As many celebrated gay pride across the world, a peaceful protest for gay rights in Russia descended into violence as anti-gay protesters threw eggs, smoke flares and stones at the group of around 100 activists.
Police detained several people from both sides amid clashes in St Petersburg, according to a state-run news agency.
It comes two weeks after the parliament passed a bill banning what they label homosexual ‘propaganda’.
The ‘Equal Rights’ (Ravnopraviye) group had claimed the right to protest against the law in the Field of Mars as it requires no prior permission. Though a city official said the protest infringed a law effectively banning gay pride rallies.
The incident acts to highlight increasing hostility towards homosexuals in Russia.
A recent law was passed which restricts foreign gay couples from adopting Russian children.
- 1EgyptAir crash: airline says Flight MS804 wreckage found
- 2Venezuela economy fractured with shortages of essentials across the country
- 3The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 4Crimean Tatars look for Eurovision boost on day of national tragedy
- 5Kazakh police break up anti-government protests
Latest world news
Kurdish-led militias launch offensive against ISIL-held Raqqa
Paris attacks: victims families seek answers
UN chief Ban voices his disappointment as first World Humanitarian Summit closes
Monsanto rejects Bayer multi-billion dollar bid
US comedian Bill Cosby ordered to stand trial for sexual assault
Wires > News
- 00:50 CET Pakistan can’t confirm Taliban leader is dead, criticises …
- 23:17 CET Daughter of detained Hong Kong bookseller appeals for U.S. help
- 23:01 CET Brazil’s Temer seeks constitutional change to curb public spending
- 22:19 CET Egyptian appeals court cancels five-year jail terms for 47 over…
- 22:11 CET Thousands of migrants saved in 23 rescue operations off Libya
- 22:07 CET Myanmar poet’s jail term ‘like from the old days’
- 21:21 CET U.S.-backed Syrian alliance launches new attack near IS capital
- 21:14 CET Two Colombian journalists missing after Spanish reporter vanishes