29/06/13 22:37 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
In Istanbul Taksim Square buzzed with the sound of protesters once again chanting ‘together against fascism’. Thousands gathered to denounce the death at of a Kurdish activist on Friday.
Ten more were also wounded in the clashes with Turkish security forces in Lice, as Kurdish protesters fought against the construction of a new police outpost.
It comes as Kurdish rebels seeking autonomy are leaving Turkey as part of peace negotiations with Ankara.
“Peace will not come with security outposts. Peace will come with more human rights, more freedoms, more democracy but they shot at people who defended those principles. Soldiers at that outpost opened fire on villagers without any warning,” declared Pro-Kurdish politician Sebahat Tuncel.
The incident was the most bloody since a ceasefire was declared in March. The Turkish Interior Minister has launched an inquiry into the circumstances surrounding the death.
Protests which began on May 31 against a police crackdown on an environmental demo spiraled into country-wide unrest. The government remains under pressure at home and abroad for police reactions to demonstrations.
Latest world news
European Union leaders speak with one voice over Istanbul airport attacks
Stranded on plane during Istanbul terror attacks – euronews journalist reports
US college basketball loses coaching legend: Pat Summitt dies, aged 64
IKEA recalls millions of chests and dressers following link to children’s deaths
France: deadly fire engulfs chemical plant near Lyon
Wires > News
- 06:05 CET Exclusive: U.S. to upgrade Thailand in annual human trafficking…
- 02:23 CET Brazil Congress investigates lawmaker’s alleged support of torture
- 01:19 CET Dutch PM Rutte wants ‘binding’ assurances over EU’s Ukraine deal
- 01:18 CET As Duterte takes over in Philippines, police killings stir fear
- 00:15 CET Italy, Netherlands propose split U.N. Security Council seat for…
- 00:12 CET Clinton leads Trump by 11 points in U.S. presidential race -…
- 00:09 CET Canada presses China over reports of Hong Kong visa clamp down
- 23:44 CET Exclusive – Trump supporters more likely to view blacks…