As many celebrated gay pride across the world, a peaceful protest for gay rights in Russia descended into violence as anti-gay protesters threw eggs, smoke flares and stones at the group of around 100 activists.
Police detained several people from both sides amid clashes in St Petersburg, according to a state-run news agency.
It comes two weeks after the parliament passed a bill banning what they label homosexual ‘propaganda’.
The ‘Equal Rights’ (Ravnopraviye) group had claimed the right to protest against the law in the Field of Mars as it requires no prior permission. Though a city official said the protest infringed a law effectively banning gay pride rallies.
The incident acts to highlight increasing hostility towards homosexuals in Russia.
A recent law was passed which restricts foreign gay couples from adopting Russian children.
- 1Aylan Kurdi: the boy whose picture broke the world’s heart
- 2Father of Syrian boy washed up on Turkish beach recalls boat horror
- 3Bicske: Hundreds refusing to leave migrant train
- 4Artist pays tribute to Aylan Kurdi and Good Samaritan
- 5Turkey calls on nations to be more sensitive to the refugee crisis
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 6Why World Elephant Day matters
- 7Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 8Latest News Bulletin
- 9Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 10UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 11Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 17As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 18European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 19International news | euronews, latest international news
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
Latest world news
Cameron bows to pressure as Britain set to let in more Syrian refugees
Overnight stand-off as migrants refuse to go to Hungary refugee camp
Drowned Syrian boy’s story stirs strong emotions over migrant crisis
Guatemala President Perez behind bars amid corruption probe
Migrant transit route Libya urges outside help to combat crisis
Wires > News
- 09:24 CET British, Spanish prime ministers make joint call for EU reform
- 09:20 CET Saudi security forces kill ‘terrorist’ in Abqaiq – state TV
- 09:07 CET Russia says Syria’s Assad ready to share power with opposition
- 09:03 CET Hungary’s Orban warns of ‘tens of millions’ of migrants
- 08:51 CET Losses from Chinese port explosions seen at up to 2.16 billion…
- 07:21 CET U.S. men who thwarted France train attack to be honoured in…
- 07:09 CET Coming home to war – Afghan refugees return reluctantly from…
- 07:06 CET Saudi king to meet with Obama amid Gulf concerns over Iran deal