate cities will make their final presentations.
- 1Champions League: Defending champs Barcelona storm into last 16
- 2Britain’s Webb wins Antarctic Ice Marathon
- 3Djokovic downs Federer to secure ATP World Tour title in London
- 4Champions League: Real Madrid hold off Shakhtar to win Group A
- 5FIFA ethics panel calls for sanctions against Blatter and Platini
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 7world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 10latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 11Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 14New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 15‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 16No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
- 17Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 19Latest News Bulletin
- 20Terrorist threat on Europe’s rail network, according to German tabloid
Wires > Sport
- 00:23 CET Briton Fury beats world heavyweight champion Klitschko
- 22:29 CET Record for goal-king Vardy as Leicester hold United
- 19:46 CET McClaren feeling the heat after Newcastle ship five at Palace
- 19:36 CET Mercedes seek guidance on partnership agreements
- 17:14 CET Fury in row over ring canvas for Klitschko fight
- 17:12 CET Vettel caught out as Ferrari get sums wrong
- 15:59 CET Liverpool FA Cup hero Byrne dies at 77
- 15:48 CET Faldo predicts new-look European Ryder Cup team