Tokyo, Istanbul and Madrid – the three candidate cities to host the 2020 Olympic Games – presented the technical aspects of their bids to the IOC members on Wednesday in Lausanne.
Tokyo are looking to host the summer games for a second time after 1964.
Madrid and Istanbul have yet to stage arguably the biggest sporting event on the planet although this is the fifth time in six votes Istanbul have thrown their hat into the ring.
If budgets were to go by Istanbul are the front runners to win the bid as they boast coffers of a reported 12.9 billion euros against Tokyo’s 4.9 and Madrid’s 1.9 billion, however the latter two have a higher level of sporting infrastructure already in place.
But, of course, an IOC report on the three cities indicated there was no clear favourite.
It added the struggling Spanish economy was of no risk to Madrid, security in Turkey did not threaten Istanbul’s chances and Tokyo’s low public support was offset by praise for the bid’s financial strength.
The election of the host city of the 2020 Olympic Games will take place on September 7 during the 125th IOC Session in Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Prior to the IOC members casting their votes, the candidate cities will make their final presentations.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2NASA discovers evidence of “liquid briny water” flowing on Mars
- 3Latest News Bulletin
- 4At least 220 dead in stampede outside Mecca, Saudi Arabia reports
- 5Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees…or are they?
- 6[Live] All the Rugby World Cup news in one place
- 7International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 8Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees… or are they?
- 9International news | euronews, latest international news
- 10Which European countries offer the most social benefits to migrants?
- 11Syrian refugee tripped by shamed camera woman is named
- 12Spain: Catalan President faces ‘civil disobedience’ charges over breakaway vote
- 13Banzai back in the vocabulary as Japan passes law allowing combat deployments
- 14Exclusive: shipwatchers chart Russian hardware heading into Med
- 15Migrant tripped up in Hungary gets Spanish football job
- 16Israel agents ‘incite’ stone-throwing in West Bank
- 17Hungary’s army can shoot rubber bullets and tear gas at refugees
- 18Fifa suspends Blatter, Platini and Valcke
- 19Catalan president Artur Mas charged with organising illegal independence referendum
- 20[Live] Catalonia: separatists heading for clear win in crucial elections
Former Liverpool striker Cisse released following blackmail arrest
Injured Ireland skipper O’Connell retires from international rugby
Slovakia and Russia book Euro 2016 spot as England complete perfect campaign
Poland dent Republic of Ireland’s hopes for Euro 2016
Holland’s Euro 2016 fate lay in Turkey’s hands
Wires > Sport
- 18:15 CET Insatiable Ronaldo collects fourth Golden Shoe award
- 18:13 CET Bayern winger Coman doubtful for Werder game
- 18:08 CET Controversial Effenberg named as Paderborn coach
- 18:03 CET Kyrgios in hot water again in Shanghai
- 17:54 CET UEFA open disciplinary case against Moldovan Federation
- 17:27 CET Twitter suspends two sports accounts after video sharing…
- 17:24 CET Ageing process sees Euroleague kings Real under threat
- 17:20 CET Federer knocked out in Shanghai opener